29 Fountain vs. others of similar size?

Notices

29 Fountain vs. others of similar size?

Old 01-31-2008, 06:31 PM
SOX
Semper Fi
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 29 Fountain vs. others of similar size?

Just wondering how the 29 Fountain (with single) handles the chop compared to other boats of similar size (28AT, 26 OL, 27ZR, Checkmates, pantera, Velocity...) I am not trying to start any problems I was just looking for information. I realize the best way to answer this is to take as many rides as I can but for now this will help get me started.

I did a search and nothing came up for me but if there is a thread already about this topic please post the link and I will poof this thread.

Thanks,

Rob
Old 01-31-2008, 08:05 PM
Registered

well...I am a Fountain guy but that aside. I am only compairing what I know. I have 3 friends that I boat with. One is a checkmate the other a Baja, and a Cig. All 3 are nice boats but the ride, fit, finish and speed of my boat is superior and they will tell you the same. The closest to the Fountain is the Cig. All nice boats. Never had the chance to ride in an OL but they really look nice at the dock. So in my OPINION....the Fountain is a really great boat for the money.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

29 Fever will make your boat dream come true!!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 08:19 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

ive got a 29 fever and also been in a different 29 fever, i now own a 30 cig and you cannot compare ride, craftmansship, fit, finish or speed amongst the 2, the cig is superior
Old 01-31-2008, 09:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Boomer35
ive got a 29 fever and also been in a different 29 fever, i now own a 30 cig and you cannot compare ride, craftmansship, fit, finish or speed amongst the 2, the cig is superior
Your saying the Cig is faster?
Old 01-31-2008, 09:41 PM
Registered

There are better rough water boats like a Pantera or a similar sized Cig or AT, but it comes at a price:speed. If you're willing to sacrifice some mph, check out one of those. Not sure on a 27ZR, thought about buying one at one time. My guess is that it might be a tad better in rough water, but someone in another thread opined that his chine walked at 70mph. A 26OL has the deadrise, but is not a very heavy boat and will be about the slowest of the bunch. Velocity's ride on a nearly flat pad which sounds like it would beat one senseless in rough water, but would be the fastest with similar power.

For as much crap as some dish out about Fountains, I've learned that it's all in how one drives one. I've learned a lot of pointers from a world champion F1 racer and have put them to good use. You have to know HOW to drive one. It's not as forgiving as other hulls. You really have to pay attention. Either that makes it fun or not fun for the driver (fun for me) There are better wave splitters out there but a single engine 29, when it flies, it flies level and straight. It's ass end does not drop like other boats which gives rise to a nose coming down and stuffing.

The best thing you can do is ask questions (like here) to get peoples' biased and unbiased opinions. Also, check out Poker Run videos that show the start when the water's a mess, try to ID the boats and observe what they're doing and how they're riding.

Ride in them is the best. Maybe fork up some gas $ and go with someone on a Poker run or regular run on a messed up day if you can get the invite.

But I will say this. I had the biggest fun 3 weeks ago in mine just offshore of Cocoa. I read the buoys in the AM and they were reading between 4 and 5 ft with 10-14 seconds of space! I spent 2 hours in that stuff never going below 55 and put my boat up in the sky!!! It was like the Pacific stopped by for a little visit! Never did I feel that I was exceeding the capabilities of the hull.

Good luck in your search and find what's right for you. But I believe the Fountain is the happy medium of the bunch.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:16 AM
Registered

Didn't know Cig made a 30' single...
Old 02-01-2008, 06:45 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've found the ride to be great as well. Everyone bags on Fountain because of the beak and the lack of hull in the water compared to other boats, but there is definately something to be said for the "flying level" thing. Other boats, especially Cigs and Formulas, tend to be very heavy in the ass and fly bow-high. Fountain and Outerlimits do a great job of balancing their boats...and once you get on top of the waves and running fast...the boats ride spectacularly.
Attached Thumbnails 29 Fountain vs. others of similar size?-mich.city2005-714-medium-.jpg  
Old 02-01-2008, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by SOX
Just wondering how the 29 Fountain (with single) handles the chop compared to other boats of similar size (28AT, 26 OL, 27ZR, Checkmates, pantera, Velocity...) I am not trying to start any problems I was just looking for information. I realize the best way to answer this is to take as many rides as I can but for now this will help get me started.

I did a search and nothing came up for me but if there is a thread already about this topic please post the link and I will poof this thread.

Thanks,

Rob
First I think you need to define other boats. The 29 fountain is really more of a 26 er 27ft boat. With that being said it is probobly one of the better riding 26ft boats

This question has been asked, just not the same way. Do a search for best rough water 28ft boat. There was a poll done and the 28 pantera won hands down. Next was the 28 AT and Apache. Although IMO the apache is probobly closer to the pantera.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I was a past 29 Fountain owner and the 29 is one stout built boat. You drive it differently than you would a straight deep v like the 28 Pantera.

I would say out of your list the better built and strongly built boats will be the 29 Fountain, 28 Pantera, 28 Active Thunder, as far as new boats go. An older 28 Cig is nice built you will need to have a pro go through it.

Quick Reply: 29 Fountain vs. others of similar size?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.