Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
superchillers on a 525sc?????????? >

superchillers on a 525sc??????????

Notices

superchillers on a 525sc??????????

Old 10-12-2008, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default superchillers on a 525sc??????????

Has anyone put chillers on a 525sc and if so what was the out come? It looks like the throttle linkage must be changed also. any other supprises. And last would you use the pressure off the water system or add a pick up so the chiller was not working when at idle.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

The chillers are the most reliable HP upgrade you could do. Had a pair of 525 SCs with them for many seasons and they were bullet proof. Mine were rigged with two thru hull pickups into one big strainer then in the low side of each of the intercoolers and out the high side to dumps on each side of the boat. Work when running but not when at idle which allows the heat to come back into the engines and they idle like stock. Very simple set up and worked like a dream. Do the chillers and the smaller pulley and you gain about 75 HP, they run at 7 - 71/2 lbs of boost which is modest for the intercooled package and very reliable.

I don't remember having to change anything with the throttle linkage. If you decide to do this I would be glad to pm you a phone number and give you a better description of the install.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 10-13-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 06:28 PM
Registered

I may take you up on this , always looking for a little more. I run 7lbs now with out the chiller and everything seems good. I did change the heads to alum.
Old 10-20-2008, 01:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by carney
I may take you up on this , always looking for a little more. I run 7lbs now with out the chiller and everything seems good. I did change the heads to alum.
How do plan to plumb the water source for the chillers. I've put them on 575s but still have not installed water pick-ups yet. Too afraid of making the worong choice.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Registered

I was going to take a good look at a new 600, I have and it looks like they tapped into the main water line and dumped the water into the tips. This might be ok but I know of guys having trouble pooling fuel , they say you donot need water until the boat is moving on plane?????????
Old 10-22-2008, 05:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by carney
I was going to take a good look at a new 600, I have and it looks like they tapped into the main water line and dumped the water into the tips. This might be ok but I know of guys having trouble pooling fuel , they say you donot need water until the boat is moving on plane?????????

Fuel dropping out at idle when passing thru the cold intercooler is easily avoided by using the water routing noted above in my above post. As you slow and drop off plane the water slows and stops circulating thru the intercooler, the engine heat warms the intercooler and prevents this. The engine idles as well as stock. Also if you are running the Merc / Gill style manifolds you might not want to dump the extra water into the exhaust. Not to contradict Merc, but I see no reason for their set up, other than to make the entire engine package "drop in ready" where a builder does not have to deal with extra rigging when installing their package.

All I can tell you is that rigged as above I ran for six seasons with absolutely no issues at all.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Fuel dropping out at idle when passing thru the cold intercooler is easily avoided by using the water routing noted above in my above post. As you slow and drop off plane the water slows and stops circulating thru the intercooler, the engine heat warms the intercooler and prevents this. The engine idles as well as stock. Also if you are running the Merc / Gill style manifolds you might not want to dump the extra water into the exhaust. Not to contradict Merc, but I see no reason for their set up, other than to make the entire engine package "drop in ready" where a builder does not have to deal with extra rigging when installing their package.

All I can tell you is that rigged as above I ran for six seasons with absolutely no issues at all.
What pick-ups did you use. I want to avoid any possible speed loss. I've also been told a single pick-up for both small superchillers is sufficient??????
Old 10-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BKSAE
What pick-ups did you use. I want to avoid any possible speed loss. I've also been told a single pick-up for both small superchillers is sufficient??????

Don't recall brand, but blade style set just at the bottom edge of the pad bottom, did two pickups run into one strainer, fresh water only and no real fear of weeds etc, then split to the two chillers. Brain dead simple set up, easy to install, no moving parts, nothing to fail. Sometimes over engeering things just ain't smart. Close friend that runs a marina and has a lot of hi-perf background suggested this set up, and kudos to him, it was the tits.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:41 AM
Registered

Don't recall brand, but blade style set just at the bottom edge of the pad bottom, did two pickups run into one strainer, fresh water only and no real fear of weeds etc, then split to the two chillers. Brain dead simple set up, easy to install, no moving parts, nothing to fail. Sometimes over engeering things just ain't smart. Close friend that runs a marina and has a lot of hi-perf background suggested this set up, and kudos to him, it was the tits.
Did you have the boat both before and after the pick-ups. Did you lose any speed with the pick-ups that you remember. What is the blade style. Can you point to a web site or part for visual. Thanks so much Ragged.
Old 10-23-2008, 08:42 PM
Registered

Do you have pictures of your old set-up including a transom shot? Thanks.

Quick Reply: superchillers on a 525sc??????????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.