Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Experienced Foutain guys - Your advice please! >

Experienced Foutain guys - Your advice please!

Notices

Experienced Foutain guys - Your advice please!

Old 05-19-2009, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good information... The only big difference in cost compared to your open bow is insurance. The performance boats cost much more to insure. Unless you want big power (blower motors, etc.) the maintenance will be similar. Even fuel consumption will be similar.
I would recommend checking the tow rating for your truck and stay within that limit for safety and legal reasons then plan to get the largest boat you can. Maintenance, insurance, depreciation, etc. will be similar from 27 to about 35 if you get a good used boat that has been well maintained.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by dhenry123
Budget to run and maintain the boat each year is 20K. Will not sleep in it overnight. Trailer time is 10 minutes. I have the rig already - dodge ram quad cab 2500 diesel 4x4. Primarily fresh lake water (lake cumberland, dale hollow, etc) and maybe in a few years some brackish water (ICW intercoastal waterway). Plan to entertain 4-5 people, no waterskiing etc, just use it to boat and swim.

I have 10+ years of experience with a 24 foot open bow.
$20K a year is more than enough to maintain and operate a stock twin engine Fountain - barring disaster. Therefore, I would recommend that you go for a 35. The 35 is so much more boat then the 32 and 29's. In this economic environment you might be surprised at what $60K cash will buy. If you can't find a great deal on a 35 this season, save your money and you should have more to spend next season, and boat prices will likely take another hit over the winter.

I went down to my Marina for the first time this season and my gawd, the people who NEED to sell their boats have SLASHED their prices to move them. And still no one will buy them. . There are deals to be had out there if you beat the bushes.

Patience pays. Go for a 35.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd be cautious with high performance engines and go with stock -not too high maintenance power. Like the others said if you run rough seas get a larger size but if not, a 29 would be a nice start. Survey it ,watch out for rotten stringers/water damaged hulls,and check engine compression.There are boats out there with hidden problems which can break the budget in a heartbeat. -Been there! Good luck.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:24 PM
Registered

Good to see you have your annual budget realistic.

Personally, I'll never again own a side-by-side twin. Staggered twin, single, or outboards for me.

It's just too much of a pain to do stuff you need to do. Look at a twin, and see what is involved in removing a valve cover, or an exhaust manifold, or a starter on the port engine, or get at the bilge pumps, or...

Staggered, no problem. Single, no problem. Outboards, no problem.

Also, EFI costs more to own than carbs, in my experience. Nobody does a decent job of debugging them when they go wrong. I've spent a lot of time with the diagnostic software, and I can see why: lots of numbers, no information. Basically, the computer takes information from all sensors, then changes everything it can, every time. So any flakey sensor or any flakey actuator (throttle, fuel, ignition) leads to engine problems. You just can't isolate the problems without spending huge $$$. With a carb, its pretty darn easy for anyone to figure out what's wrong and fix it.

It will just consume an extra, I dunno, $10K per year on the side-by-side over the staggered.

Also, EFI costs more to own than carbs, in my experience. Nobody does a decent job of debugging them when they go wrong. I've spent a lot of time with the diagnostic software, and I can see why: lots of numbers, no information. Basically, the computer takes information from all sensors, then changes everything it can, every time. So any flakey sensor or any flakey actuator (throttle, fuel, ignition) leads to engine problems. You just can't isolate the problems without spending huge $$$. With a carb, its pretty darn easy for anyone to figure out what's wrong and fix it.

So I'd look for a 42 someone really wants to sell because they never used it and don't want to pay another $6K insurance bill yet again.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Registered

You should be able to find a 38 Fever with 500hp's for that price. It is a very stable and forgiving boat.
Old 05-20-2009, 09:18 AM
Registered

Thanks everyone for your replies. From everyones replies so far it seems as if one with my situation should go with a single 29 now or a double 42 this winter. Decisions, decisions...

Any other thoughts from anyone?
Old 05-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by dhenry123
Thanks everyone for your replies. From everyones replies so far it seems as if one with my situation should go with a single 29 now or a double 42 this winter. Decisions, decisions...

Any other thoughts from anyone?
The 35 and 38 side by sides are great boats. I've owened three power pants in them and have yet to have an issue with the side by side configuration. Your chances of finding a reliable 42 in that price range are pretty slim IMO, and for where you are boating who wants to drag a moose 42 around.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought my first Fountain at 26 and have never regretted it. I knew I was going to be boating for the rest of my life... so I bought something to LAST. Graduated from a single engine Scarab and was the best switch..... It might be a little daunting with twins at first but you will catch on quickly or least hope so. ( dock rash sucks ) All the other comments in this thread speak the truth, buy the longest boat you can for the money, getting a great ride out of your boat is the one thing to look for. If your not comfortable in your ride, then its not going to be enjoyable. Good luck with the search,
Old 05-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Registered

The best advice I got was buy for 5 years from now. I thought I had, now with number 3 on the way, I will need to go bigger. I got into a 27' single three years ago and have loved it. Ride is great. My next one will be a 35 though. The Great Lakes can get rough and a Fountain can handle it but yet still small enough to do Inland Waterway and tow around if you go other places.
Old 05-20-2009, 03:21 PM
Registered

There is no substitute for length(size), weight, and HP. You will always want more. Name of the game. Fountains are the best in ride, speed, and value. You get a lot for your money. My buddy has a 35 EX and he loves it. Big enough to run in fairly rough water, yet not too bad on fuel and towing. Will work on a small lake or big. If you run on Lake Erie you will need a quality ride. Great boat with 496 mag ho's or like his with 525's. Don't be afraid of twins. They just take some getting used to around the dock and then you will love them. Good luck and enjoy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.