Drive spacers >

Drive spacers

Notices

Drive spacers

Old 07-14-2008, 09:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive spacers

Anyone know why my buddies 2005 42 Fountain Ex with 525's and XR drives, turning outbound Hydromotive P5X props without the diffuser ( don't know the pitch, not marked on the prop), would have 1" drive spacers on the drives? The boat runs well, tops out around 81 or 82 @ 4900 rpm. Gets on plane good, has good mid-range. I have the same boat and setup, but turn labbed 30P Maximus inbound and run about the same speeds and rpm's. I have no problems and the boat handles well, has a good hole shot and midrange. Just curious as to what the benefit would be.
Old 07-15-2008, 01:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gerritm
Anyone know why my buddies 2005 42 Fountain Ex with 525's and XR drives, turning outbound Hydromotive P5X props without the diffuser ( don't know the pitch, not marked on the prop), would have 1" drive spacers on the drives? The boat runs well, tops out around 81 or 82 @ 4900 rpm. Gets on plane good, has good mid-range. I have the same boat and setup, but turn labbed 30P Maximus inbound and run about the same speeds and rpm's. I have no problems and the boat handles well, has a good hole shot and midrange. Just curious as to what the benefit would be.
No ideas? I have seen drive spacers used to get the drives deeper to help with the hole shot, but Fountain usually run and have good hole shots with the higher X dimension. Is it because of the props? Monstaa, any ideas?

Last edited by gerritm; 07-15-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the spacers really arent necessary. unless for some reason the x is really high . as for the maximus, they are GREAT prop for this application . 30 is rite on. jusy may need to tweak the props for a slight gain. maybe 84 or a shy bid more.
your pretty much at the limit for the set up.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Registered

Thanks, Monstaaa. That's what I thought. The guy he bought the boat from is turning the p5x's outbound, any advantage besides docking to this setup. Could he turn them back in and gain a little top end?

I like the Maximus labbed 30's on my boat, but I think I will have them tweaked at the end of the season to pickup a couple of hundred rpm.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:08 PM
Registered

love the maximus for all around use.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Racer
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Anyone know why my buddies 2005 42 Fountain Ex with 525's and XR drives, turning outbound Hydromotive P5X props"

He should try running the props in. Everyone I have ever talked to say to run them in on a Fountain ( including the factory). Our motors are staggered, but we lose handling and about 3 mph running them out.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:35 AM
Registered

Monstaaa - just curious, why do you like the Maximus over the P5Xs? I never got a chance to try out the Maximus, but have the P5Xs (31s) labbed. Would I gain any with the Maximus? Running Imco shorties. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:05 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
Monstaaa - just curious, why do you like the Maximus over the P5Xs? I never got a chance to try out the Maximus, but have the P5Xs (31s) labbed. Would I gain any with the Maximus? Running Imco shorties. Thanks.

Rebel, I have not tried the P5x's but judging by how my boat runs with the Maximas, I don't see any reason to change. Going from Bravo's, these made a world of difference. Better planing, great mid-range and acceleration, good top end, fuel economy, better manners around the dock. If you can try a set, go for it. Mercury Racing recommends going down 2 prop sizes from a Bravo prop to start with. Don't get them labbed until you get close to the right setup. Then have Brett @ BBlades do the final setup and labbing. I had Mercury Racing lab mine and they work well, but I they did a standard labbing, I think there is more rpm and speed in the props and will probably have Brett work on them in the fall.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
garrit summed it up very well. the max's are great all around wheels.
the only, but major difference is the shape of the ear, which is not as efficient as that of the herring in high speed surfacing applications. which is why back to back they'll fall short top sppeed wise.
as for the P5x's, their rake and different blade with at specific points attempts to give the lift characteristics of say a max and the top end traits of a herring. very similiar in design to the later but the end result is stability sacrifice.
not saying their bad wheels by anymeans. jsut on the beaks they dont perform to the same level with the airated bottoms as the herrings in my opinion.

Last edited by monstaaa; 08-07-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:45 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by monstaaa
jsut on the beaks they dont perform to the same level with the airated bottoms as the herrings in my opinion.

Do you have the ability to get the Herrings? And could you pin point what my set up would need? I am interested in what a set might do for me. I did talk to Herring a week ago and the guy was, in my opinion, not the sharpest tack in the box.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 08-07-2008 at 11:50 PM.

Quick Reply: Drive spacers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.