Bottom Blue Printing >

Bottom Blue Printing

Notices

Bottom Blue Printing

Old 10-11-2007, 12:38 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
There was a guy in the Fountain forum 2 yrs ago that had his bottom blueprinted here in IN. if I recall correctly. Might do a search.

ask shall receive.......

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ht=blueprinted

Last edited by tomtbone1993; 10-11-2007 at 01:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:55 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
Runninhotracing - I appreciate the information that we talked about this afternoon.

I am still concerned about the $4,000 price for doing a 35' boat. Does anyone else think this a little steep?
REBEL give CHRIS at Extreme fiberglass a call he is a perfectionist (does alot of SKATERS smaller work) and im sure you will like what he has to say andyou'll be moving that fountain to his place
EXTREME 517-394-0074
Old 10-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Runninhotracing - thanks for the number. I'll be on the phone to check it out. I appreciate the information. I'll let you know how it comes out.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:31 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
That be da one Dan. Also I see it is IL, not IN.
Nabber's shop is in Morris Illinois. The guy with the 42 Fountain is from Indiana.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 10-11-2007, 07:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RBT
To fill you guys in a little more.

When you build a boat, regardless of how straight the mold is the hull shrinks as it cures. This is one of the reasons they release from the mold.
The biggest issue is heat, good shops can control the exotherm in the resin, but most cannot control the humidity or air temp, a hot boat will shrink more. Generally winter built boats are better.
As for the shrinkage, all the straight hard lines on the hull do a better job of retaining there design shape better than large flat surfaces. So the edges for the transom, chines and strakes typically hold, and the big flat areas between them shrink causing a concave area. This is most noticed in front of the transom as this is the most ridged part of the hull...... and hence the hook. A good shop will grind off the gel and fill the hook with structural filler then regel the hull...... and real good guys will leave the finish in 400 grit, with the sanding lines following the direction of water flow......... this last bit is only ok for boats that are kept on lifts or are trailer queens. As gel is like your skin and will absorb anything....meaning it will stain.
Lastly... NEVER and I repeat NEVER wax your bottom.

RT
How much filling and/or grinding is going to depend upon how bad the bottom is to start with. I had my Hustler done a few years ago, and saw minimal gain. But, the bottom was extremely good to start with. Shop I used in NY has seen as much as 5 MPH pick-up. but, all depends on how bad it is at the start,
Old 10-13-2007, 11:38 AM
Registered

Runninhotracing - I called the number, but the lady that answered didn't know about Extreme Fiberglass. I repeated the number and she said that was her number, a private residence. Got another number? Thanks.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was under the impression all Fountains were Blue Printed Hulls from the factory? My 2001 Fever I swear it says so in the brochure?? With that being said, wouldn't one just be worried about a hook at the pad/transome and not the entire hull. I know when I am running WFO only about 12" of the hull is even in the water. Just something to think about.

Also isn't it easy to see if one even needs Blue Printing, just take a straight edge and place it along the hull to see if their is a hook. I would make sure somethings wrong before I would go fixing. Just some things to think about

WILL
Old 10-16-2007, 04:50 PM
JB Marshall
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 32storm
How much filling and/or grinding is going to depend upon how bad the bottom is to start with. I had my Hustler done a few years ago, and saw minimal gain. But, the bottom was extremely good to start with. Shop I used in NY has seen as much as 5 MPH pick-up. but, all depends on how bad it is at the start,

32storm, Who & where in NY did yours?
Old 10-20-2007, 09:45 PM
Registered

I used a 4' board and placed it in line with the bottom two strakes on either side of the center line. I didn't see any gaps. Does this mean that the bottom is straight? How percise do you have to be to detect any flaws in the bottom? I don't want to throw money away if their is no speed gain.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
I used a 4' board and placed it in line with the bottom two strakes on either side of the center line. I didn't see any gaps. Does this mean that the bottom is straight? How percise do you have to be to detect any flaws in the bottom? I don't want to throw money away if their is no speed gain.
Hi Rebel Heart,
I just read on the Fountain web site that the bottom of all fountains are blue printed in the factory during the assembly process. Not sure if that is true, or just what them mean, but that is what they say.

Quick Reply: Bottom Blue Printing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.