Delaware Newbie >

Delaware Newbie

Notices

Delaware Newbie

Old 06-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delaware Newbie

Today I purchased my first real vessel! Brand New 2005 35' Lightning with twin Merc 525's. It was a leftover and the deal was just too good to pass up. It is perfect and has been stored in the showroom for the past 2 years.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, since up until now I have always been a car gearhead. I am concerned that the boat sat for long periods. The warranty will start in about 2 weeks when I actually take delivery.

I didn't intend to buy something that serious, but after taking it for a test drive it was inevitable! I may have stepped a little too deep, but I have a tendency to do that. Coming from pontoon boats, I've got a decent learning curve ahead. Especially manuevering through the docks. Nervous? Definitely!

Sal
Old 06-11-2007, 09:34 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

sweet.....have fun and be careful haulin azz. It should be a charm to manuver around the docks. You wont have to touch the wheel. I've always heard there isnt anything worse than a boat that sits, but a new boat should be a little different. I would inquire about the motors and variuos seals on the boat. They might get leaky w/o use. But again, you have a new boat so i wouldnt worry.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Registered

Appreciate the great feedback.

My wife, 6yo daughter, and 5yo son were on board for the test drive and they were grinning ear to ear (myself included).

That boat cruises at 50-60mph effortlessly. When I told my wife how fast we were going, she couldn't believe it because the ride was so smooth. The handling is just phenomenal.

And to think, I was minutes from buying a Sonic 31SS last week but thought I should test drive the Fountain before making any decisions. After the test drive in the Fountain, it was over.

Last edited by Viper TT; 06-11-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 06-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some hints:
Docking with twins has a learning curve, but once you learn it, you will be able to more easily dock than those of us with one engine.
You have a ventilated hull, do not run balls out and try to turn it like an F1 car!
Learn about the many uses for your K planes aka trim tabs, you will need them for getting on plane and rough water and even idling in shallow water.
Do not floor it coming out of the hole, there is a lot of stress on those outdrives at that time.
Understand that you have to really drive this boat. As you pick up speed, the nature of the boat changes. Pay close attention to the feel of everything, especially in snotty water. Use the boat's hull to your advantage, don't assume that you're supposed to trim up in rough water (bad) nor for speed (hull design)
Get you some Lifeline lifevests. They can even match the colors. I wear mine offshore almost always, especially if it's 3 footers like it was down here Sat. And wear your lanyard!!!
Take care of your boat. If you run offshore, flush those motors and flush them well. Keep up with the maintenance and such.

You have a 90+ mph machine and everyone here wants to see you enjoy it safely.

Also check out Tres Martins school.

Do not be afraid to ask for help, that's what we are here for. I did the same thing when I got started with this type of boating and I am always learning something here.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:05 PM
Registered

Good Post. Good Advice. Enjoy your New Fountain. Wonder how may other "leftovers" are out there.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what he said, plus never,,,,,,NEVER,,, use negative trim or have the tabs down when turning.

instead settle the boat by slightly lifting on the throttles, make sure you have positive trim and start your turn. then accelerate into the turn.

these boats will spin. especially during turning. i must have delivered over 15 35's this year from single step to the new i.c.b.m . lovely machines.

graet boats. feel em out. they ll tell you what there doing.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member

Congratulation on your new boat, you will love it. I got mine last November, it has taken until about now to really get the feel of it and feel confortable. There is definately a learning curve, and I am an experienced boater. Take your time and it will all come together.
David
Old 06-12-2007, 06:39 AM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Where in Delaware are you located?
302-521-0123

The Best Parts & Service At The Best Price
Old 06-12-2007, 07:50 AM
Registered

Pay close att. to the above posts, there right on the money. And good luck with the new boat!
Old 06-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Registered

UNSANE: Thank you very much for that post and the offer for assistance. I can guarantee that I will have questions. The dealer is going to spend a few hours going over the boat upon delivery. I have been reading up on maintenance routines and trim/tab settings, but I'm sure theory and reality will be different. I will be keeping the boat on a trailer inside a storage building. My plan is to start out in the local river and gradually make my way out to the bay and then progress to the ocean.

MonsterDave: I was very surprised to see a 2 year old "new" boat. I asked the question of "Why" multiple times to the owner of Coty Marine in Toms River, NJ and he said sometimes the market is just not there for this type of boat.

DiamondPerformance: I'm in southern Delaware near Seaford.

Thanks to everyone for the assistance. I am very grateful.

Quick Reply: Delaware Newbie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.