Fountain: Left-hand Throttle

Notices

Fountain: Left-hand Throttle

Old 12-15-2006, 04:51 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Fountain: Left-hand Throttle

Too may people harp over this. It takes no more than a few minutes, then it's just second nature, you don't even notice it.

I actually prefer it because I suck at backing up looking over my shoulder. My best method is to stand up in the center, facing the rear and operating the levers just like a joysticks.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you will like it and only takes a little time. Reggie said in our club private party last year that when he is riding as passenger and doesn't like the way his customer is testing the boat, he can quick lean over and chop the sticks if needed.

Just like the beak, different than all the rest out there. Plus it looks cool.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Yes you will like it and only takes a little time. Reggie said in our club private party last year that when he is riding as passenger and doesn't like the way his customer is testing the boat, he can quick lean over and chop the sticks if needed.

Just like the beak, different than all the rest out there. Plus it looks cool.
I've heard he's done that quite a few times.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I actually prefer it because I suck at backing up looking over my shoulder. My best method is to stand up in the center, facing the rear and operating the levers just like a joysticks.
That works for me too...I didnt think I would get used to the lefty controls but it REALLY does only take a few minutes of run time.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:23 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 10x
What he told me a few years ago when I asked him.
First of all, he's NOT left handed, he's right handed. He feels that since most people are right handed, usually that's their strongest hand. That being said, why would you want you strongest hand on the throttles instead of holding the wheel.
Years ago in offshore racing, we did'nt have such a modern steering system such as all the powersteerings etc, etc. Back then, it was a challenge to be able to hold on to the wheel with being thrown around in the boat in and out of the swells. His idea was to keep your strongest hand on the steering wheel instead of the throttles. The idea of another throttleman in the middle was the second reason.
Makes sense to me here. My problem is so many years with hot rod stick shift cars, my left hand is trained to do the pointin' and the right is for gettin' after it. Couple of seasons and it still is not 100% natural yet. I do like the around the dock deal though. I think if I ever was able to have a new one built I would try to get them split, shift to the left and throttle to the right, best of both worlds.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 12-16-2006 at 08:25 AM.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:40 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when people start asking "can I drove the boat?" you'll feel more secure with your paw on the sticks....
Old 12-16-2006, 12:38 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Makes sense to me here. My problem is so many years with hot rod stick shift cars, my left hand is trained to do the pointin' and the right is for gettin' after it. Couple of seasons and it still is not 100% natural yet. I do like the around the dock deal though. I think if I ever was able to have a new one built I would try to get them split, shift to the left and throttle to the right, best of both worlds.
I changed mine over to the right, just to have the sticks closer to me. With them being on the left, your arm is always hanging in mid air with your hand on the sticks, and when you're trying to cruise threw sloppy, bumpy water, it seems like your arm always wants to go up and down, therefore you're constantly changing the rpm's of the engines every time your arm moves from banging another swell.

And NO, I don't let anyone drive the boat, that is until they buy it.
Attached Thumbnails Fountain: Left-hand Throttle-ftn-dash-3-jan-04-110-.jpg   Fountain: Left-hand Throttle-interior.jpg   Fountain: Left-hand Throttle-interior6.jpg  

www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 12-16-2006, 02:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
I agree - I put 60 hours on the boast last season and I am still not used to it yet and im a lefty. Seems like everything is backwards when backing in - not really sure why. You do get more used to it as time goes on but to me the right hand throttles feel more natural.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Registered

I'm right handed and use mouse on left. Type with right, mouse on left. Try it, you have all winter to play Reggie
Old 12-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 10x
I changed mine over to the right, just to have the sticks closer to me. With them being on the left, your arm is always hanging in mid air with your hand on the sticks, and when you're trying to cruise threw sloppy, bumpy water, it seems like your arm always wants to go up and down, therefore you're constantly changing the rpm's of the engines every time your arm moves from banging another swell.

And NO, I don't let anyone drive the boat, that is until they buy it.
10X really nice looking interior, I like it.

Quick Reply: Fountain: Left-hand Throttle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.