efi vs carb >

efi vs carb

Notices

efi vs carb

Old 04-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question efi vs carb

hey guys just wondering if you know pros and cons on a 500 hp for a 29.im down to 2, one is carb and the other efi.To me i think the efi would be better but maybe im missing something
Old 04-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Efi.
Old 04-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Get the EFI. I just got a new boat, with 500EFI, it is sooo sweet, just turn the key and it starts, no priming the carb, no leaky gaskets. Definately go EFI.
Dave
Old 04-24-2007, 06:23 AM
Registered

Talking

Love my EFI's - so far. lol
Old 04-24-2007, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 500 Efi

The HP is a little stronger motor, but the EFI is turn key. No carb kits and easy starting. I'd go with the EFI.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EFI all the way. I remember one time my batteries were nearly dead at the boat ramp. The boat wouldn't even turn over on one battery and barely turned over on two. After 3 very slow rotations, the engine fired. Whew!!!
Old 04-24-2007, 12:06 PM
Registered

Default EFI -- not on a boat!

The problem with EFI is that all the signals go into the computer, and the computer then adjusts everything. If any of the signals are a bit wacky, the engine runs wierd. It is IMPOSSIBLE to determine the source of the problem from the symptom.

Teague could not do it. Paul Pfaff could not do it.

I eventually had Pfaff simply replace the entire wiring harness -- easily ordered from Mercury by the way. The harness plus installation cost about as much as 10 brand new Holley marine carbs, or a pair of new CMI headers.

Inspecting the old harness showed that a few pins in several connectors -- and different pins in different connectors between the two engines -- were corroded. This caused the signals going to the engine computer (fuel flow, air temp, knock sensor, etc) to either be slightly off or inconsistent. This also causes the controlling actions from the computer (throttle setting, timing, fule flow, etc) to be wrong or inconsistent.

After replacing all the wiring harnesses, the engines again run perfectly. My boat is only 7 years old. Some of the problems that have been fixed by the new harness were inconsistent problems that Teague and Pfaff were not able to fix for the past 4 years and tens of thousands of my dollars.

Right -- most of the time, my EFI engines have been giving me wierd little problems.

The total cost of all the attempts at fixing what was really due to corrosion in the wiring harness exceeded the total cost of two new 454 Magnum EFI engines.

With carburated engines, its very easy to figure out what is wrong. And hardly anything ever goes wrong, and if it does, its very cheap and easy to fix. Any idiot, even me, can fix it.

With EFI, you can't accurately isolate the problem, all the parts are very expensive, all are prone to glitches (sometimes its OK, sometimes its not) and the best mechanics in the industry may well not be able to fix it no matter how much money you throw at the problem.

EFI never again.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

basicly it comes down to 2 things.

how you run

and your budget

if you run alot in ruff or big water at speed then i would say get the efi. their are no floats to get stuck and dump fuel, etc,,, .plus what was mentioned above as far asw starting. down side is cost for maintanance and repairs, plus if you get stuck at sea your stuck.

if you bay or lake bomb mostly and dont run in ruff water then get the carb. you can keep a spare coil, module, and a basic tool kit with you onboard and for the most part your getting home. cheaper maintanance , easier to diagnose repairs, more power, easier to upgrade performance.

either engine is strong. good luck with your search
Old 04-24-2007, 08:52 PM
Registered

I had stock efi's from the factory, but once I went to addtiional horsepower to me carbeurated was the only way to go. I can get anyone to work on.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:27 PM
Registered

Received 279 Likes on 168 Posts

Good thread.

Quick Reply: efi vs carb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.