Old School Arch Removal >

Old School Arch Removal

Notices

Old School Arch Removal

Old 01-30-2007, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old School Arch Removal

Well, it is the dead of winter and I am contemplating another boat project. Looking at 1990 40 with an arch. I never was a fan of the arch set up and I will not be running a radar. Is this a bolt off and fill in the holes program or is the arch glassed in? Does it leave a huge blemish on the boat, or can it be covered by step plates, etc.? Alternatively, is the arch strong enough to mount a brass pole to?
Old 01-30-2007, 10:56 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts
Default Re: Old School Arch Removal

Most arches are just bolted on....you'll probably need to remove a speaker to get at the bolts from the inside of the arch(or some access cover) and then you'll need to figure out how to get at the bolts from under the arch....maybe removing a side panel or other speakers etc....alot of people put step plates on where the arch used to be....its an easy fix that way. If your set on never putting it back on then maybe have it glassed over and have a nice smooth look.
As for your pole idea....thats all in the way you bolt it together.....ive seen some arches support three people sitting ontop of them....Ive also seen one break in half from one dude trying to hang on it form the middle!

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:00 AM
Registered

Thanx Wally. I may go down and look at this boat this weekend- although it is going to be well-digger's arse cold. We shall see . . . . the boat. Not the well-digger's arse. Anyway . . .
Old 01-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

On My last 35 you could see the bolts from under the sides where the lower port and starboard storage spots are you can get 1 arm in and maybe your head
Old 01-30-2007, 08:21 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SeaWeasel
Thanx Wally. I may go down and look at this boat this weekend- although it is going to be well-digger's arse cold. We shall see . . . . the boat. Not the well-digger's arse. Anyway . . .
Well diggers arse - you guys just crack me up.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wally
Most arches are just bolted on....you'll probably need to remove a speaker to get at the bolts from the inside of the arch(or some access cover) and then you'll need to figure out how to get at the bolts from under the arch....maybe removing a side panel or other speakers etc....alot of people put step plates on where the arch used to be....its an easy fix that way. If your set on never putting it back on then maybe have it glassed over and have a nice smooth look.
As for your pole idea....thats all in the way you bolt it together.....ive seen some arches support three people sitting ontop of them....Ive also seen one break in half from one dude trying to hang on it form the middle!
What happend to the dude who broke the Radar arch in half by hanging in the middle - is he still alive?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I would say go for the brass pole!!!!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 08:40 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

Originally Posted by 35 fountain
What happend to the dude who broke the Radar arch in half by hanging in the middle - is he still alive?
Well....it got a little heated with the boat owner...but then again they are best of friends so in the end all was forgiven.....it just sucked that it happened....in the end it wasnt as bad as it looked....he got it repaired and its good as new now....except he only lets girls that are @ 100lbs sit on it

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-31-2007, 08:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine and OSO member good2go38 took his off of a 38sc. Shoot him a PM and he can tell you what he did.

Last edited by ACTIVESHACK; 01-31-2007 at 08:59 AM.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SeaWeasel
Well, it is the dead of winter and I am contemplating another boat project. Looking at 1990 40 with an arch. I never was a fan of the arch set up and I will not be running a radar. Is this a bolt off and fill in the holes program or is the arch glassed in? Does it leave a huge blemish on the boat, or can it be covered by step plates, etc.? Alternatively, is the arch strong enough to mount a brass pole to?
I have a 88 40ft fountian and took my arch off to pull motors you just pull the air scoops on the outside of boat-- philips head screws--- and then theirs six nuts on each side and lift off, you may have to cut silicone seal with knife.
my arch is aluminium and very solid . some manufactures are fiberglass and not as strong
hope this helps