Notices

42 Ex vs. 42 Lightning

Old 08-11-2006, 08:21 AM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 42 Ex vs. 42 Lightning

Originally Posted by FeverMike
That water line is at rest...running at speed is what counts. I am not dissing Fountain by any means...I own a Fountain and would own a 42 Fountain in a heartbeat. It is just surprising that a 38 TS/TG Cig is running mid to upper 80's with twin 525's. That is a huge heavy wet hull to be at those speeds. I thought they ran 80 on a good day. I guess Cig got there hull desgin together. Anyway, I know a guy in MD that has a 2002/3 38 Cig Gun with 575's and it ran 90 when he got it but I believe he added chillers, smaller pully and the computer was re-mapped and now he runs upper 90's. The Joker here on OSO has a 38 TS/TG Cig with 575's that would run 93mph. A new 42 Fountain with the new 600's will run 90-92mph.
ASG has one of the nicest TSG's out there with 575's. I'm pretty sure he see's a consistent 89.9, but got 92 out of it at lake X. My 42 w/ the new 600's (which is 4 sale ) will run mid 93-95 w/ 5 people and fuel, etc.......
Old 08-11-2006, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

That water line is at rest...running at speed is what counts. I am not dissing Fountain by any means...I own a Fountain and would own a 42 Fountain in a heartbeat. It is just surprising that a 38 TS/TG Cig is running mid to upper 80's with twin 525's. That is a huge heavy wet hull to be at those speeds. I thought they ran 80 on a good day. I guess Cig got there hull desgin together. Anyway, I know a guy in MD that has a 2002/3 38 Cig Gun with 575's and it ran 90 when he got it but I believe he added chillers, smaller pully and the computer was re-mapped and now he runs upper 90's. The Joker here on OSO has a 38 TS/TG Cig with 575's that would run 93mph. A new 42 Fountain with the new 600's will run 90-92mph.
It's so obvious that the Cig hulls are better and that is why they currently dominate all of the Offshore Racing series and hold nearly every kilo record on the books. The overwhelming number of racers who choose the Cigs to compete in tells my everything that I need to know about their hulls.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
It's so obvious that the Cig hulls are better and that is why they currently dominate all of the Offshore Racing series and hold nearly every kilo record on the books. The overwhelming number of racers who choose the Cigs to compete in tells my everything that I need to know about their hulls.

popcorn please
Old 08-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 157 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Fanatic
I have a friend who has a 2002/3 twin step gun with 575's and he says it runs 90.

I think the Top gun t/s hulls are dangerous though.

http://media.putfile.com/ejection

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...9&postcount=25

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...8&postcount=30

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...1&postcount=33

Fountains are safer and faster, period.

I don't think so. I hear the Cig guys and all the other Fountain haters saying that all the time, but look carefully at the pictures below. Notice the water line up to the point of the nose on each boat.
Yeah....that's a Gladiator in the video and that is in race conditions. The Top Gun T/S hull is dangerous only if you don't know how to drive it. Actually, that's with any Twin Step hull I watched a guy flip his 35' Fountain a few weeks ago...is it safer than a Cig? No.

Generally speaking......A 38 T/S Cigarette w/a cabin and 525's runs 85-87mph. A 575SCI boat will run 86-88mph and there are a few exceptions like ASG's, Joker's old boat, our 38 T/S that run beyond those speeds.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lucky Strike Jr
Yeah....that's a Gladiator in the video and that is in race conditions. The Top Gun T/S hull is dangerous only if you don't know how to drive it. Actually, that's with any Twin Step hull I watched a guy flip his 35' Fountain a few weeks ago...is it safer than a Cig? No.
Wow! So DLAW doesn't know how to drive a boat? Tres doesn't know how to drive? Funny stuff.

Dlaws boat is going around a curve and the back slides out. Here are his comments...

