Rear Die downs >

Rear Die downs

Notices

Rear Die downs

Old 08-15-2006, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Die downs

My boat is 3 in a half hours away and i need to know what size rear tie downs, in Feet, for a 32, on a myco, I need in order to have them made.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rear Die downs

I just went to Walmart and purchased the ratchet style. About 3500lbs each, one in front w/ trailer strap, two in the back on each eye..

WILL
Old 08-15-2006, 03:35 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is 25" eye to tie down when it is tight. Trailer tie down is straight down below the tab on the outer corner above the red reflectors. Probably another 10-12" of strapping coiled up, so more than likely a standard 2"x 3' transom strap.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Mine is 25" eye to tie down when it is tight. Trailer tie down is straight down below the tab on the outer corner above the red reflectors. Probably another 10-12" of strapping coiled up, so more than likely a standard 2"x 3' transom strap.
What size axles are on that eagle and have you had problems.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

6000# 8 lugs. No problems at all. I thought about a tri axle when I ordered this trailer, but don't like the wheel flex when turning sharp. Know of a couple hub/bearings popped doing that. So I choose to go the tandem axle route with the HD springs/axles/wheels/tires.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:11 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
6000# 8 lugs. No problems at all. I thought about a tri axle when I ordered this trailer, but don't like the wheel flex when turning sharp. Know of a couple hub/bearings popped doing that. So I choose to go the tandem axle route with the HD springs/axles/wheels/tires.
Thanks
Old 08-23-2006, 05:16 PM
Registered

I have never tied the transom down. But a friend got a ticket for running an unsecured load. If there is enough force to lift a 8000 lb boat off a trailer ,I will bet you will need more than tie downs. But they should be used I guess.
Old 08-23-2006, 05:42 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carney
I have never tied the transom down. But a friend got a ticket for running an unsecured load. If there is enough force to lift a 8000 lb boat off a trailer ,I will bet you will need more than tie downs. But they should be used I guess.

There are some nasty pics on a thread from last year - you want tie downs! If the winch cable ever failed or maybe the winch itself a boat can slide right off the trailer when accelerating or climbing a hill
Old 08-23-2006, 08:56 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Originally Posted by carney

While towing a few yrs ago, I hit the brakes harder than normal. Not enough to lock the wheels, or think anything about it. Then later while gassing the truck and doing a walk around, noticed the boat was further forward on the bunks and rear tie downs where looser than normal. Just figured I loaded it that way, until I noticed the winch stand had slide forward 3". Bunks were several days dry, not wet and slippery. So boats can move on the trailers. I always use my straps. And since then, 2 bow straps to the trailer frame.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:57 AM
Registered

When i bought my boat, the previous owner said he never tied it down. I towed it home that way and didn't have a problem.

But last time i was coming down the highway, there was a guy in the middle lane with a 23-25' center console with twin outboards. On "normal" bumps going down the highway at 65 mph I could see 2-3" of air under his boat.

I don't have a good place to tie down my transom, so i just wrap the strap around the bunk. It won't stop the boat from sliding forward, but it'll keep it attached to the trailer. In the front, I have the winch strap, the safety chain, and another strap tying the boat down and back.