Removing 10 year old Fountain vinly letters on boat >

Removing 10 year old Fountain vinly letters on boat

Notices

Removing 10 year old Fountain vinly letters on boat

Old 05-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Removing 10 year old Fountain vinly letters on boat

I have purchased the new chrome (plastic) Fountain letters for my 1998 32' Fever just like comes on the new boats. My problem is removing the old vinyl letters. I have tried a heat gun and acetone but neither one helped soften up the 10 year old vinly letters. Any suggestions on the best way to remove them?
Thanks!
Old 05-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vinyl letters

If your vinyl letters are like the ones that a sign company would use or on a semi truck, 3m makes a grinder wheel like an eraser matl.you can get at an auto paint supply. I used them on truck doors many times. It does NOT hurt the paint. Not sure about gell coat but I would try it carefuly at first.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:19 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You sure that's not paint?
Old 05-10-2008, 07:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
You sure that's not paint?
Nope. I guess I just assumed it was vinyl letters. I will call Fountain on Monday and try to find out exactly what I am dealing with.
Thanks!
Old 05-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I called Fountain on my '99 they said it was PAINT! Make sure you double check!!!
Old 05-10-2008, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by convincor253
I have purchased the new chrome (plastic) Fountain letters for my 1998 32' Fever just like comes on the new boats. My problem is removing the old vinyl letters. I have tried a heat gun and acetone but neither one helped soften up the 10 year old vinly letters. Any suggestions on the best way to remove them?
Thanks!
I did the same on mine. its paint, wet sand to remove.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 99fever27
When I called Fountain on my '99 they said it was PAINT! Make sure you double check!!!
Thanks, I will start the wet sanding process.
Old 05-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by convincor253
Thanks, I will start the wet sanding process.
OK Being a guy who worked in a bodyshop for 25 years..I think I can help. Try laquer thiner first. Or if it is gel coat you could use boat safe paint remover. Fiberglass paint stripper.

I just don't want you to wet sand your numbers off only to see the markings left permanenty into your gel coat or paint. If you sand on them the sanding will sand the numbers and the area around the numbers. Then once the numbers are gone a fair amount of area ooutlining the numbers will get sanded down too. Thus thinning the paint or gelcaot and or leaving a perfect raised outline permenently in your hull.

I can't guarentee that the sun has not imbedded it into your hull allready but this will help to not make it worse. Then after you strip it off w laquer thinner or stripper .. you can (if you may) block sand the area and buff it with no coarser than 12 to 1500 grit Maybe finish w 2000 buit work coarse to fine .

Just make sure you stripping agent does not make the paint or gelcoat underneath soft. Buff it out then final polish it.Then wax it up good when you are done. That is all I know.. Chad
Old 05-11-2008, 05:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

they are paint Just removed the name on the sides of my old boat and installed the chrome over the shadow left after buffing (There will be one) the new letters covered and looked great!
Old 05-11-2008, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Went thru the same deal with my last 35. I was positive they were vynil, after an hour with a heat gun I came to the brilliant conclusion they were paint . I wet sanded them off, make sure to use a sanding block to keep it flat, then buffed up and installed the new style chrome logo. If you spend the time to blend the sanding process out a little way beyond the area you will never see it. They are for sure painted on there like BI says.

Quick Reply: Removing 10 year old Fountain vinly letters on boat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.