Water under the step in the cabin >

Water under the step in the cabin

Notices

Water under the step in the cabin

Old 07-04-2007, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water under the step in the cabin

I think I finally figured out how the water gets under the step in the cabin on my 35 Classic. The ice chest and the floor drains in the rear of the cockpit all drain to the area outboard of the stringer that is closest to the outside of the boat. When the boat is sitting in the water all of the water that drains to this area then drains through the bulkhead at the front of the engine compartment and then to the rear and to the center bilge area (the engine stringers have the lower corner cut out of them so they allow the water to pass through them to the center bilge). However if there is any water or ice left in the ice chest and the boat is loaded on the trailer, then it sits somewhat bow low and the water runs forward around the front of the outboard stringer, as that stringer doesn't go all the way to the front of the boat. This allows the water to end up in the forward bilge and it can run back and forth between the area under the step and the compartments below the bunk.

I hope this helps those of you that have had the same questions about this problem that I have had.
David

Last edited by Dkahnjob; 07-04-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2007, 09:32 AM
Registered

I hope that is your case and it drys out , I have had them set outside with the cockpit cover on and nothing in the ice box. open the boat up and find between 5 and 20 gallons of water in the step area. the owners get pretty up set. we still have not found where the water comes from. I have read this a lot on oso and we are not the only ones.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:43 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by carney
I hope that is your case and it drys out , I have had them set outside with the cockpit cover on and nothing in the ice box. open the boat up and find between 5 and 20 gallons of water in the step area. the owners get pretty up set. we still have not found where the water comes from. I have read this a lot on oso and we are not the only ones.
I am still working on proving my theory, but so far, so good. I keep the boat in a garage and we don't have any rain, so there aren't too many places for the water to come from.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a common problem to many boats. Both my Formula's 21' 1986 and 24' 1987 did it, and then my 2004 Baja 33 Outlaw, and now my 2005 42 Fountain. I am told it is because manufacturing regulations require that the bilge water from the gas tanks area is not allowed to flow up to the cabin bilge, so vice versa it can't go from cabin down to the rear bilge. At least the Fountain and Baja had small bilge pumps up there, the Formula's did not. I had to be real careful washing the 24' Formula because of the way it sat on the trailer water would run from the cockpit into the cabin and get 2' high if I was not careful! I now modify the fwd bilge pumps on my boats putting in a larger size with a super low water pick up and an electronic(not float type) automatic sensor.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any of the boat builder's heard of a oneway valve. keep the water from the rear bilge from coming forward but let he water from the front flow to the rear.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Registered

I have the same problem with my Formula 272. My old Glastron has two drain plugs - one for the front and one for the back bilge. The front bilge has a copper pipe that runs the length of the boat to the drain plug. I wish other manufacturers would do the same...
Old 07-06-2007, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carney
Check your cleats and bow rails. I had to reseal all of my same problem..

Now just like everyone else on this thread I am seeing water under my step..

I have a fridge not a cooler, I do not use the fridge. I have removed the vacum flush head but still having the plumbing.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-06-2007, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
Check your cleats and bow rails. I had to reseal all of my same problem..

Now just like everyone else on this thread I am seeing water under my step..

I have a fridge not a cooler, I do not use the fridge. I have removed the vacum flush head but still having the plumbing.

Any thoughts?
Tom,
Does the boat sit out in the rain or do you wash it with a hose that could be letting water into the cockpit area?

I am in Havasu and there is no rain, and I don't use a hose to wash it out. My bilge under the step was almost completely dry until I pulled the plug on the ice chest and then there was a small amount of water that appeared. I am almost certain that water is going around the outboard stringers and forward. I will check again in a couple weeks when I am up at the lake.
David
Old 07-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Registered

mines always wet under the step and sometimes the carpets wet! been like that ever. Has a bilge pump up there but never drains it all. Getting annoying Could it be from bow light or rails leaking slightly?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob
Tom,
Does the boat sit out in the rain or do you wash it with a hose that could be letting water into the cockpit area?

I am in Havasu and there is no rain, and I don't use a hose to wash it out. My bilge under the step was almost completely dry until I pulled the plug on the ice chest and then there was a small amount of water that appeared. I am almost certain that water is going around the outboard stringers and forward. I will check again in a couple weeks when I am up at the lake.
David
I keep it stored indoors. Where is this bilge pump under the step. Maybe mine is broken? Now I am really wondering. Thanks, Tom

Quick Reply: Water under the step in the cabin

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.