Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
29 or 32 Fever >

29 or 32 Fever

Notices

29 or 32 Fever

Old 09-12-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really appreciate all the input on this, I hope to make this jump within the next few months. This is a 32 I have seriously considered looking into. http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o18458-en.html
From the pics, it really looks like a well maintained boat, & I really like the graphics.
How does the cockpit areas compare to my 26ZX? How much room is there in front of the engines? I do the majority of my own maintenance, so the little extra room is nice...
I hope to be able to take a test ride in a 29 & a 32 within the next couple of weeks. A marina in Destin has one of each & I plan on going over to at least take a close look at them, & hopefully a ride...
I have looked at some 35's, but I am worried about the extra length when it comes to fitting in my shop, I would have to do a bit of measuring...LOL.
How much of a "learning curve" is there going from a single to twins? Do most folks dock with just one engine, or do they use both?
Thanks again...
Old 09-12-2007, 12:49 PM
Registered

Once you understand the logic and physics behind operating a twin engine boat it is actually quite easy. Easier than a single engine boat to dock. You will like it. Good luck. The boat looks great!
Old 09-12-2007, 01:40 PM
Registered

That is a great looking boat. I had a 2000 32 ft. Lightening, it was a great boat, mine had the 385's in it, ran around 74 mph with some labbed props. Go give her a drive / ride....

Last edited by Reggie; 09-12-2007 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:41 PM
Registered

I found the learning curve to be quite easy and rather quick, docking or backing up to a dock, with twins. You can essentially control the nose and back of the boat independently of each other (more-or-less) using fwd/rev of each engine combinations. Bow reacts much quicker and much more predictable than with a single engine boat. You will get the hang of it rather quickly! This is with the props rotating OUT. Rotating in, it acts much more like a single engine boat - doesn't react as fast and tends not to want to backup quite as straight.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:03 PM

I do hope I get a chance to run the one in Destin within the next couple of weeks. I'll get to see both a 29 & a 32 side by side, & I'm sure that will help with my decision.
Thanks for the input, hopefully if all goes well, I'll be posting about my "new to me" boat soon.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was always taught to buy the biggest boat that I could afford to own AND operate. So for me, twins were out of the question. Good luck.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:58 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Cockpit too small on the 32......looks like my 27. If its just you and the wife than fine, but add another couple and I begin to get irritated with somebody always standing in the spot i need to be. The cabin is another issue I have. Im too tall for fountain cabins. Unless the 30 somthing boats are dramaticly taller inside I dont see myself buying another reggie boat. Too bad too, b/c I really like'em.
Old 09-14-2007, 03:44 PM
Registered

Default 29 vs 32

Bob-T hit the nail on the head with the 29 havin the biggest cockpit size with the single. The cabin door is also alot bigger. The other thing is the 29 is also taller with more freeboard then the 32. The main reason fountain stopped building the 32 with bigblocks was that they were sinking on the docks and when anchored. The swim platform can be pushed under water with very little weight on the back of the boat and waves from the rear makes it take on water.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by PowerboatsNW
Bob-T hit the nail on the head with the 29 havin the biggest cockpit size with the single. The cabin door is also alot bigger. The other thing is the 29 is also taller with more freeboard then the 32. The main reason fountain stopped building the 32 with bigblocks was that they were sinking on the docks and when anchored. The swim platform can be pushed under water with very little weight on the back of the boat and waves from the rear makes it take on water.
Thanks for the info, I have seen certain models that do sit very low in the water. So, it seems like my search should be the 29 or the 35....Hmmmmm....Guess I need to do some measuring in the ole shop....
Old 09-16-2007, 06:16 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had 6 people on the back of my 32 with zero problem. Never an once of water in the bilge.
Not the problem that everyone makes it to be.

Lets see the numbers of sunk 32's.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 09-16-2007 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 29 or 32 Fever

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.