35 Classic vs. Executioner >

35 Classic vs. Executioner

Notices

35 Classic vs. Executioner

Old 03-22-2006, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35 Classic vs. Executioner

I was talking with Chris at Fountain this week. I asked him if the bottom on the new boat and my boat were the same - yes. So the only way the new boats are recording 5 more mph than my boat at the factory, 75 vs. 80, was the drive height (16 3/4 vs. 19); and the gear ratio (1.65 vs. 1.50). So, theoretically, if I increase my drive height I should also pick up about the same speed. With the different gear ratios, I will be turning a smaller prop, but I don't think that should make too much difference. Fountain is using a 4 blade Bravo, not the Hydromotive that came with my boat.

I am still trying to justify the purchase of shorties with my increased power. I think that I have myself about talked into it. Anybody have any additional thoughts? Thanks.
Old 03-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Registered

Default Re: 35 Classic vs. Executioner

I have an 05 35 EX. Long time to plane compared to my older 32.
Dont know how much is because of the high X-dim and 1.65
drives,or its because it just a bigger boat. Good top end,not
80,more like 78 mph. Seems to take a long time to get there
though.......
Old 03-22-2006, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Rebel Heat
You are looking for the same basic info that I have been trying to sort out in respect to this shortie drive / "X" deal. Know you have been to the "Shortie" post as well. Here is some info for you based on what I have gathered so far, and past experience --- The -2 lower is likely worth 3 Maybe 4 MPH and will need a prop change to more pitch. Still not sure on the handling effects, but the newer Executioners seem to run out alright with no adverse effects, based on what I have seen. In terms of the gear ratios when you go from the 1.50 gear to the 1.65 you will have to go to a higher pitch prop; if you go to a 1.36 ratio from the 1.50 you will drop down in pitch. I played this gear ratio game with my last boat, a 32 Velocity w/ tweeked 525SC's / 600+ HP; results were the boat was a couple MPH faster with a 1.36 gear and 27" Hydros vs a 1.50 gear and 30" Hydros, ran high 90's , but the acceleration and mid range punch was noticebly better with the 1.50 gear set up. I stayed with the 1.50 set up for the mid range and also because the 1.36 set up was very short lived due to the higher gear speed and heat generated gear failure was not acceptable. The newer Executioners w/ 496's I have run across with the 1.65 gear set up seem to run 32" Bravos, while this set up runs out around 78 - 80 MPH the owners claim it takes forever to get there. Based on what I have gathered the 1.65 gear set is not always the norm in the newer Executioners, some have it and some do not. Based on past experience I will stick to the 1.50 gear set up on my 99 35 Lightning for the overall performance and maybe change to a -2" lower to pick up a few MPH, possibly with a change to a 5 blade prop as well. Hopefuly this helps you some and hopefuly others will step up and share more info on this. I would be interested in Ram-Dom 32's opinion on the -2 Sportmasters he tested in terms of the handling and speed gains, hope he posts the info for us! Good luck! Keep this going and maybe we can sort this out.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by epeek
I have an 05 35 EX. Long time to plane compared to my older 32.
Dont know how much is because of the high X-dim and 1.65
drives,or its because it just a bigger boat. Good top end,not
80,more like 78 mph. Seems to take a long time to get there
though.......
Epeek,
You were replying at same time as I was. I type real slooooow! What you say is right in line with what others with your same set up have told me.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Epeek,
You were replying at same time as I was. I type real slooooow! What you say is right in line with what others with your same set up have told me.
I cant really seem to get an answer,but I dont think
the 32 bravo is the optimal prop. I'm bangin the limiters
when wide open. Seems like she got more in her.
I wonder if 5 blade maximus would make a differance.
possibly a labbed 34 ? It calculates to about 16%
slip,but i think a 34 would be to much.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:22 PM
Registered

Epeek,
I see your from Lake Geo, do you hang with Monte in the Bay? Boat sits at Chanelside on occasion during the season? If so you should talk to Monte about the 5 blades, he has done a lot of testing and is a wealth of information.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:27 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies. As I have read and been told, the 5 blade prop will not help with top end even with shorties. As long as it comes on plane, use a 4 blade prop. I don't know from personal experience.

I am trying to decide on the expensive option of the shortie. As I have posted before - the Bravo Shop 2" lower w/ upgraded shaft runs $3,380. I don't think they are experiencing water pressure problems like the Imco has.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Epeek,
I see your from Lake Geo, do you hang with Monte in the Bay? Boat sits at Chanelside on occasion during the season? If so you should talk to Monte about the 5 blades, he has done a lot of testing and is a wealth of information.
I pretty much know everyone with a peformence boat
up here.The name monte doesnt ring a bell though.
Whats he runnin?
Old 03-23-2006, 09:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I am pretty sure that HPFountain (Vinnie from Mariners Cove Marina) tried the Maximus props on an '05 35 EX, my recall is that he obtained a bit better top end with much better acceleration and midrange...maybe he will chime in here with the actual results. Good luck to all.

GF
Old 03-25-2006, 12:41 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

A bit off topic but Executioners I see all seem to be single step where as the Lightnings are twin step?

Quick Reply: 35 Classic vs. Executioner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.