35 Lightning vs. 35 Executioner

Notices

35 Lightning vs. 35 Executioner

Old 11-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35 Lightning vs. 35 Executioner

Hi,
I am new to the fountain world. I currently have a 32' Spectra and am looking to up grade to a Fountain. Because of my slip size I am limited to 35' maximum. I have been looking at 2003 35' Executioners and now a 2000 35' Lightning with 500 hp's. I noticed that the 2000 has one step in the hull and the 2003 has 2 or 3 steps. What is the difference, how does it affect the handling/ride. Any advice or recomendations will be appreciated and helpfull to me so I can make an educated decision.
Thanks,
David
West Hills, CA & Lake Havasu, AZ
Old 11-11-2006, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts
Thumbs up Re: 35 Lightning vs. 35 Executioner

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob
Hi,
I am new to the fountain world. I currently have a 32' Spectra and am looking to up grade to a Fountain. Because of my slip size I am limited to 35' maximum. I have been looking at 2003 35' Executioners and now a 2000 35' Lightning with 500 hp's. I noticed that the 2000 has one step in the hull and the 2003 has 2 or 3 steps. What is the difference, how does it affect the handling/ride. Any advice or recomendations will be appreciated and helpfull to me so I can make an educated decision.
Thanks,
David
West Hills, CA & Lake Havasu, AZ

Welcome to Reggie Land. If you go over to the "Technical" section under General Q&A there is a thread "Fountain Executioner vs Lightning". I would move it over here if I knew how, but don't, and I'm too lazy to retype my post. You will find some info there that may help. I did post to it just now to bring it back up to the top, it was back several pages. Hope this helps, keep asking questions here, you'll find a lot of opinions and info from we Fountain fans.

I have a 35 now, a '99 w 500's, which is the single step hull design used on the newer Executioners.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 11-11-2006 at 06:52 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: 35 Lightning vs. 35 Executioner

Thank you for the very informative write up. What kind of performance numbers do you get from your boat, it sounds similar to the 2000 with 500 hp's that I am looking at? Also can you tell me how high it sits on the trailer? That is a critical measurement for me as my garage in Havasu has a maximum vertical clearance of 7'10" so the boat on the trailer must be lower than that. The boat I am considering is across the country so I can't actually see it, and it doesn't have a trailer, so I will have the option to have one built (lower if necessary).
Thanks again,
David
Old 11-11-2006, 10:14 AM
Registered

Thank you for the very informative write up. What kind of performance numbers do you get from your boat, it sounds similar to the 2000 with 500 hp's that I am looking at? Also can you tell me how high it sits on the trailer? That is a critical measurement for me as my garage in Havasu has a maximum vertical clearance of 7'10" so the boat on the trailer must be lower than that. The boat I am considering is across the country so I can't actually see it, and it doesn't have a trailer, so I will have the option to have one built (lower if necessary).
Thanks again,
David

David,

Glad that helped. On the trailer deal, found a new inside storage spot for mine two weeks ago and the door is a std 8' high. As trimed out it has 7'10" clear, but the door itself hangs down a couple inches so I measured the boat/ trailer to the top of the windshield to be sure, if I remember right it was 7' 6" with a straight edge across the windshield, it fit in with a couple inches to spare. My trailer is an Eagle tandem with 16.5 tires, I figured if I had to I could gain a couple inches by droping the air pressure, but didn't have to.

The 1999 and 2000 are the same hull, some refer to the 2000 as the Classic, mine has the HP 500 carb engines and I run 26" Hydromotive non-lab and /or 28" Bravo lab finished props. Both sets run an everyday 80 mph and both sets will see a couple more in the right water.

BTW if you are truly in the market for a 35, I am looking for a larger Fountain now, and mine would fit in your garage just fine. Let me know if you might be interested, it is likely/most likely one of the cleanest ones out there. I'll be out truck shopping the rest of the day, mine goes away on monday, but I'll get back to you if you want some more info.

Peter

P.S. BTW where is the boat you are considering?

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 11-11-2006 at 10:23 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:50 AM
Registered

The boat I am considering is across the country so I can't actually see it. David

Here's one you can actually see! Go to the Formula section of the owners forum here on OSO, to the thread "Fort Lauderdale Show" by axapowell,to page #3, to post #52, and click on the putfile video link.

