Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Compound when detailing boat >

Compound when detailing boat

Notices

Compound when detailing boat

Old 05-13-2007, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Strip, Monstaa,

If your using a waffle pad at 1000 to 2000 rpm doesn't leave swirl marks and really keeps the gel bright white. A guy from Fountain who details boats on the side turned me onto it about 4 years ago. Don't really need the Finesse It II if your following with wax or teflon. To me the wax or teflon tends to give a more dulled appearance from the final final compounded surface so your extra compounding may not be needed.

Got mine from the 3M site.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Registered

3M Finesse is definately my choic. Depending on how bad it is you may need the 3M Microfinishing compound and then go over it with the finesse.

RAF
Old 05-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

are you applying the finesse it and allowing it to haze or are you just holding the buffer to it til it starts to shine? im havin trouble with mine. seems to be slingin the crap everywhere (maybe using too much product).. should i use one wool pad to apply it and another wool pad to take it off?
Old 05-21-2008, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waterboy222
are you applying the finesse it and allowing it to haze or are you just holding the buffer to it til it starts to shine? im havin trouble with mine. seems to be slingin the crap everywhere (maybe using too much product).. should i use one wool pad to apply it and another wool pad to take it off?

It should look kinda dripped around the area .(like someting else I can think of may look)..Then move it back and fouth on a area about 12 X 24 ..untill most of it is gone. Use a black foam fine pad unless you are removeing scratches.Then you would need the white foam.It gets all over the place (like someting else i can think of does) Anything left will be removed when you hand wax the entire boat..Like I just got through doing .Mines all white too!
Old 05-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 35 White Lightning
What type of rubbing/ polishing compound to bring back the shine on a 95 35 all white, I was thinking about using finesse it first with a wool pad, then using a Mequires fiberglass wax
Mequiar's Fiberglass Restoration System
It contains #49 Oxidation Remover, #45 High Gloss Polish, and #56 Pure Wax Carnauba blend. Apply with 7" foam pads on a double action, adjustable speed buffer (it spins and rotates).

I just used this system on my 35 Lightning and it really looks good, and so far has been holding up very well. Once you have the shine all you need is the #45 to keep it up and then wax.

The double action buffer with foam pads leaves no swirl marks. I also have a conventional buffer, lambs wool pads and Finese, but the system that I just described works better, less mess and is faster.

Good luck on the project.
David
Old 05-22-2008, 01:28 AM
Registered

Started using 3M extra cut compound last year. Great results with white foam pad.
Old 05-22-2008, 05:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
This ? Will it leave swirl marks?
That is great stuff and if your oxidation is not too bad this should do it. I wont ever use McGuires again. Their premium boat wax died on my deck and I had to pay my glass man $400 to compound the deck. He ended up using a really heavy grit 3m product and that finally did the trick. I use only raindance car wax on it now and you gotta wear sunglasses when looking at it.