Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Used Fountain pricing questions! >

Used Fountain pricing questions!

Notices

Used Fountain pricing questions!

Old 07-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used Fountain pricing questions!

I am looking at 35' Fountains and the prices seem to fluctuate depending on horsepower and drives quite a bit. It seems like the boats that hold their value the most have twin 496's and are pretty much stock. I have found a couple Lightnings in mint condition, but have superchargers and XR drives etc for less money than an Executioner that is only a year or 2 newer with stock 496's and Bravo drives. I am pretty new to these high performance I/O boats so can someone please explain why these 90 to 100 mph boats with the pricey go fast parts aren't worth considerably more money than a pretty much stock boat.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by qshag
I am looking at 35' Fountains and the prices seem to fluctuate depending on horsepower and drives quite a bit. It seems like the boats that hold their value the most have twin 496's and are pretty much stock. I have found a couple Lightnings in mint condition, but have superchargers and XR drives etc for less money than an Executioner that is only a year or 2 newer with stock 496's and Bravo drives. I am pretty new to these high performance I/O boats so can someone please explain why these 90 to 100 mph boats with the pricey go fast parts aren't worth considerably more money than a pretty much stock boat.
as quoted from one of the other members here
you can pick two out of three, but not all three
RELIABILITY
SPEED
CHEAP
Old 07-18-2007, 01:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by waterboy222
as quoted from one of the other members here
you can pick two out of three, but not all three
RELIABILITY
SPEED
CHEAP
Which two would I be choosing if I bought this boat and why?

2002 35' Fountain Boat in excellent shape. You will not believe this boat is 5 years old. Interior looks like new. Toilet has never been used. Boat is 100% perfect with Mercruiser 500s with Joey Griffin installed blowers dyno at 650hp each. Joey has built more blower motors for Fountain then any man alive. These motors are both new and should live for several hundred hours. Both out drives rebuilt last August, XR Uppers, IMCO shorties and Lab Props. Price includes triple axle aluminum trailer, Bimini Top, Battery Chargers and new cockpit cover plus a full cover. This is a LIGHTNING with all the upgrades, not an inferior Classic or Executioner. GPS ANY DAY ON ANY WATER AT 99MPH+ $99,000
Old 07-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Platinum Member

Which two would I be choosing if I bought this boat and why?

2002 35' Fountain Boat in excellent shape. You will not believe this boat is 5 years old. Interior looks like new. Toilet has never been used. Boat is 100% perfect with Mercruiser 500s with Joey Griffin installed blowers dyno at 650hp each. Joey has built more blower motors for Fountain then any man alive. These motors are both new and should live for several hundred hours. Both out drives rebuilt last August, XR Uppers, IMCO shorties and Lab Props. Price includes triple axle aluminum trailer, Bimini Top, Battery Chargers and new cockpit cover plus a full cover. This is a LIGHTNING with all the upgrades, not an inferior Classic or Executioner. GPS ANY DAY ON ANY WATER AT 99MPH+ $99,000
That sounds like a nice boat, the price is sure reasonable. Just be aware that blown engines are not going to be real low maintenance. You will need to run good gas in them and lots of it, and they will require more TLC than stock 50EFI's. For my money I would (and did) go with stock EFI's. I have had enough blown boats, they are lots of fun very fast, and make good noises. But for now I am really enjoying just being able to turn the key and they start right up every time. Change the oil every once in a while and that is about all you have to do.
How often can you run 90+mph???
Just my opinion!
Old 07-18-2007, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boats with non-stock power almost always sell for less than stock Mercs whether its 500s, 496s, ect. Unless they came from a big name (sterling, cheif, KE, etc) most people are nervous buying big power used.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:08 PM
gcoffshore.com
Platinum Member

Go with stock I have had my share of problems with blown or supercharged boats not all have problems but most do and they cost when they do break.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:35 PM
Registered

The 496HO is a great low maintenance motor and also is more fuel efficient than the 525. Yes, the 525 will get you maybe 5 more top end mph but it cost much more to insure
a boat with a total hp over 1000!
Old 07-18-2007, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

...... so can someone please explain why these 90 to 100 mph boats with the pricey go fast parts aren't worth considerably more money than a pretty much stock boat.

People do not want to buy into someone else's hot rod program. You never know exactly what they did, if they did it right, and if it will stay together, regardless of what they tell you. Until it comes apart, and then it's the big . Stock power is more of a known comodotity, therefore of more value to a potential buyer. I for one would/will never buy into a hot rod engine package by someone else.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:44 AM
Registered

Great info!!! Thanks guys!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 12:22 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

2 words....stock power

Quick Reply: Used Fountain pricing questions!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.