Peter

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 11-11-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 01:38 PM
Registered

I brought this over here.....posted by Ragged Edge

Both are 35' models but that is where the similarity ends. The Executioner is the older single step design with the more traditional/ classic look. When the "new" twin step, taller deck, full windshield version first came out some buyers prefered the more traditional Fountain look. Fountain then brought it back as the 35 Classic to satisfy those buyers. The move proved sucessful and after several model years they came up with the concept to package the model with the 496 engine only, limited options, and two color schemes, the Executioner as we know it, and offered at a "special" price, considerably less than the 35 Lightning. The concept has worked well, as the model remains popular today. You can now get engine options and add equiptment and more custom paint which appears to have further added to it's popularity.

The 35 Lightning is the newer twin step model. A different bottom design being twin step vs. a single, the model is 6-8 mph faster with like power. The look is much different in that it is a taller boat and has a full glass styled windshield, much like a Formula, a roomier cabin, and comes standard with more equiptment than the Executioner. An expanded galley area with a fridge etc. and a beter equipted head, full bimini top and enclosure etc.

Marketing at it's best. Give the buyer the option of the newer style loaded model or the traditional look at a more affordable price minus some frills, and the added speed attainable with the twin step design. It has worked for Fountain, so well that the 42 is also now available as an Executioner or Lightning model, same basis with a few twists. The 42's share the twin step bottoms and use different top deck designs. One the newer look the other the older classic look. Formula is now playing with a similiar concept with the 35 Sport model vs. their 35 Fastech, the Sport being lighter in terms of options and price, in contrast to the Fountains they use the same design/molds to build each model.

Easy to explain. Long winded, but pretty easy.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:22 PM
Registered

Great write up by Ragged Edge. Save the money, buy the 35 Executioner. Boat rides great, looks great and with the 496 burns an average of 22 gph and will run 80. To get a lightning with a set of 500s you are going to have to go back to about 01 to get a price comparable to an 04 or 05 Ex with 496s. I was looking for a lightning when I ran into my Ex. and ended up picking up a boat with 37 hours with a triple axle Roadrunner trailer that had been stored indoors. If you have a litttle patience sooner or later you will find one in your neighborhood that the owner will be willing to give away. The 500s will require valve teain maintenance at 250 hours and will need a refresh at 500 - The 496s wont

Last edited by 35 fountain; 11-11-2006 at 02:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Downtown42
I brought this over here.....posted by Ragged Edge. .
How did you do that? I'm sure it's easy, no doubt a long winded explaination too. Not real computer savy myself, chitt I'm still looking for the spark plugs in this laptop. Thanks DT!!!

Now how do we get axapowell's video over here as well? You could work on that one for me too.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 11-11-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Registered

Cool Re: 35 Lightning vs. 35 Executioner

[QUOTE=35 fountain]Great write up by Ragged Edge. QUOTE]

Thank you!!! Anything for the cause. Now if you guys can talk Reggie into hiring me to be his right hand "go to guy", I can move south and have a longer boating season, not to mention being able to play with all the new chitt at the factory. There's an idea you guys convince Reggie that his time is better spent tending to the "BIG" issues and he should delegate all the factory test report work to me. Tell him I'll work cheap.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
David,

BTW if you are truly in the market for a 35, I am looking for a larger Fountain now, and mine would fit in your garage just fine. Let me know if you might be interested, it is likely/most likely one of the cleanest ones out there. I'll be out truck shopping the rest of the day, mine goes away on monday, but I'll get back to you if you want some more info.

Peter

P.S. BTW where is the boat you are considering?
Hi Peter,
The boat I am looking at is in Ft Lauderdale, FL and I am in the Los Angeles area, couldn't be much farther away. What are the details on your boat, how many hrs? what are you asking for it $$? I actually was hoping to get one with EFI because in the summer in Lake Havasu when it is so hot (115+) the gas perks out of a carb and it is hard to start then engines. The video clip of your boat on Lake Ontario was very impressive looking, I like the colors. Please let me know the details.
Thanks,
David Kahn
818-716-4080 home
818-464-5246 cell
800-660-5246 office
[email protected]

Quick Reply: 35 Lightning vs. 35 Executioner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.