Water Pick-ups on Staggered Set-up >

Water Pick-ups on Staggered Set-up

Notices

Water Pick-ups on Staggered Set-up

Old 01-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
I had a pair of 525 SC's with Super Chillers and ran them thru one strainer. The way I had it set up was with two thru hull pickups located each side of the center line of the pad, much like Monstaaa has suggested here, then two seperate lines plumbed up into the single strainer, then two seperate lines up to each of the intercoolers, then out and to thru hulls on each side of the boat. Worked great, as long as you go into the intercooler on it's low side and exit higher you'll never have any issues with traped air, and you can easily see if all is working by looking at the dumps on the side of the boat.

I would wonder about a screen in the pick-up itself, if it were to plug up you might have to take the boat out of the water to clear it, or at least unhook the hose to blow back thru it, and if it is below your water line that's not good. A good strainer should take care of itself in most conditions.
I understand the leading edge is even with the bottom and the trailing edge is no more than 1/4" below the bottom. Are there any situations you guys know of in which the pick-ups interfere with water to the props hurting performance or slowing the boat. Spent a bunch of money to get in the 90s and don't want to slow down.
Old 01-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

becarefull how far below the bottom you go as this will in fact slow you down from just the drag. plus slow you down from the disruption of the water in front of the props unless you have wide centers.
also call fountain for a price on the pickup. or maybe stainless marine
Old 01-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BKSAE, Pick ups can steal speed no doubt about it. Its a fine line to get enough for the motors and not dragging too much. It doesn't matter too much at 70, but 90 and up it matters a lot. Stepped bottoms get even more involved as you start to pass air into the cooling system and pressure gauges can't distinguish between air and water.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
BKSAE, Pick ups can steal speed no doubt about it. Its a fine line to get enough for the motors and not dragging too much. It doesn't matter too much at 70, but 90 and up it matters a lot. Stepped bottoms get even more involved as you start to pass air into the cooling system and pressure gauges can't distinguish between air and water.
Okay, now I don't know wether to do it at all. It works like it is, so maybe I should just forget it.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:36 AM
Registered

How much pressure do you have? Do you have pressure gauges on the chillers too? I didn't mean to discourage you. You just have to be aware of whats at happening. There are numerous ways to go about it. Are you just going to feed coolers with the new pick up? If so it wont have to be very large and one may do it.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Registered

How much pressure do you have? Do you have pressure gauges on the chillers too? I didn't mean to discourage you. You just have to be aware of whats at happening. There are numerous ways to go about it. Are you just going to feed coolers with the new pick up? If so it wont have to be very large and one may do it.
Staggered 575 SCis. Added chillers. I plan for the Imco lowers to feed the engines only. Pick-ups will feed the chillers only. I have -2 lowers on 2001 model hull. Planes easily, and drive height is 1/2" higher than similar hulls for 2003 and 2004. I think the 42s with bravo set-ups were the same for those model years. I don't want to lower the drives to add water pressure because boat runs good for the power and set-up. Pressure gauges read about 4-5 psi and lowers to 1-2 psi as I go faster-either due to aeration or hull lifting with speed. I don't have trouble with heat build-up or overheating, but thinking that the water pressure is too low for the chillers to work properly. Plus I think water pressure needs to be a little higher to be safe.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I thought these looked pretty cool and effective. They are adjustable too.

Jon
Attached Thumbnails Water Pick-ups on Staggered Set-up-73r.jpg  

Last edited by cougarman; 01-09-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:30 PM
Registered

BKSAE, I think 8 lbs through inter cooler is a good number to shot for. Where do you catch water for chiller now? Can you see the dump from the helm or reach from cockpit? If you pick up water for chillers with a pick up similar in size to pick up for motor, run through a strainer and split to coolers. Find a stainer that will bleed air off top and then trim pick up to get ideal pressure. Having not seen your set up understand I am making general suggestions. Avoid aluminum pieces in thru hull pick-ups and places you can't reach under motors.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Registered

BKSAE, I think 8 lbs through inter cooler is a good number to shot for. Where do you catch water for chiller now? Can you see the dump from the helm or reach from cockpit? If you pick up water for chillers with a pick up similar in size to pick up for motor, run through a strainer and split to coolers. Find a stainer that will bleed air off top and then trim pick up to get ideal pressure. Having not seen your set up understand I am making general suggestions. Avoid aluminum pieces in thru hull pick-ups and places you can't reach under motors.
Right now it is split off the sea-pump before entering engine. A "T" was put in the 1 1/4" water intake line just after the sea-pump. Part of water goes to chiller and part to engine. Not the best but simple. Neither the chiller or the engine may be getting enough. I like Latham's products and thought about their pick-ups because they can custom fit to any application. My 01-42' staggered is on about 22" centers, I think. Would a small pick on either side of the drain plug right at the bottom of the V interfere with water to the lowers or props.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Registered

Will a single -12 size pick-up feeding to a single strainer, like Lathams 9" tall one, then splitting to each chiller provide the 8 lbs you suggested. Thanks for the time and suggestions.

Quick Reply: Water Pick-ups on Staggered Set-up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.