Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
35' lightning with a "hop" >

35' lightning with a "hop"

Notices

35' lightning with a "hop"

Old 05-24-2008, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of the reasons that it looks like it is running "bow down" when you are driving the boat is because the deck does physically slope downward as it goes forward. I noticed this "bow down appearance" on my 35 twin step when driving it and another friend who had one noticed the same thing on his and mentioned how his always looked like it was running "bow down" but it was just the design of the deck. Once I looked more closely at the boat, he was right. The deck does slope down as it goes forward. Also, because those boats tend to like to run fairly flat, so the downward slope of the deck is even more pronounced. Took some time to get used to it.

Last edited by bob_t; 05-24-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:37 AM
Registered

Ragged Edge - would be interested in hearing what you thought of the precision props. I heard Brett thought these might be good in an earlier thread. I know that I have single step, but I'm running the same x-dim. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2008, 04:52 PM
Registered

i would just add some nose cones to your drives, it helps once you run past about 85 mph, and its a lot cheaper than changing your lower section
Old 05-25-2008, 05:12 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

try 2" shorties and cut the flair off the prop hub if you have any. this should help
Old 05-25-2008, 09:31 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
Ragged Edge - would be interested in hearing what you thought of the precision props. I heard Brett thought these might be good in an earlier thread. I know that I have single step, but I'm running the same x-dim. Thanks.

Well this should answer your question, my '06 35 Lightning, HP 525s, 34' centers and a 19" X, lite on fuel with two adults aboard on saturday. The picture says it all!!!

I have e-mailed Brett the poop from saturday and will send him todays full load of fuel info sometime tomorow, then talk to him tuesday if he's free. These props have some promise here.
Attached Thumbnails 35' lightning with a "hop"-prop-test-2029-2.jpg  

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 05-25-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-25-2008, 11:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Well this should answer your question, my '06 35 Lightning, HP 525s, 34' centers and a 19" X, lite on fuel with two adults aboard on saturday. The picture says it all!!!

I have e-mailed Brett the poop from saturday and will send him todays full load of fuel info sometime tomorow, then talk to him tuesday if he's free. These props have some promise here.
Congratrs..You were right about the 94 MPH .Outstanding!!
Old 05-25-2008, 11:44 PM
Registered

Congrats. Great speed. Just curious what speeds were you running with other props you've tried? Such as Bravos or Maximus. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2008, 05:49 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ragged thats Great!!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks guys, it's taken some time but it's comming, not done yet either. Here's the deal so far....................

Started last fall with the test run @ East Coast Flightcraft where I bought the boat. Had 86 on the recall, dodging lobster pot markers in someone elses very expensive boat in fear of hitting one and damaging the boat. I knew it had a little left.

First run this spring with the stock 32 Bravos, full of fuel on dead flat water I got 88. Felt little less fuel and some chop would help.

Second run, close to same fuel but 1 1/2 to 2 footers it ran 90 with the same 32 Bravos. Not bad, and right there with the Reggie Report.

Then came the 5b 15 5/8 X 30 non lab Maxes from Brett @ BBlades, again close to the same fuel, dead flat water again, and ran the 88 number, a match to the Bravos. But some odd chit going on, Brett says lab work can fix this. They would pull 60 @ 3500, up 6 from the Bravos. Did not get to run them in rough water. Sent them back to Brett as we both felt there was nothing left to learn, he needed them back for someone to try as well, and one wheel/hub assembly fell off the trailer on the way back over to try them the following day in windy conditions.

Almost two weeks later, trailer is all rebuilt, and off we go saturday to try the other 5 blades which Brett was super about letting me keep beyond the normal time because of the trailer fiasco. These are "as cast" 15 1/4 X 30 Precision Propeller 5 blades with no diffuser flare, and a totally different blade design compared to the Maxes. These things are something, ran 47 @ 3000, then 57 @ 3500, and then the 94 @ 5350, in the same patch of water the Bravos ran 90, 1 foot chop, but lite on fuel. Overall handling and performance is hands down way ahead of the stock Maxes. On plane is good considering the lack of any diffuser, could possibly be better, but pretty good, remember here it is not a stellar performer on plane with this X to begin with. Once up and running the boat is a dream, and at 94 it is lite, but on a rail, runs thru chit like it's not even there.

Jump to sunday, yesterday, to further the learning curve I decided to again test the PP 30s. So fueled it up to see how they handle the added weight. It did hurt a little, but ran a solid 90 to 92 over the afternoon, faster as the fuel load began to go away. Was still showing close to full at the end of the afternoon, but we all know that's more like 3/4s in a Fountain. I think this is in part due to the smaller diameter, but will talk to Brett, rather than second guess things here, and see what he thinks after I send him the rest of the numbers. All in all these are very impressive props, and should be a consideration for a lot of guys who want a 5 blade but not the Merc price tag. I plan to continue working with these, to see what Brett can come up with in terms of a lab deal and maybe get that number up a little more when lite on fuel, and hold on to it with the added weight in the boat. I'm still open mindedly looking at the Maxes and Bravos, and Brett has some ideas on those as well.

This is turning into a fun project, the only wrench I've turned is the torque wrench on the prop nuts. I'm just loving this chit! To quote myself "Prop On...........Prop Off, Speed goes up, Life is Good!

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 05-26-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:02 PM
Registered
VIP Member

i am probably going to call brett this week and see what he thinks about my situation. I didn't get to run any this weekend. Had a bunch of stuff to do and went to the lake today but the weatherman didn't cooperate

Quick Reply: 35' lightning with a "hop"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.