29 Fountain Fever >

29 Fountain Fever

Notices

29 Fountain Fever

Old 10-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 29 Fountain Fever

anyone know off hand how well a Z71 Tahoe would pull a 29 Fever with a single engine? im sure its close to its limits but didnt know if anyone was actually towing with a 1/2 ton truck or do i need to go with a 3/4 ton....i wouldnt be towing it far at all on normal weekends but an occasional 2 hour trip to another lake would be about the max i'd have to tow.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Will.

I have towed mine (twin) with a Tahoe, a Mercedes ML 280 CDI, an Isuzu (small pick up like a Toyota Hi-Lux), A Range Rover 2,5 DSE and big duallys and a singel wheel 2500 HD Chevrolet.

All cars can be used, but the most important thing is how the trailer is made and how your boat is loaded onto the trailer. The position of the axles in correspondance to the center of gravity and also where the mass is at. A big overhang behind the axles of the trailer means the trailer will easilt start to swing back and forth (DANGEROUS).

The weight of the car is also important, because the suspension is made for the car's weight and a certain amount of tounge weight extra. A full size truck "likes" a lot more weight (becomes softer in the suspension giving a fine ride) but the smaller cars become more unstable even if they have self leveling shocks.

Also one big issue with light weight cars is when you reverse down the ramp (especially with ramps that are not of concrete/tarmac) the front wheels don't ahve enough grip with much tounge weight...... Can be interesting on wet ramps. Also, the handbrake is not good enough on many big SUVs. It is NOT good enough just to put the car in Park. Also important to have hard rear wheels on the car.

Power wise, all cars can pull on the highway just accellerate a bit slow with a small engine, but on mountain roads etc., a truck with tow/haul button is NECCESARY! I like diesel better than gas for towing. A Duramax has approx 300 hp at 3000 rpms, while the 5,3 gas has 300 hp at 6000 rpm. Therefor, the gas car will need to down shift at least two times (under full power). It can easily damge the transmission (I believe) The Tahoe was not good on this point. For short distances I don't think it will be any problems.

Good luck!

The boat is at least a REAL NICE ONE!!

Last edited by Yamaha 225; 10-03-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used a 1/2 ton chevy for a while. It would do it.. It looked too small though ..Like the boat was gigantic. The brakes are and issue.. With surge trailer brakes you will have to set them and brake quickly otherwise you will cook the rear drums of the tahoe if you try to slow down real slowly. are they drums are do you have 4wheel disc?

The springs in the rear of the tahoe are gonna be too soft. you will need air bags or something to make up for the tonge weight.

But if the tahoe has less than 150,000 miles it should do allright.. I recomend a 3/4 or 1 ton though .. Night and day differnce.

-Chad
Old 10-04-2008, 01:35 AM
Registered

I used to tow my 29 Fountain with my 08 1500 Suburban 5.3 and it was kind of a *****. I live in so cal and go to Havasu a bit as well as the ocean. Will the suburban tow the boat, yes, but not very well. To make it up the hills you have your foot pushed through the floorboard with the suburban rpms at 5,500 or so all the way up the hill! My Suburban had 4 wheel discs and the autoride suspension as well as the trailer (trailer has 4 SS Disc breaks) but felt the breaking of the suburban wasn't adequate in power or breaking ability.

I recently upgraded to a 2500 diesel so we will see how it tows next year when the truck is all broken in, right now I only have 2,000 miles on it so I'm not pushing it to hard. The little I have towed with the diesel truck is amazing power, breaking ability, etc.... Hope this helps.

The old ride

The new ride
Old 10-04-2008, 08:46 AM

Oh pulling is not the problem, stopping is the problem.

You will probably be close to your capacity, so check. Just make sure the brakes on your trailer are working and leave plenty of space between you and everything.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Registered

thanks everyone, i appreciate the input....i think my truck is rated at 7400lbs towing so as i suspected its right there at its limit. i was just thinking of upgrading boats soon but dont want to upgrade the truck right now so i dont want to buy something i shouldnt be towing (safe)
Old 10-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I tow my 29 with '08 Dodge Durango...towing capacity is 8900 lbs. I really don't have too many issues with it other then the suspension feels soft with the boat hooked up (susp sucks on the Durango to begin with). Stopping is no too much of an issue, but maybe I am doing a number on my brakes as racerngr suggests. I pulled my 29 all through the back roads of North Carolina and them from NC up to CT with no issues at all, so you should be OK for some local towing in your Tahoe.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:49 AM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

Your truck will pull a certain amt WHEN PROPERLY EQUIPED. that means a weight distributing set up, etc.

Your over your 1/2 ton hitch limit.....unless you are using a weight distributing set up as the factory hitch calls for. If you have an aftermarket hitch that will take the weight without a weight distributing set you are still over the truck limit that was manufactured to be used with the factory WD set up. Most likely you are also over your ball weight rating and sleave/arm rating too (lots of people overlook this.) The boat and trailer prob weight close to or over 8k lbs. with fuel etc.

Will it pull it...? Yes. Could you break something at anytime, wreck, and be SOL b/c your insurance will see you've exceeded all towing guidelines set buy the manufacture.....? Yes.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Racerngr1
I used to tow my 29 Fountain with my 08 1500 Suburban 5.3 and it was kind of a *****. I live in so cal and go to Havasu a bit as well as the ocean. Will the suburban tow the boat, yes, but not very well. To make it up the hills you have your foot pushed through the floorboard with the suburban rpms at 5,500 or so all the way up the hill! My Suburban had 4 wheel discs and the autoride suspension as well as the trailer (trailer has 4 SS Disc breaks) but felt the breaking of the suburban wasn't adequate in power or breaking ability.

I recently upgraded to a 2500 diesel so we will see how it tows next year when the truck is all broken in, right now I only have 2,000 miles on it so I'm not pushing it to hard. The little I have towed with the diesel truck is amazing power, breaking ability, etc.... Hope this helps.

The old ride

The new ride
I think I've passed you on the 40 once this year coming back from Havasu. Where do you like to launch from when heading out in the ocean?

Sorry for the hi jack.

I've towed my 27 fully fueled with my 07 4.8 liter Tahoe before from/to Havsu home (230 miles) each way. It wasn't too bad except the suspension is TOO soft, a truck should be better. Decent fuel mileage though, 13 aveage, the duallie is only 10.
Old 10-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Registered

I pulled my 29 with a single from fargo ND to Spokane Wa,
thats 1200+ miles and over the rookies. Averaged 14.5 mpg in a 2003 yukon Denali with the 6.0 (400). And it did it with ease.

Quick Reply: 29 Fountain Fever

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.