What to use on the plexiglass windshield >

What to use on the plexiglass windshield

Notices

What to use on the plexiglass windshield

Old 04-05-2007, 06:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to use on the plexiglass windshield

A little while ago I asked for every ones advise on what to use on the plexiglass windshields and got a lot of responses on what you were having success with. I happened to be talking with Fountain's customer service line today and asked them what they recommended - they told me to use "210 Plus" which is a plexiglass scratch remover and "210" which is a cleaner and polish. I did an MSN search on the stuff and found a distributor in Dayton Ohion called Spinners which is a pilot supply store. The number is 888 305 7746. I ordered some of each and I'll let you guys know how it works out.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:03 AM
Registered

ok thanks.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:47 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Is it applied by hand, or do you motor it in? Will it affect the tint?
Old 04-06-2007, 08:34 PM
Registered

I think you could do it either way but I'll try it by hand first. Since Fountain recommended the stuff I dont think it will have any adverse effects, say like on the tint. My windshield is in excellent shape but I have some minor abrasion from the cockpit cover on the left and right corners and I think it will help with this.
Old 04-07-2007, 10:41 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 35 fountain
I think you could do it either way but I'll try it by hand first. Since Fountain recommended the stuff I dont think it will have any adverse effects, say like on the tint. My windshield is in excellent shape but I have some minor abrasion from the cockpit cover on the left and right corners and I think it will help with this.
Me too, but not enough (at this point) to start rehabing it. Much rather rub wax into the get coat
Old 04-15-2007, 09:37 AM
Registered

I hope the cleaner does not cost much. I was reading my hp manual and merc said to use 730 dow corning sealer on my blower gasket. I tracked it down , ordered a 3oz tube. Drove to pick it up and it cost 80.00. it had better be worth it. we have had some problems with our fountain windshields spider cracking, you can not see out of them.???????
Old 04-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by carney
we have had some problems with our fountain windshields spider cracking, you can not see out of them.???????

Very common problem. Side panels seems to be the worst.

Have heard many explanations: cleaners with amonia (Windex), excess heat buildup from when cockpit cover is on, to nature of the beast.

When I bought my boat, it was 3 yrs old and the side panels looked like somene took sand paper to them. I replaced them with new and only use boat soap and water on them and only use chamios to dry, no towels. 4 yrs later, they still look new with no scratches or the dreaded crazing. The windshield it self is fine, but has a few crazing cracks right at the bend at the deflector. Not sure why the side panels are more prone than the W/S as they are the same material. Maybe the heat applied to the W/S when doing the bending of both the arching and the deflecter anneals (relieves) any built up internal stresses within the material itself???

A few yrs ago a buddy took a heat gun and light went over his side panels and the cracks seemed to have become almost nonvisable. Last about a yr, then he reheats for another yr.

My original side panel. Odd how the problem is more evident to the area not covered by the corner trim peices. Cleaner???

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by carney
I hope the cleaner does not cost much. I was reading my hp manual and merc said to use 730 dow corning sealer on my blower gasket. I tracked it down , ordered a 3oz tube. Drove to pick it up and it cost 80.00. it had better be worth it. we have had some problems with our fountain windshields spider cracking, you can not see out of them.???????
It is actually pretty cheap - less than $30 with shipping - havent gotten it yet though.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Plexus is a great cleaner for these parts.

http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/plexus.html