"I can assure you that Phil spun that boat...maybe not in a race but he spun it. I say that because every boat that I have bought that has been raced has been over, now some would say that it was due to inexperience but that would not explain why Tres, Bob, Todd, etc went over also. The Virgin boat was the worst. First, Tres got sideways a few times in testing, then Kevin King and Gil Leiber almost got killed in a GLSCS race, the Diamond Dave and Val spun, and then Bruce and I got tossed..... That boat will spank you the minute you stop paying close attention. My Super V went over with the Rodriguez team, then with Bob Bull so many times he joked about painting a canopy on the bottom!!! Brian Hollis took a few, Dick Simon took a nice swim with Stinson on the sticks, on and on and on....... I think quite a few Cigs have been over in testing and fear of hurting resale has kept lips shut tight. Now this is not to say that in the right hands these boats can be competitive, but the right hands are Todd and Tres or Bob...... the rest of us mere mortals better know how to swim after a 80mph hit or how to breathe on oxygen inverted until the cabin fills up enough to push the hatch open. Thats a fact.

Take a look and tell me what went wrong..... slow turn, no interruption in water (we were in 1st), no wacky control inputs.... Its a design flaw.

Last edited by Fanatic; 08-11-2006 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:28 PM
Registered

That water line is at rest...running at speed is what counts.
Running? Incorrect. Depending on speed only a couple of feet are going to be in the water in any boat.
It's at rest which is how waterline is measured. Fountain with its "beak" clearly has more in the water than the Cigs.

It is just surprising that a 38 TS/TG Cig is running mid to upper 80's with twin 525's. That is a huge heavy wet hull to be at those speeds. I thought they ran 80 on a good day. I guess Cig got there hull desgin together.
Straight line speed but not stability like turning. Watch the video.

Anyway, I know a guy in MD that has a 2002/3 38 Cig Gun with 575's and it ran 90 when he got it but I believe he added chillers, smaller pully and the computer was re-mapped and now he runs upper 90's. The Joker here on OSO has a 38 TS/TG Cig with 575's that would run 93mph. A new 42 Fountain with the new 600's will run 90-92mph.
They are fast no doubt. But Fountain has a superior better performing hull, period.
Ask Dlaw and those who have raced the stepped Cig hulls what their opinion is.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:15 PM
Registered

Remember a new 38 Lighning runs 103-106 mph on 600's.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is a huge heavy wet hull to be at those speeds..
My 42 x weighs 10300 per factory. How much does a T/S Gun weigh? I'm guessing lighter but with more fiberglass/freeboard.
Old 08-11-2006, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

WOW I am just trying to discuss some things not slam anyone or any boat manufacture so I do not apreciate the slams toward me. Look at my screen name, look at the boats I've owned and now own and look at my post's sticking up for Fountain...I am a Fountain fan OK? No need to flame and slam me...I am just thinking out load and talking here.
But I see the 42 Fountain with 525's runs 84...my dealer ran a new low hour 42 EX with 525's to 82 with a normal load and good chop on the water he reported to me. The Fountain weights around 1000lbs more than the 38 Cig according to both websites so there might be your speed difference due to overall hull length.
I did some measuring on a 42 and consider the beak on a 42 to be 1 foot. Some beaks like on my 38TE are longer. Then the 42 has a notched transom plus the swim platform. So from the drain plug to the end of the platform the is around 3 feet. That puts the waterline (usable hull) at around 38 feet. The 38 Cig does not count the bolt on platform as part of the length but measures 37'6" so that is why I compare the 38 Cig or 39 Cig to a 42 Fountain. Again, not starting an argument here but just did not realize the 38 Cig with 525's will run 87-88mph compared to the 42 Fountains claim of 84.
OK I'm done rambling!
Old 08-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fanatic
Remember a new 38 Lighning runs 103-106 mph on 600's.
I the 38 Lightning is really a 34'6" hull too. Even next to a 38 Cig it looks smaller and inside feels smaller. Great boat though and for around the Tampa area I'd own one in a heartbeat.
My 38TE center console Fountain really only is a 34' hull due to the large beak and the huge engine bracket...but it is so cool because it is 10'6" wide and still does 73 mph.

Quick Reply: 42 Ex vs. 42 Lightning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.