Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
42 Fountain in big water verses Apache or Cig. >

42 Fountain in big water verses Apache or Cig.

Notices

42 Fountain in big water verses Apache or Cig.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HiPerf2000
The stepped 42 fountain that drenched me was a staggered setup which made it run very flat. a tripple will run more stern heavy and allow the bow to lift.
fountain doesn't build a triple 42 anymore. get a 42 with twin 700's. what a rocket!! or a 47 with triple 525's
Old 11-29-2007, 09:32 AM
Registered

thanks, yes still for sale, in heated storage now, and winterized.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave - How much?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:14 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
DT 42,

That pic is priceless! The kind of shot we all wish we had on the wall.
You're Reggie's new poster boy.
That pic was taken at the Chicago Poker run. There were alot of boats that got photographed like that if they were brave enough to go out in the 6-8 ftrs.
www.chicagopowerboat.com
Old 11-29-2007, 11:41 AM
Registered

http://www.chicagofountain.com/prode...id=365&catid=4
Old 12-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by REDDEATH
Please help .I want to get back into the sport after a 15 plus year absence and am considering a stepped bottom 42 Fountain.The boat will be run VERY HARD in the Atlantic Ocean off NJ only.I know the Fountain will be much faster but will the Fountain be able to handle the same water as say a 41 Apache or a 42 Cig(number 6 drives will be a must ).I plan on going on day trips of up to 150 miles and dont want to destroy myself or the boat. Please keep in mind we are talking NJ water here so unless you have been in it its hard to relate to .
Lots of opinions. But there should be no surprise that there is actually data on deep V boats in rough water. So much, that models based on experimental data, and not on speculation or theory, do exist. And the models accurately predicted that pad keels made for a smoother and faster ride just a year or so before Reggie added a pad to that Excalibur hull that got this whole thing started.

First, everyone should recognize that the logo on the hull really is not noticed by the ocean. So let's stop pretending that a Cig or an OL or a Fountain is different because of the factory. Irrelevant.

What limits your ability to go fast?

1) Does the boat break in half, or destroy drives, or whatever. Let's assume that you are going to have decent equipment and lamination no matter who you go with. Sure, drawers or mirrors or CD players may come adrift in any boat. Let's ignore that noise.

2) Vertical accelerations! If the boat pounds hard, you won't be able to take it, and the stuff in the boat won't take it, and the structure will eventually give up too.

So what is it that causes vertical accelerations to be low? In no particular order:

1) Length. The longer the boat, the smoother the ride. Steps don't change this, but a beak or swim step obviously does not help. Therefore a 42 fountain is pretty similar in length to a 38 cig, and a 47 fountain is about the same as a 42 OL or Cig.

2) Weight. The heavier the boat, the smoother the ride. Of course, it also sucks more gas, requires more HP, therefore mechanical problems and cost increase with weight too.

3) Deadrise: More deadrise means a smoother ride.

4) Narrow beam: the narrower the beam, the smoother the ride.

The interesting thing is that a pad bottom at 15 degrees deadrise is much smoother riding that a 24 degree constant V, because at the initial impact, when energy is highest, the planing surface -- the surface the water sees -- is only 2 feet wide, not 8 like on a standard V. The difference is substantial, and has been demonstrated by Fountain's racing success for nearly 30 years now.

Still, the weight of a Cig is often 30 percent more, and an Apache 50 percent more than a Fountain, so they can subjectively feel much smoother.

You can just leave the transom plug out of your fountain, and get a smooth ride like that if you want.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:13 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

A 15 deg pad bottom is a smoother ride than a 24 degree? Maybe across smooth water
Old 12-01-2007, 11:40 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by REDDEATH
Please help .I want to get back into the sport after a 15 plus year absence and am considering a stepped bottom 42 Fountain.The boat will be run VERY HARD in the Atlantic Ocean off NJ only.I know the Fountain will be much faster but will the Fountain be able to handle the same water as say a 41 Apache or a 42 Cig(number 6 drives will be a must ).I plan on going on day trips of up to 150 miles and dont want to destroy myself or the boat. Please keep in mind we are talking NJ water here so unless you have been in it its hard to relate to .

Just ask chuck....

He might tell ya a nice story about waves coming over the side of the boat, engines conking out and everyone with lifejackets on scared for their lives...
Old 12-01-2007, 11:49 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by hunster
You'll still be ducking waves in the ol. Just ask "no regrets" about after the manhattan brunch run this fall.
How about Patchogue?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:40 AM
Registered

Get a 47 Fountain 47 sport cruiser for higher freeboard, 6'3" cabin height, and smoother ride and put 33 850s and #6s in it,. You'll have the best boat in the world!

Quick Reply: 42 Fountain in big water verses Apache or Cig.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.