Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Anyway to confirm engine hours other than hourmeter???? >

Anyway to confirm engine hours other than hourmeter????

Notices

Anyway to confirm engine hours other than hourmeter????

Old 08-04-2007, 02:05 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyway to confirm engine hours other than hourmeter????

I'm looking at a 1995 Fountain 32' Fever with twin 454 Mercs. The hourmeter shows 402 hours but from reliable sources I think the hourmeter may have been unplugged. Does anybody know if there is any way to confirm actual hours on the engines? Thanks for your help.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:50 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Mach 1
I'm looking at a 1995 Fountain 32' Fever with twin 454 Mercs. The hourmeter shows 402 hours but from reliable sources I think the hourmeter may have been unplugged. Does anybody know if there is any way to confirm actual hours on the engines? Thanks for your help.
From what I understand there is not on your year. I believe the newer 2003 ? and later have a memory in the electronics that report hours as well as what RPM range the engines were operated at. I know that on my 2000 it does not have that software.
If the boat looks clean and you like it do a leak down compression test and that should give you a clue on the conditionof the engines.
Good luck,
David
Old 08-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mach 1
If they are fuel injected, then yes. The Me-f 1, 2, & 3 were the first generation computers for this type of thing that I can remember. It's real easy to look at the motors to see.

On a side note, I would certainly want a compression check WITH leak down tests, oil samples for engines, and maybe even oil samples for drives. Best bet for drives would be too run the boat for an hour give or take and drain the oil. Does the owner have service records for you? Just my opinion but hours on marine engines only mean so much. If the boat has been sitting for long periods of time, knowing the hours will become less important vs going though everything on your own (rubbers, coupler, gimbal, cables, and on and on...).

cheers!
jason

Last edited by SDFever; 08-04-2007 at 08:55 PM. Reason: i fat fingered.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:53 PM
Registered

SOME MARINE ENGINE COMPUTERS STORE SUCH DATA.
HOWEVER YOURS MAY NOT, IT MAY BE GEN 1 AND NOT
CAPABLE>. YOU CAN USE WATER BOARD TORTURE ON THE
SELLER OR PERHAPS A VULCAN MIND-MELL. I SAW SPOK
DO IT ONCE ON STAR TRAK
Old 08-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Gold Member

mach1.i have a 94 fever and when i bough it the owner said that the key was left on and it read543hr,s.he said the hours are around 380.my boat guy took his computor and down loaded the info off my engine computor and got the right hours.383.i am told that any merc engine that is injected has a stored record on the ecm.it allso tells of any fault codes that kick up.hope this help.brad