Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Shogren, got a serious question for you. >

Shogren, got a serious question for you.

Notices

Shogren, got a serious question for you.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Shogren, got a serious question for you.

I know when I worked at the Malibu dealership in Dallas area we were not allowed to sell boats to a customer that was from another dealerships area. We would get in trouble from the factory and possibly lose our dealer rights. As far as warranty work we warrantied any Malibu that came into our shop whether it was bought from us or not. What are you going to do if you have somebody that moved into town and brought their boat with them, it wouldn't be right to refuse them. I know it is not the same as refusing service or delaying to someone that is local and bought thir boat out of town.

Last edited by Bigb79; 01-15-2007 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"We view things differently, if we did not get the customer the first time we will try like hell to get them the next time" .Scott S.
If I where refused service from a dealer just because I didn't buy my boat from them ? Hell maybe I will be more selective where I break down next time .
S. Shogren you seem to have a good grip on how to run a business . Keep up the great work .
Paul
Old 01-15-2007, 08:32 PM
Registered

I was on vacation in Florida in November and had a senser buzzer going off. The dealership treated me like monster crap. Zero customer service!!! They did offer me a deal on a new boat just to be smug arses
Old 01-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

#1 Formula has territorial protection money too. It's 5%

#2 but as stated it can only be demanded by the offended local dealer from the out-of-territory dealer through channels if they stock boats first of all, and second of all from the line you bought from. They can't cry about you viewing and buying a Fastech elsewhere if they haven't stocked anything but an SS or cruiser recently or regularly. This is how I understand it.

#3 I have had a couple merc warranty issues and have needed some limited service work as I do most of my own maintenence ect. My previous 5X selling dealer (Hutchinsons Boat Works in Alex Bay) where I keep my Formula, takes care of me, the staff is wonderful to me, and I don't get put at the back of the bus, quite the contrary. I'm quite sure that if I had a problem with a boat system that I didn't want to tackle myself, I would be treated much the same.

It's the realization that I buy boats regularly, have brought them other buyers in the past (several), and if I was going to do something different and needed a dayboat or a cruiser (SeaRay) I would be buying it there.

It's called a small investment in the future.
Tough concept for some I guess.

#4 Shogren's got the right idea.

Last edited by Rippem; 01-15-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Seems like it could be a wash. You buy from your dealer, someone else from thier dealer . You happen to be in his territory and need service. They do it.

The other guy happens to be in your area and needs service. he goes to your dealer.

Both dealers sold a boat, both dealers performed service work, but just not on one they sold personally.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Seems like it could be a wash. You buy from your dealer, someone else from thier dealer . You happen to be in his territory and need service. They do it.

The other guy happens to be in your area and needs service. he goes to your dealer.

Both dealers sold a boat, both dealers performed service work, but just not on one they sold personally.
This is not the problem. Please go back and re-read my post's again. I am perfectly sure that if you were on vaction in St. Petersburg FL and your Fountain broke down under warranty my dealer would help you out in a pinch. However me being a local guy and go buy a Fountain from Shorgren...they will not help me out anylonger with warranty work and if they did I'd be way back months months on the list.

problem is Shogren is asking $229k for his 42EX and my dealer back in the fall wanted $275 for a 42EX and will not budge...he sold it too! Never got in another either and does not stock much Fountain performance boats. They have 1 35EX in stock which I do not fit in behind the helm..I'm much to tall for this little boat.

Last edited by FeverMike; 01-15-2007 at 08:48 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure why the dealer is crying . They always say they are not making any money on the sale . They are just looking for a good customer . Make it up on the service .
Old 01-15-2007, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I just want to make it very clear that I am not in any way bagging on Shogren or my local Fountain dealer. I am just presenting an issue.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:44 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FeverMike, can you give Scott Shogren a PM??? I thought that it only applied to new boats. What about if you bought a boat from me??? Used, let's say. OK, I buy it from whomever you want, the next day, I sell it to you. You just bought a USED boat. That way, you bought it from a private party, right? The warranty is transferable, right? Your local dealer sees that you purchased a used boat from a private party. Why should they refuse to do any workon it for you?? Don't make much sense to me at all.

Like I said earlier, if you need an address in Chicago, just let me know.

Frank
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 01-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Registered

This is a very interesting thread I live in an area where the closest Fountain dealer is 6 hrs. from me. I bought my boat from Pier 57 (great ppl to deal with). It is the same distance to Shogren Marine and after reading this thread I have new found respect for Shogren marine. Lucky for me Lynns westside marine in Evansville in. gives me great service. When I get my next Fountain I will check out both Pier 57 and Shogren.

Quick Reply: Shogren, got a serious question for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.