Saving my Fountain

Notices

Saving my Fountain

Old 01-03-2008, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saving my Fountain

Hello all,
I just purchased a salvaged Fountain 31 SFTE. The boat was intentionally sunk at the dock and I bought it from the insurance company.

I have removed the console and I have cut access holes in the floor to get all of the sand out of it! I bunch of sand!! My question is I am down to the fuel tank and it is foamed in. The fuel tank looks good and the foam looks good. I have tried to pull the tank but it will take an act of God to get it out. There was not any water in the fuel tank that I saw when I drained the tank.

I am wondering if I really need to pull the tank since it was fiberglassed in and it looks to be sealed all the way around with foam? The foam did not seem to be wet or holding water so I am thinking that the stringers will be ok there. The stringers were fine everywhere else in the boat that I could test and that was everywhere but the tank. Also if the tank is foamed all the way around what is there for a channel for the water to flow from the cabin and achor hatch to flow out? Is it just PVC pipe that I see at both ends or does it open up under the tank? What are the chances of sand being under the tank as well?

I want to save this boat as there is no structural damage at all. The gel coat looks good everywhere and the boat cleans up as if it was never sunk. I have removed to motors and plan to just buy a new pair to put on her. Any help or info would be very valuable to me. Thanks in advance for you help.
-B
Old 01-03-2008, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

how long was it under water?
Old 01-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

just curious, why was it intentionally sunk?
Old 01-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Registered

I am not sure how long it was down for. I do not think it was long just based on the way it looks.

I was told the guy could not pay the payment so he sunk it to get out of it.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtbone1993
how long was it under water?
Exactly that would have been the first question and then a survey before cutting the check . are these fountains not like the SKATERS with the balsa and water is'nt a problem ???
Sounds like bring her back up ,drain her out and dry her off .
Old 01-03-2008, 06:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RunninHotRacing158
are these fountains not like the SKATERS with the balsa and water is'nt a problem ???
Sounds like bring her back up ,drain her out and dry her off .
obviously you didnt see the delaminated fountain in Key West
Old 01-03-2008, 07:07 PM
Registered

There is no sense in pulling tank with out a good reason like replacing it. Water should not penetrate the closed cell foam. The pvc you saw should go uninterrupted under the tank.Take the time to clear it it is probably full of sand. Fuel will get in the foam if the tank leaked. It would be easy to pressure check the tank while your looking at it. Test with no more than 3 or 4 lbs.If the tag is still on the tank it will tell you what pressure it tested to when constructed. It wouldn't hurt to sound the hull under the tank for piece of mind. Its a nice riding boat Good Luck. Hope you get to enjoy it.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rchevelle71
obviously you didnt see the delaminated fountain in Key West
Obviously NOT !!!!!!!!! or i would'nt have asked .wheres the pics ???????? L@@ks like there may be another one if it is'nt done right ... Believe me i've seen the SKATERS do it ....
ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Registered

rchevelle17, did you look at it enough to determine why it failed. I saw it but didn't feel right about getting too close.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:56 AM
Registered

Thanks mercman! That is what I was looking to find out. I have a phone call into Fountain about it. However we keep playing phone tag. If the PVC is uninterrupted then it will be easy. The tag is still on the tank. I did a visual inspection after I had it drained and it all looks good. However a pressure test would be better. Thanks for the help. I will post what I find from Fountain

Quick Reply: Saving my Fountain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.