Water under the step in the cabin >

Water under the step in the cabin

Notices

Water under the step in the cabin

Old 07-06-2007, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
I keep it stored indoors. Where is this bilge pump under the step. Maybe mine is broken? Now I am really wondering. Thanks, Tom
Tom,
My bilge pump is right under the step, very visable, has some sort of electronic switch, but it didn't work, so I bought a new electronic switch from West Marine, it also never turned the pump on. So now I bypassed the switch and put a manual on/off switch there and I just turn it on by hand. The problem is the pump is mounted to a raised section where a piece of wood is glassed into the floor, so they could screw it down. That raises the pump up about 3/4" above the low spot, so it never drains everything out.

Now I carry a 12 volt mini wet/dry shop vac and just suck all the water out. There has never been more than a quart or two in there, but it just bugs me. I also think it is only a matter of time until I get a mold problem.
Dave
Old 07-07-2007, 06:16 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same issue in my 35 and have never used the cooler, I wonder if we could drill a hole in the bulkhead under the step and glass in a 1/2 pipe with a shutoff valve and simply open the valve to drain the water to the rear?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you guys that are getting water under the step, have water in your bilge area too? I had a 27, 32, and 35 never had a problem with water under the step. The last 38 had water getting into the bilge from some where, not a lot but some. Never did find the source of the leak, but their was always under the step. I now have a different 38 the bilge stays dry.....I dont have any water under my step. I never use my cooler, boat is stored in a garage, dont get caught in rain storms. I stored the other 38 in the same garage. The only difference was water was leaking into the bilge from some where. I guess it was running up under the step and getting trapped. Fountain must know its a problem, or they wouldnt have put a seperate pump under the step. If it can run up to the step. Their must be a way to make a drain so it can run back to the bilge and keep the cabin dry.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob
Tom,
My bilge pump is right under the step, very visable, has some sort of electronic switch, but it didn't work, so I bought a new electronic switch from West Marine, it also never turned the pump on. So now I bypassed the switch and put a manual on/off switch there and I just turn it on by hand. The problem is the pump is mounted to a raised section where a piece of wood is glassed into the floor, so they could screw it down. That raises the pump up about 3/4" above the low spot, so it never drains everything out.

Now I carry a 12 volt mini wet/dry shop vac and just suck all the water out. There has never been more than a quart or two in there, but it just bugs me. I also think it is only a matter of time until I get a mold problem.
Dave

Interesting, I think my step is all glassed in. I run a industrial dehumitfier in mine to prevent the mold issue. A big issue in TX. I will tear down my step this weekend and get a better idea. I was thinking it was a loose fitting from my Water or Sewer system. I don't use either one of them. I think you guys are on too something. Thanks, Tom
Old 07-07-2007, 09:44 AM
Registered

Do all Fountains have a pump underneath the step????

I think you boys have solved my problem if so
Old 07-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by INDY27
I have the same issue in my 35 and have never used the cooler, I wonder if we could drill a hole in the bulkhead under the step and glass in a 1/2 pipe with a shutoff valve and simply open the valve to drain the water to the rear?
No Definitely not, do not drill a hole that drains the step are to the rear. That is where the gas tanks are and that area is sealed at both ends so that gas/gas fumes can not enter the cabin or the engine compartment. If you were to drain the water from under the step to the rear you would trap it around the fuel tanks and could corode them.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Platinum Member

Do all Fountains have a pump underneath the step????

I think you boys have solved my problem if so
The pump under the step has it's own through hull fitting on the Starboard side of the boat just aft the sink drain in the head.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
Do you guys that are getting water under the step, have water in your bilge area too? I had a 27, 32, and 35 never had a problem with water under the step. The last 38 had water getting into the bilge from some where, not a lot but some. Never did find the source of the leak, but their was always under the step. I now have a different 38 the bilge stays dry.....I dont have any water under my step. I never use my cooler, boat is stored in a garage, dont get caught in rain storms. I stored the other 38 in the same garage. The only difference was water was leaking into the bilge from some where. I guess it was running up under the step and getting trapped. Fountain must know its a problem, or they wouldnt have put a seperate pump under the step. If it can run up to the step. Their must be a way to make a drain so it can run back to the bilge and keep the cabin dry.
Water in the bilge??
That is interesting, there is always some small amount of water in my bilge, even if I don't use the ice chest. Not a lot, but maybe a gallon or so. I had all of the rubber replaced on my outdrives, they even replaced the drain plug assembly. I have no idea where or how it gets in. I have never had the boat out in rain, it is stored in a garage, never have seen rough enough water to get any spray on the deck or gunnels.
I have looked under the hull looking for any possible points of entry, but all looks good. Big mystry to me.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob
The pump under the step has it's own through hull fitting on the Starboard side of the boat just aft the sink drain in the head.
Everything is comming together. I have 2 sinks and the toilet, I was unaware of what all the fittings where for. I removed the toliet as soon as I purchased the boat. This all makes perfect sense. I am just curios how much water I do have in there.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member

Everything is comming together. I have 2 sinks and the toilet, I was unaware of what all the fittings where for. I removed the toliet as soon as I purchased the boat. This all makes perfect sense. I am just curios how much water I do have in there.
Tom,
My boat also has 2 sinks and a head (port-a-potty). The galley sink is on the port side and has it's own through hull fitting, the head sink is on the starboard side. You can run water in each sink seperately while the boat is on the trailer and that way you can identify what drains go to what. I have had the best luck to use a shop vac while the boat is in the water, so that the bow is high and all of the available water runs back to the step area. Use the shop vac to get the area dry and then you will see how much water you have.
Hope this helps.
David

Quick Reply: Water under the step in the cabin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.