Fountain Buys Baja Today 3/20/08 >

Fountain Buys Baja Today 3/20/08

Notices

Fountain Buys Baja Today 3/20/08

Old 03-25-2008, 08:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Think maybe the drop of the 27-9 was the plan to make room for the Baja Line minimize the overlap? (I think Its possible)
Old 03-25-2008, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enuff said !!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by runafever
We are not talking about Baja. It was already pointed out by another that Baja is an entry level powerboat. A level that Fountain cannot be compared to. The fact that there were only 3 Fountains and 2 dozen cigs at a poker run means absolutely nothing. Might I remind you that Reggies boats have dominated offshore racing not Cigarettes. Ask Joe Sgro if Fountain is an entry level boat. Get on the discovery channel and watch mega yachts of the world.... We all own entry level boats!
Old 03-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Joe runs on Outerlimits now! Did a lightbulb just go on????
Old 03-26-2008, 03:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by five cent worth
Sounds like the Baja brand is going to be <30 ft and Foutain everything above that.
This theory makes a lot of sense.

I was surprised and disappointed when I heard the 29 Fountain was dropped. Still think that was a mistake
Old 03-26-2008, 03:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by blownincome
Think maybe the drop of the 27-9 was the plan to make room for the Baja Line minimize the overlap? (I think Its possible)
exactly.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:26 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Latest from Reggie on the subject:

"Baja by Fountain" ?????

NEW INFO JUST CAME TO PRINT
Reggie Fountain is now the planet’s largest builder of high performance boats.

According to Reggie Fountain, he has been in negotiations with Brunswick Corp., owner of Baja Marine, for almost a year. “This transaction was not forced on me,” Fountain said in an interview yesterday. “All of my lawyers, bankers, and advisors have said this is a good deal for Fountain Powerboats and I’m very happy with it,” he said.

Fountain says that the $5 million loss reported for last year wasn’t as bad as it sounds as a significant portion of it was for “book write-offs.” He said that last month the company bought back $1 million worth of its own stock, and he said that neither he nor Brunswick were any longer guarantors of the company’s debt.

“They [Brunswick] wanted Fountain to have it and now I’ll be the largest exclusive user for Mercury Racing engines,” Fountain said.

Future Plans

“We’re planning on only one sales and marketing staff so this acquisition will allow me to spread our overhead over many more units,” Fountain said. Baja Marine has 86 dealers and Fountain has 26, giving the combined company over 100 dealers, all specializing in high performance boats. That will undoubtedly be the largest dealer network in the category and with boats at all price points it may provide tough competition for the few remaining high performance builders.

Keeping 10 Baja Models

“We will let the best Baja dealers sell Fountains, and the best Fountain dealers sell Bajas, so long as there is not a conflict in territories,” he said. Reggie went on to say they he would discontinue the smallest Bajas and start with the 23 and go up from there, keeping in production about 10 of the company's existing 18 models.

In their best years Fountain booked $80 million in sales and Baja Marine booked $70 million, according to Fountain. The last several years, however, have been difficult for both companies. In fiscal 2007 Baja Marine was down 19% in annual sales to about 711 units, 84% of which were under 30’. Fountain was down 7% to about 350 units for the same period.

Two Different Ends of the Market

Fountain’s smallest sport boat is 33’ and its smallest fishboat is a 31’ center console. The company reported sales of $68 million in 2007, of which $28 million was from the fishboat product line.

The merger of these two quite different high performance product lines has many industry observers scratching their heads because Fountain has avoided low price-point boats, and that has been Baja’s market niche. Also, long ago Fountain gave up the small boat market where Baja has most of its business. Nevertheless, Reggie Fountain is unfazed by this apparent contradiction in market strategy saying that he looks forward to moving Baja owners up into larger, more expensive Fountains.

“People have been saying for years that we were going out of business, but we’re still here,” Fountain said. “In the meantime Cigarette, Wellcraft, Chris-Craft and other high performance builders have all undergone restructuring and ownership changes.”

Baja Marine employs about 285 people at its plant in Bucyrus, Ohio. Brunswick has announced that production will wind up there in May, 2008. Fountain said that he is currently considering incentive offers from a number of different cities and states and that he will make a decision in a few months as to where he will end up building the Bajas. “We have 250,000 square feet of manufacturing space in Washington, NC, and I can always put on a second shift,” Fountain said.

Fountain said he will change the name of the company to “Baja by Fountain.”
Old 03-26-2008, 11:57 AM
Registered

Very interesting press release. This makes a little more sense to me now. not much but a little.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Registered

This last statement seems to set a direction for Fountain. I wish him well, but I am concerned that this type of an acquisition under what could be the start of a recessionary economy may be bad timing? I hope he has the backing to ride it out?
Old 03-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

There you go. Interesting info. Congrats to Reggie. Still sorry to hear things will be closing up in Ohio though. -still sucks for many.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:23 AM
Registered

Does this bother any of you guys with Fountains? I currently own my 2nd Fountain and have always sworn by their boats. Now that RF owns Baja, it seems like a step in the wrong direction. Why would such a superior manufacturer want to own something so inferior? A Baja to me is just a cheap hot rod with no focus on quality. When I first heard about the acquisition, it make me want to puke, then sell my Fountain. They’re supposed to call it "Baja by Fountain"!

Oops, I just threw up on my keyboard!!

Quick Reply: Fountain Buys Baja Today 3/20/08

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.