Sea strainer question >

Sea strainer question

Notices

Sea strainer question

Old 06-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sea strainer question

I have an 06 42 Executioner with 525's and the factory (single) sea strainer. I was in FL recently and ran the boat in some very shallow water and was concerned it could have sucked up some sand. Took the strainer top off later to clean the filter only to find there wasn't one. How does the thing work? I thought there was supposed to be a bucket-like thing in there you pulled out and cleaned, like a swimming pool filter. There was nothing in the cannister but water and a metal screen at the bottom that is permanently mounted and does not come out. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:47 PM
Registered

Default Re: Sea strainer question

The screen is the filter. Clean the stuff off that collects on it and put the lid back on. Not really going to collect small particulate like sand but will trap anything larger.

You only have one strainer? Should be one for each motor.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the unit you have should be very similiar to this one. it holds about 3 gallons, has a screen bolted in place at the bottom for debri. it is factory installed , and not what consumer's are used to seeing. the advatage is the capacity and the ability to draw from 2 sources, should one become clogged. also does not allow the engines to loose water while driving hard and repetitive launching.

keep in mind theree are no strainers that will strain sand or anything of that size. strainers help prevent clogging , but the need to back flush routinely remains.

good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Sea strainer question-p1010056.jpg  
Old 06-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Registered

Hmm...have not seen one of those before. But I also have not been around many '05s or newer.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 431 Likes on 208 Posts

My 06 Lightning also has a single strainer. It's huge! I was also told it is a hold over from racing that allows for a large volume of water so repeated out of water launches won't starve the motors for water. Pretty neat how it draws water from two sources and it also means I can flush both motors at the same time with only one hose attachment!
Old 06-05-2006, 06:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by techman
My 06 Lightning also has a single strainer. It's huge! I was also told it is a hold over from racing that allows for a large volume of water so repeated out of water launches won't starve the motors for water. Pretty neat how it draws water from two sources and it also means I can flush both motors at the same time with only one hose attachment!

Old 06-05-2006, 08:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by monstaaa
the unit you have should be very similiar to this one. it holds about 3 gallons, has a screen bolted in place at the bottom for debri. it is factory installed , and not what consumer's are used to seeing. the advatage is the capacity and the ability to draw from 2 sources, should one become clogged. also does not allow the engines to loose water while driving hard and repetitive launching.

keep in mind theree are no strainers that will strain sand or anything of that size. strainers help prevent clogging , but the need to back flush routinely remains.

good luck.
Thanks for the info. BTW, how do you "back flush" the strainer, and how do you know when to do it? Is this done using the fresh water flush attachment?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:18 AM
Registered

monstaaa,
Who makes that strainer?
Thanks,
Dan
Old 06-06-2006, 05:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Memphis
Thanks for the info. BTW, how do you "back flush" the strainer, and how do you know when to do it? Is this done using the fresh water flush attachment?

not the strainer, the engine. you would back flush by removing the water hose that runs from your pump outlet to your cooler ( in most cases). then remove the lines from the t-stat/ water outlet housing, or discharge on the heat exchanger if your engines is fresh water cooled, and then proceed to back flush using fresh water from a garden hose. this will remove any debri caught in your cooling system that has passed the screen in your strainer. you may also want to remove the block drains( on salt water cooled engines only) as to make sure there is no sand or sludge pluging your block.

good luck.
Old 06-06-2006, 05:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by candyman35
monstaaa,
Who makes that strainer?
Thanks,
Dan
give Martin Sanbourne a call at Fountain, in the service department. he will be more than able to help you. tell him the monsta said to call .