Drive ??? guys >

Drive ??? guys

Notices

Drive ??? guys

Old 01-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Drive ??? guys

What you have there is an HP drive - The HP is the predecessor of XR. The bravo 1 internals were beefed up in late 2000. They were also differentiated into 4 catagories: The stock bravo 1s for the 502-415hp and 496-375hp, The Bravo 1 X for the 496-425hp, The Bravo 1 XZ for the 502-500hp and finally the Bravo 1 XR for the 502-575hp. The Bravo 1 XZ has been discontinued due to the consumer demand for the beefier XR. (Brilliant Marketing) Mercury now builds 3 versions of the Bravo 1. The standard, the X and the XR. The sportmaster can be orderd as a unit but is considered an option for the XR for boats that have top speed in excess of 90. That you have a low water pickup on the drive indicates to me that is probably a 99-00 pre XR, hp drive. As far as horsepower in stock form, over 500 and you are asking for trouble. This drive is a shiftable unit. It has a cone clutch, not a transmission. It sounds to me from your recent posts that you are looking to put a pair of 600s in your 32. If you want a set of drives that are going to hold up you prabably want to either look at the Conrads or the Imco units. Hope that helps.

Last edited by 35 fountain; 01-16-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:00 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Ok for some reason that is a lil mind twisting for me rite now, forgive me ,a long day at work, will have to wait for pops to look at it, but your saying that this drive is a late model 99-00 drive correct. The XR was built after the HP. Also this drive isn't as strong as an XR. After 500 hp it will prolly take a ****, but this is stronger then a stock bravo..
Thanks again JOHN

Last edited by Fenderjack; 01-18-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:50 PM
Registered

Fenderjack- I agree with 35 Fountain. The drives on the back of your boat are most likely late model Bravos. The low water pickups are an indication of this. Those bravos should be fine up to 500hp maybe a little more on a 32. You are not pushing a lot of weight so if you know how to drive the boat properly and I stress "know how to drive" they should last. Anything over 525hp you might want to take a look at some beefier drives or upgraded internals. 32s are real loose and like to spend a lot of time out of the water in the rough which is hard on shafts. If you boat where the lake or ocean doesnt get to sloppy you should be ok. I never even opened my bravos up in 3 seasons when I had my 32. My 38 has the same drives(stock bravos) and 500hp/side and have never failed me yet. I would wait till you grenade a drive before you start spending a bunch of $$. You might be surprised.

Raf
Old 01-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by runafever
I would wait till you grenade a drive before you start spending a bunch of $$. You might be surprised.

Raf
I agree, If it aint broke, don't fu@k with it and if it breaks, upgrade it. Words to live by.
Old 01-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Yah I am not a dummy and not trying to be cocky but know how to drive a boat, use the throttles when flying(air), notta on hole shots. I have read about people putting power behind them and them lasting, and they will ahve more then 500 hp, so i think thats the way we are going to go for now, I agree about if it isn't broke don't fix it, so we will see how long it is b4 it's broke LOL. We are prolly going to be about tapped out after we get the engines built, if a drive does fail, might have to save and go for some speed master 3's or imco lowers.. Thanks for your reps on this..

John

Last edited by Fenderjack; 01-18-2007 at 06:27 PM.