Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
painting plastic hatches / cabin doors / windscreen? >

painting plastic hatches / cabin doors / windscreen?

Notices

painting plastic hatches / cabin doors / windscreen?

Old 08-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default painting plastic hatches / cabin doors / windscreen?

I have a '91 27', with the black cabin doors, hatch, glovebox cover, windscreen, and formerly black dashboard. I replaced my dash with a new white one and all new white gauges, and i'm thinking of painting the plastic white to match the dash.

I'm pretty much set on doing at least the cabin doors and glovebox cover, because the cabin door broke and I glued it back together. I need a coat of paint on it to cover the big crack on it now. I'm still up in the air on whether to paint the fairing and the hatch on the bow.

So, a couple questions:

1) what is the best way to paint this material? What kind of prep is required, and what kind of paint is the best to use? Will just plain "white" look fine, or is there a nice off-white or other color that is commonly used?

2) How will the boat look if I paint the fairing and hatch white as well? Does anyone have pics of an older Fountain with these items painted (still with a black rubrail... or can I paint the rubrail too?)
Old 08-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 84 Likes on 32 Posts

Did the same thing to my 311 a few years ago. All the info you need is some where is this thread.

Any questions let me know.
Don

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ht=project+311
Old 08-20-2007, 01:36 PM
Registered

I went through your thread there, and that boat came out really nice. I did notice you mentioned the product used to prep the rubrail for paint. What did you do to prep your hatches for paint? Did you just use regular automotive paint?

With the small amount of painting I'm going to do, I'll probably just be using a rattlecan. I don't have a water separator or a decent spray gun, so i'm not sure I want to go with a typical spray job.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:45 PM
Registered

Anything plastic (hatches, rubrail, doors, dash, ect....) I used the adhesion promoter first before spraying the primer. You can get this in a spray can from most auto paint stores. Yes I used Sherwin Williams Automotive paint.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Registered

Did you sand the plastic down at all before spraying the adhesion promoter? Was it just adhesion promoter on the plastic, then the paint, or was there a primer coat applied between the adhesion promoter and the paint?
Old 08-20-2007, 02:08 PM
Registered

Sand with a red schotch brite pad, adhesion promoter, primer (automotive grade), Base (Automotive grade) and then the cler coat (automotive grade).