Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Shogren, got a serious question for you. >

Shogren, got a serious question for you.

Notices

Shogren, got a serious question for you.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:03 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shogren, got a serious question for you.

Scott, or anyone at Shogrens can answer this for me, and as a matter of fact, for alot of us here, especially FeverMike.

He says that if he buys a Fountain boat out of his area, that his local dealer refuses to do any kind of warranty woek on it, especially if he buys it from Shogrens. Why would that be???

If someone up here in Chicago buys a new Fountain from a dealer from out of the area, will you do the warranty work on it??? or will you refuse to, as in the case here in Fla. like FeverMike's talking about???

I already know what their answer will be, I just want it to be heard on a public forum. That;s just not right, money for work is still money. Maybe some of the dealers oughta get off their high horse, and take the work that rolls in instead of being so choosy. Then we won't have to hear about how the dealers are starving. They don't WANT to work.
I'm done ranting.

Thanks, Frank
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 01-15-2007, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Shogren, got a serious question for you.

Frank, warranty work pays less than a customer paying for work. Fountain pays something like 75% of shop rate so if a Fountain dealer does your warranty work he makes a lot less money..actually loses money...then a paying customer. The dealer will do customer paid service work and there own customers warranty work way before they will touch warranty work on a boat they did not sell.

I was told point blank by my Fountain dealer that if I went and bought a Fountain from Shogren that they will not do warranty work on it....that would be Fountain and/or Merc warranty work.

Not just my Fountain dealer but a lot of dealers in my area just will not do warranty work (even the Merc power package) on a boat unless they sold it to you. Or they will put you so far in the back it will take months and months to get any warranty work done.

Last edited by FeverMike; 01-15-2007 at 10:35 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

hrmmm...are they legitimate fountain dealers or are they just selling boats?? Im not postivie, but I would think a condition of having a facotry authorized dealership would be doing warrentee work.... maybee it pays less, but I would think it would be required.. all things aside..I would rather have someone working on my boat that was willing to do it than somebody FORCED to do it..kinda like insulting a waiter/waitres..who knows whats gonna get done to your food in the back.....
Old 01-15-2007, 11:19 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 908 Likes on 456 Posts

I'd be shooting an email to Merc and fountain saying thats the last time i'm buying any of thier product if thier warranty coverage goes only as far as my selling dealer!!! i understand dealers get paid less by the factories but hell...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Registered

Guys, you can't compare the boat industry to the car industry. These dealers do not have to do warranty work if you did not buy the boat from them.

Wally, it's not just Fountain...I had this same problem with a Scarab and Concept I bought new too. If you do not buy your boat from the servicing dealer they do not have to do warranty work or they will put you at the end of the line and it will be months upon months before you get your new boat fixed.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:44 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mike, I just got off the phone with Shogrens office, and Scott called me on his way to do the finishing touches to the boats at the boat show. He will chime in on this later today, probably tonight as he's got a full day of work ahead of him at the show with all the last minute changes that come with the setups.

I know from speaking to the secretary at Shogrens, that they DO warranty work on Fountains that are bought else where. She told me that right now, they are doing warranty work on a Fountain that was purchased in Califotnia. She says that they don't turn anyone away nomatter where they purchased the boat from. I guess that's just their policy. No wonder, that's why so many people come to Shogrens for their boats, they don't turn anyone away, or play that favortism $hit like alot of other dealers.

Let's wait to hear from Scott himself, we'll get the straight truth from him on this matter.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 01-15-2007, 12:01 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

A local dealer I have dealt with has a shop policy about boats and service/warranty work I kinda agree with. (He doesn't sell performance boats at all). They will take any boat in for service however, the boats he sold new or used will take priority over the ones that were bought elsewhere. This is a "perk" that his customer base is entitled to and provides better customer loyalty. In the winter his guys are busy doing all the boat shows, in the summer they have a 5-6 week backlog (as does every dealer in the area) so he must decide who gets priority. Like it or not I think it's smart business.

and BTW: I've had them do service work on a boat I did NOT buy from them.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:06 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 908 Likes on 456 Posts

Man....what would it take to become certified to do warranty work for Merc? this may be something to look into if dealers are gonna be Bitc#$ about servicing boats!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-15-2007, 12:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 10x
Mike, I just got off the phone with Shogrens office, and Scott called me on his way to do the finishing touches to the boats at the boat show. He will chime in on this later today, probably tonight as he's got a full day of work ahead of him at the show with all the last minute changes that come with the setups.

I know from speaking to the secretary at Shogrens, that they DO warranty work on Fountains that are bought else where. She told me that right now, they are doing warranty work on a Fountain that was purchased in Califotnia. She says that they don't turn anyone away nomatter where they purchased the boat from. I guess that's just their policy. No wonder, that's why so many people come to Shogrens for their boats, they don't turn anyone away, or play that favortism $hit like alot of other dealers.

Let's wait to hear from Scott himself, we'll get the straight truth from him on this matter.
That is good but how does that help me down here in Florida? I have a good Fountain dealer and the service is top notch BUT there prices are no where near as good as Shorgren. I do not trailer my boat so if I buy a Fountain from Shogren and I need something taken care of under warranty I'm screwed.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

hmmm....

I wonder how they feel in Decatur about putting an owner off indefinitely, or flat out denying to do warranty work just because you didn't but the product there, that in the bigger sense feeds them all?

That is such BS. I'm not saying you should be first in line but c'mon...why go out of their way to be pr!cks about it?

Quick Reply: Shogren, got a serious question for you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.