Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Need HELP getting on plane..any ideas?? >

Need HELP getting on plane..any ideas??

Notices

Need HELP getting on plane..any ideas??

Old 05-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like everyone says the Bravo prop will plane much better. It will give you better fuel milage at cruise speed too.

Getting on plane in the 27 Fountain requires full tabs and full down drive.

Now for the trick.

It will plane better with less throttle. It seems hard to believe but in most cases it will. Think about it this way. When you floor it and the nose goes sky high the stern is digging a huge hole in the water. To get on plane the boat must climb out of this hole. Therefore the smaller you can make the hole the easier it is to get on plane. It takes a while to get the hang of it but it will become second nature. What you have to do to acheive this changes with fuel amd people load but you can feel it.

Everything else everyone said is true. A slight letting off as the boat is starting to come over helps greatly. You will get the feel of how much throttle is required and for how long before you let off and let the boat come onto plane.

The first time I had 5 people in the boat it was embarrassing how long it took to get on plane. After I learned the boat even 6 people was acceptable.

Good luck,

Ron
Old 05-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Griswald
Is this prop LH or RH?
The Hydro is RH
Old 05-29-2008, 07:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by rjcardinal
Like everyone says the Bravo prop will plane much better. It will give you better fuel milage at cruise speed too.

Getting on plane in the 27 Fountain requires full tabs and full down drive.

Now for the trick.

It will plane better with less throttle. It seems hard to believe but in most cases it will. Think about it this way. When you floor it and the nose goes sky high the stern is digging a huge hole in the water. To get on plane the boat must climb out of this hole. Therefore the smaller you can make the hole the easier it is to get on plane. It takes a while to get the hang of it but it will become second nature. What you have to do to acheive this changes with fuel amd people load but you can feel it.

Everything else everyone said is true. A slight letting off as the boat is starting to come over helps greatly. You will get the feel of how much throttle is required and for how long before you let off and let the boat come onto plane.

The first time I had 5 people in the boat it was embarrassing how long it took to get on plane. After I learned the boat even 6 people was acceptable.

Good luck,

Ron
Thank You Ron I think your right on, the more HP made the hole deeper. what pitch should I try ???
Old 05-29-2008, 07:29 PM
Registered

Lee I have a set of 26 bravos at steves shop . Give me call if you need to try left or right.
Jeff
Old 05-29-2008, 08:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by satisfied1
Lee I have a set of 26 bravos at steves shop . Give me call if you need to try left or right.
Jeff
Thank You Jeff, I don't think a 26 will be enough pitch, the bravos are lighter on pitch than the Hydros, I think a 28 would be the right number.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:30 PM
Registered

I don't know you might want to try them at least once. B1 4 blade had better performance than my quad 4 blades. You might want to just try.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beegeebaja
Thank You Jeff, I don't think a 26 will be enough pitch, the bravos are lighter on pitch than the Hydros, I think a 28 would be the right number.
I think you need a 28. But it may still plane slow.. A 26 should plane right now

Contact B Blades. He is all over the prop talk post. He can rent you a prop to try.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

words of advice........never turn down an opportunity to try a prop!!!!
Old 05-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Registered

for what it's worth........ I have 600hp to the prop and approx 580ft lbs and can't turn my 28 Hydro past 4700. Talked to Brett yesterday and he's sending me a 26 Bravo 1 to try. He feels that's the best all around prop for the 27s. I'll have results end of next week.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:43 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

I would try the 26 if i was you. I run a 26 b1, 1.5 bravo, 496ho, and can spin the prop to 68.6mph @ 4850ish rpm i think. Your motor will spin to 5400rpm right?........that should get you upper 70's i think with that prop and get on plane how its supposed to. A 28p b1 just sounds like too much.

Last edited by tblrklakemo; 05-30-2008 at 11:46 AM.

Quick Reply: Need HELP getting on plane..any ideas??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.