Excutioner >

Excutioner

Notices

Excutioner

Old 01-09-2008, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
With the rising cost of gas and materials and the devaluing of the $, things are looking pretty bleek for the performance boating industry.

I hate to say it but unless there is a miracle breakthru that once again provides a cheap energy source, I think the glory days of Performance boating are behind us. While there will always be a market for these luxary items, I fear fewer and fewer people of moderate income will be able to afford them.
hate to even think about it...
Old 01-09-2008, 01:44 PM
Registered
Gold Member

New boats arent selling. They can ask whatever they want! Lots of inventory out there!
Old 01-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Registered

FPB (Fountain Powerboat Industries) is trading around $1 for a reason - down from over $8 a few years ago. With the rising cost of gas and materials and the devaluing of the $, things are looking pretty bleek for the performance boating industry.

I hate to say it but unless there is a miracle breakthru that once again provides a cheap energy source, I think the glory days of Performance boating are behind us. While there will always be a market for these luxary items, I fear fewer and fewer people of moderate income will be able to afford them.
I am afraid you are right on the money. The market for this stuff is shrinking fast. I will hold on untill I can no longer justify it. Its not that gas is the only thing that has gone up. The price of gas has caused everything to jump another 20% so we are getting squeezed from both ends. Something has got to give.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:00 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

I couldn't not justify upgrading from my 23 Velocity to the 35 Lightning. Did it anyway. Never again. My plans to upgrade to a 42 are on indefinite hold. The total cost to own these things has gotten way high for my tatse. I'm going to consider myself fortunate to have the 35, enjoy it, and keep it at that.

Interstingly, shortly after 1997 when we bought the 35, we also bought a piece of waterfront on the St Lawrence in upstate New York. Property cost roughly the same as the boat. Now the property is worth, literially, about 10 times what the boat is now worth. Kinda puts things in perspective, eh?

Originally Posted by 35 fountain
I am afraid you are right on the money. The market for this stuff is shrinking fast. I will hold on untill I can no longer justify it. Its not that gas is the only thing that has gone up. The price of gas has caused everything to jump another 20% so we are getting squeezed from both ends. Something has got to give.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BeakBoater35
I couldn't not justify upgrading from my 23 Velocity to the 35 Lightning. Did it anyway. Never again. My plans to upgrade to a 42 are on indefinite hold. The total cost to own these things has gotten way high for my tatse. I'm going to consider myself fortunate to have the 35, enjoy it, and keep it at that.

Interstingly, shortly after 1997 when we bought the 35, we also bought a piece of waterfront on the St Lawrence in upstate New York. Property cost roughly the same as the boat. Now the property is worth, literially, about 10 times what the boat is now worth. Kinda puts things in perspective, eh?
This will help the value of your current 35
Old 01-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
This will help the value of your current 35
I hope you are right. My 06 35L is fairly economical to operate
providing I stay out of WOT. I would love a 38 and still may pick up a 1 year old 38 this summer. I have been boating for
25 years from runabouts, to big sportfishers to go fast and you have got to realize when getting in: BOATING AINT A CHEAP HOBBY. Its even worse if you are not a savy owner and have to out source all your maintenance. The only thing
we have no control over is the cost of fuel and insurance.
Further more I bet one day soon we will be hit with some kind
of a Guzzler tax. Last year I bought a new 07 Roush Mustang
Stage 3 and had to pay a 1000.00 gas guzzler tax.
Buy low and sell high
Old 01-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by nordic95
Hey guys anybody check the prices on the 08 35' models coming out this year???I was at the NYC boat show and for an 08 with 496's and X drives they were quoting me 240,000.00.Seems like this is way over the 07 and 06 prices and the gentleman said that Fountain raised the dealer price 26,000.00 for no reason and no upgrades to show for it.Seems like they are pricing their best selling Fountain out of range for buyers this year.What are your opinions??

Thanks Nordic95
We went to the Louisville show this weekend. They had a 38 there that listed for $480k ish - 700's, nxt transom with 6's. I aked the salesman ( a guy that I know) what it could be bought for and he told me he priced one out last night at $410K. When he saw the look of shock on my face he quickly added, "but at that price it does come with a trailer."

I'm pretty sure that that they can do better but odds are my next boat will also be a used one.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

We went to the Louisville show this weekend. They had a 38 there that listed for $480k ish - 700's, nxt transom with 6's. I aked the salesman ( a guy that I know) what it could be bought for and he told me he priced one out last night at $410K. When he saw the look of shock on my face he quickly added, "but at that price it does come with a trailer."

I'm pretty sure that that they can do better but odds are my next boat will also be a used one.

The best buy has always been a lightly used late model. Let someone with way more "discretionary income" take the big hit and then take advantage of their generosity. My new, to me, '06 lightning was bought for a little more than half of it's list price with 57 hours on the clock, 40+ of which are under 3500 rpm. These new scanable computers are a wonderfull thing, you can see how it's been run. Making a cash deal mid November didn't hurt the deal either.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Sweet deal Peter. It looks like you found a beauty at a great price. I'll bet you can't wait for spring.