Notices

Fountain Reliability?

Old 04-17-2009, 12:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fountain Reliability?

Hey OSO Brothers....

Quick background, then my question. I have a 33 Outlaw and long story short my insurance company has denied my claim after hitting a log in the Hudson River. It may come to a head soon and I'll be getting some money for my boat. Anyway, looking forward to replacing it and have been contemplating Formulas and Fountains and Sunsations. Curious what your take on them were. In terms of stability, reliability, etc. etc. I'd probably be looking at a 31-35 '98-00 so feedback on those years is more important.

Thanks in advance.

-mike
'14 VW Touareg TDI
'17 Holden Commodore 6MT
'13 Subaru BRZ Spec 86 Cup Race Car
Old 04-17-2009, 02:34 PM
Registered

Hi Mike,
I currently own a 99' 42 lightning. I am 27 years old and have owned 4 previous boats (sea-doo, sea ray pachanga, formula and scarab) The fountain is the BEST built boat that I have owned. I work on my boats and almost never have things professionally worked on, so I get to know them inside and out. Formula is a good boat, but it cannot compare to the fountain. I also have looked at sunsations, they look like a quality product and have heard nothing but good things about them. Good luck and happy hunting!
By the way, Fountains parts department is excellent, a little pricey, but has everything.
Old 04-17-2009, 03:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Joe, thanks for the input. I found the rigging and overall quality of the 2 Bajas I have had to be a little less than what my minimum standard would be, not that they were bad and perhaps it was just the previous owners or where they had em worked on, but just found it lacking. I also work on my own boats with my buddies so it's good to hear that they are well made, I figure since I'm buying a used one, I might as well make sure that it's gonna last!

Keep the input coming guys!

-mike
'14 VW Touareg TDI
'17 Holden Commodore 6MT
'13 Subaru BRZ Spec 86 Cup Race Car
Old 04-17-2009, 05:05 PM
Registered

Dynamic performance is of course very good with a Fountain.

Reliability: A mercruiser is a mercruiser. K-Planes and Steering is top notch. Construction seems well above average, maybe as good as it gets. Wiring is pretty good.

The biggest single expense for me is that I've got twin engines that are not staggered. This means lots of maintenance requires a LOT of extra work. For example, at least one engine gets pulled to replace starters.

My next boat WILL have staggered engines, with LOTS of room all around them: top, sides, and also aft, between the engine and the outdrive.

So I would strongly suggest you limit your search to a staggered boat.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Registered

I have had 6 Baja's ranging from 21 ft up to my last one a 38 Special. I loved all of my Baja's but my Fountain is amazing in all ways. The rigging,the performance the handling. I will definitely buy another one thats for sure.I do have the staggered engines witch make it allot easier to do maintainance. Go with the Fountain you will love it.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:06 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have owned 5 Fountains from 27 to 38 ft. As far as reliability, the only problem I ever had was a seat in a 32 that the seam came apart and was repaired under warranty. No electrical problems, no cracked or broken parts and we boated 100-120 hrs a year. Mercuiser power as crash said is mercuiser, had a EFI 500 hp that burnt a head gasket, in a 35, after 200 hrs. Cabins are on the small side, not great for overnighting if you have more than 2 people, can be done, just not a lot of room. Decide what you are going to do with the boat, and make you choice based on that. Great ride, stable, usually the hull is faster than competitors with the same power that are equal in size if speed is important. Effecient hulls, also mean less fuel used per hour. For what we do, Fountain builds the perfect boat. If you are looking for a bigger cabin, take a look at Active Thunder, or Sonic.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Registered

Just bought a 2005 32' Sunsation Dominator. So far so good. Never owned a Fountain and my last boat was a Cobalt. Cobalt was extremely well built.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

remember with any boat the hull is what you are buying!!! the options in the boat make up the reliability factor the most all around fastest most stable hull for a V bottom is a fountain
and the newer ones have great fit and finish.. if u are looking for a cruiser in a gofast type hull a formula is the ticket.. if you are looking for fountain quality w/ a roomy cabin then a new baja is what you are looking for ... if you want, look feel and ride there is only one one Choice!! FOUNTAIN!!
if you are in NY City come see both fountain and formula boats in Norwalk at www.boatshowdirect.com or if you want to make a trip see them in Middleton mass at the home location..
www.eastcoastflightcraft.com Ask for TUNA in Norwalk or Dan in Middleton they can show you or ride you in both Fountain or Formula
Not a Sales pich I have owned 4 35s loved them all!!!

Last edited by blownincome; 04-18-2009 at 06:38 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:48 PM
Registered

I see you are looking for 10+ year old boat. One thing to consider is that a Formula fastech is bulit with no wood except for the very rear of the transon. Something to think about....Jeff
Old 04-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Registered

I've had 3 FOUNTAINS, and loved everyone of them. No rattles, or things coming loose after a hard days running. I watch the Baja peeps retighten things after being out on the water, and I never have to.
I've been in a few Formulas, nice boats, but same thing, hit a wave, and the dash comes loose, rattles, etc...
I think if you move to a FOUNTAIN, you'll never regret it. They are very fun to drive, and handle like a dream.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.