10 Meter Guages

Notices

10 Meter Guages

Old 04-15-2008, 07:15 PM
10M
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 Meter Guages

Hey guys. I have an '88 10 Meter and am in the process of ordering a new dash & gauges. Does anybody know if it came with water pressure gauges? It has them but they are definately not OEM and they look like they were just thrown in there. The current ones do not work and I haven't researched why yet. I'm contemplating eliminating them completely on the new dash, but not sure yet. If it came with them i'll put new ones in, if not I might just go with the original arrangement (all new of course). The boat has stock 330s. Suggestions would be great.

Last edited by 10M; 04-15-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

10M, Ill be around mine this wkd... Ill check to see if mine has them. (if noone pipes up by then) I have a 89' 10M - are you ordering a whole new dash w/ gauges or pieceing the dash together ? thinking about doing mine in a few months.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:56 PM
10M
Registered

ok thanks. Mine are between the tachs and the speedo. I'm doing it from scratch w/ gaffrig gauges, new panels, etc. Almost ready to order just need to figure out this water pressure situation.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:47 PM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

10m, yes they did have the water pressure gauges, and they are a very critical gauge to have working. The most common problem with them not working is not usually in the guage, but that the line going to it has been clogged.
If you're replacing the guages, do yourself a favor and replace the whole plastic line from the engine block, right up to the guage. They come with standard 1/8th" lines, but those get clogged up real easy, so go to a 1/4" inch line from the block to the guage. I did that as soon as I bought my boat because mine were clogged too. The problem is usually right at the block, usually the first 6" of the line coming from the bottom side of the block will get clogged solid. The slightest little bit of sedament or sand will stuff the line very quickly and the guage will not work. Sometimes if you take the line off at the guage, and blow compressed air with a blow gun through the line, it may unclog it. Most of the time you have to replace the line cause the crud in it is as hard as a rock.
Attached Thumbnails 10 Meter Guages-dash-guages-2-.jpg   10 Meter Guages-dash-116-02-.jpg  
www.chicagopowerboat.com

Last edited by 10x; 04-15-2008 at 10:50 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 1988 10M came with the water pressure guages, but the 1987 12M I had did not.
You will like the w/p guages when you have them. It is just another way to check to make sure your engines are getting enough water. It will tell you, quickly, if you are starving one of them of water causing a over heating problem. It will show you if picked up something like weeds or garabage. Basically it can tell you if everything is OK with your cooling system.
Here is a picture of my 10M dash I redid.
Good luck
Attached Thumbnails 10 Meter Guages-10m-cabin-pics-010.jpg  
Old 04-16-2008, 10:50 AM
10M
Registered

Perfect, that's exactly what I wanted to know. GS...mine looks identical, just will be different colors and without the extra cluster on top. On another dash-related note, there are plastic inserts in the ends of the two throttle levers and I nicked mine taking them out. Any ideas where to get replacements? They're the stock Kiekafer levers. ALso I'm going with 2 5/8 guages, do you know if bezels will fit on them with this dash? Looks like it might be close, especially for the oil temp gauges under the tachs. Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

10M,
You may want to talk to Mercury about the plastic caps. I called them to find out how to take them out of the throttles, with out damaging them. They may be able to help you out.
If you are going with the bigger 2 5/8" guages and a new dash pannel I would think the bezels would fit.
What I did was used my original dash had it powder coated. Then I worked with a vinyl grafix's store and they did the lay out of the lettering. Then I had it clear coated.
I am happy with they way it turned out, but I ran into a problem with bezels. The tach's and the couple of guages around them were to close. I could have ground the bezels down to fit, but I just chose to not use them.
I hope this helps, and good luck