Anyone selling early 2000 38'/42'??? >

Anyone selling early 2000 38'/42'???

Notices

Anyone selling early 2000 38'/42'???

Old 01-06-2009, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JayFan
Sweet Sweet boat Brett... why ya selling it?? It looks super clean..like my boat! I have to respect another neat freak... I just can't do Carbs.. I think I'm spoiled with the EFI's. Just for kicks, you would'nt do a trade would ya???
Jay

check it out.. http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o27208-en.html

Nice lookin boat. Don't think I would do a trade though. My Merc 500 carbs are fantastic motors. I love them and they idle perfectly. Yes I am a neat freak and keep my boat spotless year around. The only way to stay some what rightside up in a boat is to maintain it to the highest standards. Much easier to sell when the time comes. I actually dont know why I am selling. I ask myself that question a lot. It is a fantastic boat that does everything well. Good luck with your sale. If you have an interest look me up when the time comes. I am not renewing my ad so save my phone number.

RAF
Old 01-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Registered

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o26956-en.html

Make me an offer, interior is only two seasons old, boat works well.

Good luck;

Jay Cooke
Old 01-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Ragged,
Your boat must move huh... twin 525's in a 35'.. NICE! How happy have you been with your 35's overall.... I just heard to stay away from the 35's, something about the twin step design????

I was very happy with the 99 single step, had 500 carbs, fell into an opportunity to sell and went looking. Started out thinking a 38 but that meant early 2000 vintage to stay where I wanted to be dollar wise. Meant a side by side or short staggered set up. In my mind when I move into a 38 or 42 it will be the full staggered set up so I decided that being newer with less hours in a 35 was the better deal for now, plus I made a very nice buy on this one. The size works well where we boat and when I decide to change there will be an advantage to a newer vintage boat for sale.

As far as the 35s go ........... loved the single step 99. Great handling and ride, predictable and very well mannered. Thought about boosting the power and keeping it, but then you end up spending a bunch of money you will never get back. And often detract from the value, Merc power sells, people trust it and recognize the value in the reliability. So long story short,,,,,,, bought the '06 35 Lightning and love it. It's a solid 90+ mph boat that is a dream to run. I don't know what people are telling you is wrong with them, this hull works well. You do need to understand what makes this hull work and run it accordingly. They run very little trim, get their running attitude from the hull design rather than required trim or tabs. At 90+ it is literally on a rail.Last spring I let a close friend, he had a 110 mph 35 single step Fountain, have some wheel time one afternoon. His comment was "This biotch has an attitude". As is always the case try one before you judge it, we don't all want the same thing in a boat. I know guys with Formula 353s and they feel they are the greatest hull out there, I wouldn't own one, and that's based on having run them. More often than not those telling the tales have no first hand knowledge of how something works, but that seldom stops them from spouting their "expert" opinion. I have had the good fortune to run a chit load of different performance hulls over the years, and there are some good ones out there, but I still feel when it comes to Vee bottom handling at speed it's hard to beat a Fountain hull design.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Registered

JayFan,

I've got a 2002 42' fountain w/ 575's in great condition.
http://performanceboatbrokerage.com/...sp?boat_id=135

Feel free to give me a call. 678-878-7300 Scott.

By the way, I do take trades.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:53 PM
Registered

Ragged,
Thanks for the info...very interesting. I heard this about the 35 twin steps from a dealer who actually sells Fountains, Cigs, Outerlimits etc. I personally have nothing against them, not ever having the oportunity to drive one.... only other Formulas and Cigs. I'm sure they are all great boats... and hopefully soon I'll be in one! How were the carbs compared to the EFI's... I haven't had carbs since my first boat...and just feel I would be taking a giant step back.
Old 01-06-2009, 03:50 PM
Registered

Ragged,
Thanks for the info...very interesting. I heard this about the 35 twin steps from a dealer who actually sells Fountains, Cigs, Outerlimits etc. I personally have nothing against them, not ever having the oportunity to drive one.... only other Formulas and Cigs. I'm sure they are all great boats... and hopefully soon I'll be in one! How were the carbs compared to the EFI's... I haven't had carbs since my first boat...and just feel I would be taking a giant step back.

My carb 500s ran real well, never had any carb issues, just the standard valve spring problems. I am an old school Holley guy and would run carbs again without any problem. I will say the new 525s are a better motor, and the turn key computer controlled EFI deal is sweet. There is a lot more with them than the claimed 25 hp would lead you to think. When I was looking having the 525s were a big deal for me, which made finding a 38/42 harder to do and stay in the dollar range.

The only negative thing I have ever heard on the twin step is that it can be less than perfect from the low 90s up to just under 100 mph, then comes right back over the 100 mark. That came from Brian at Fountain and I assume he knows what he's talking about. So far mine has run a best of 94, and I honestly don't see any difference whether you're just under 90 or above. What I have seen is that too much positive trim is something the hull does not care for. But then it is not how the hull is ment, or designed to be run. I have a friend that runs a twin step well over the 100 mark and it's on a rail, even he would tell you when he switched from an older single step Fountain to the newer design it took some time to get adjusted to the mindset that you just don't need a lot of trim in this hull. I have not had the chance to run one of the full staggered 35s, but understand from some that have that it is even better balanced at speed because of the staggered engines.

BTW, I did talk to Matt Smith / Performance Boat Brokerage when I was shopping and he struck me as a real straight up guy, he has a decent reputation as well from what I was able to find out. Couple others to check would be Rick @ East Coast Flightcraft in Middleton Mass. where I bought mine, everyone there treated me really well, and Shogren has a very good reputation also. There seems to be a lot of well priced boats out there right now, you should be able to make a nice deal someplace.

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 01-06-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:20 PM
Registered

Again, thanks for the info.. always interesting to get a firsthand view of things.. and from someone who has owned a few of them!!! I can't say so far I'm too impressed w/ Matt or Scott from Performance Boat.. I emailed them 3 times with simple questions and they can't seem to answer them via email??? I guess they are selling to many boats??? NOT!

I heard the same about the 525... I hear that is a far superior engine than the 500. I agree that there are and GOING to be many quality boats for sale...

Do you ever get down to Long Island sound?? I'd love to see the "biotch"... and so you can blow my doors off!! Hey, at least my boat has more colors!! If you don't mind I might ask ya somemore questions in the future about Fountains, engines etc.

ps.. how much of a pain in the ass are the left hand throttle controls!!! Reggie, Reggie, Reggie!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Registered

ps.. how much of a pain in the ass are the left hand throttle controls!!! Reggie, Reggie, Reggie!

Takes some time to adjust, but comes around after a while. My youth was spent in the muscle car era with the steering wheel in my left hand and the shifter in my right and my brain took some time to get with the program.

All I can say is Matt was responsive to me. I'm not much of an Emailer myself, I use that antiquated form of communication ............... the phone. Call Rick at East Coast, they're not that far from you.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 AM
EWB
Registered
Platinum Member

Sorry it took so long.
Eric
Attached Thumbnails Anyone selling early 2000 38'/42'???-picture-274.jpg   Anyone selling early 2000 38'/42'???-picture-276.jpg   Anyone selling early 2000 38'/42'???-picture-280.jpg  

Old 01-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Satisfied has a 42 he is wanting to get out of.

Quick Reply: Anyone selling early 2000 38'/42'???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.