another new guy >

another new guy

Notices

another new guy

Old 02-09-2008, 05:58 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mull
reading some threds on alphas i read that a guy has imco shortys for his alpha? anyone heard of such a thing and if so would they help mine also heard that thier is a alpha ss doing some homework

Merc did have an Alpha SS drive years ago, not sure if you can still get them. I think the SS was a different style lower. I had a 32 Pachanga years ago with the 454/330hp and the Alphas, switched the one to be counter rotated as part of the deal, never had any trouble in the 6 years & 550 hours I owned it. Didn't beat the chit out of it but I ran it, did some poker runs and never a drive problem. The Pachanga would be a heavier boat than your Fountain. I wouldn't be all that worried, just keep them serviced and use quality lube. The drive showers are a smart choice, they do help.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 02-09-2008 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drives

when i change to bravo drives other than a bigger hole do i need to change my engine beds higher i`ve seen some bravo xr drives would these be good drives for my rig when complete 400hp hopefully per motor
If you use bravos,the plates fit in the same holes in the transom just need to drill two more bolt holes.And your stringer hight will be fine. But with small blocks and the fact that you have twins,both drives to share the load Fountain is not a heavy boat,you should be fine.Changing to bravos$$$$$. Im runnin a alpha with about 400 hp was good for a lot of hours.Broke it this year but was my fault.John

Last edited by Fenderjack; 02-09-2008 at 07:29 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:53 AM
Registered

D. Mull you will be spanked by the Excalibur this summer and summers to come. Ha never will you beat me. And who's the jerk with the Cat? Haha!
Old 02-09-2008, 12:40 PM
Registered

i recently bought my buddies fever 27 "29" actual length i`ve been reeding and talking to alot of people i`m running twin 350 sb and alpha drives she is a 88 and it runs 67mph i get mixed comments about my speed but i`ve seen it and so have the first three owners i know two of them the said that it sounds about right to them
I would wait until something breaks (which may not happen) rather than investing a lot of time and money on a perfectly good boat. Enjoy the season and address problems when necessary. If you find repeated problems, then change. You may find that you are happy with the present setup and speed.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:36 AM
Registered

Smile

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
If you use bravos,the plates fit in the same holes in the transom just need to drill two more bolt holes.And your stringer hight will be fine. But with small blocks and the fact that you have twins,both drives to share the load Fountain is not a heavy boat,you should be fine.Changing to bravos$$$$$. Im runnin a alpha with about 400 hp was good for a lot of hours.Broke it this year but was my fault.John
thanks i think i may run the alphas untill they go and just replace my mototrs