Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Experienced Foutain guys - Your advice please! >

Experienced Foutain guys - Your advice please!

Notices

Experienced Foutain guys - Your advice please!

Old 05-26-2009, 07:51 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Staggard engines take up cockpit space, but give you more speed/weight distribution, better planing. Side by sides give you a larger cockpit, but slightly less speed and more weight in the stern= harder to plane. You always have to compromise unless $ are no problem. Buy what you want and are comfortable with.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:05 PM
Registered

Smile

Originally Posted by BowenCT
Surprised no one chose to touch on this. 27 Fountain, not a chance. 29 Fountain, not a chance. 35 Fountain, boarderline. In fact, I don't know of any closed bow, go-fast style boats that are going to accomodate 5-6 people very well. Just the nature of the beast. Fountains however, probably have the tiniest cockpits (and cabins) out of any go-fast manufacturer. They are a dynamite boat; run fast on modest power, handle well, built well, look great, solid resale......but very small.

Have you actually ever been in a Fountain? The reason I ask is because I lusted over Fountains for years. Last year I decided to start looking for a go-fast (had inboard ski boats for years, wanted to hit the other end of the spectrum) and wanted a Fountain. I had never been in one other than at a boat show. I thought I had found 'the one', drove 5hrs. one way to look at it. Within 2 mins. I realized it wasn't the boat for me. Cockpit WAY to small. The seller asked, "don't you want to take it for a ride?", no thanks. I was sick, I really wanted a Fountain. Are you a big guy....or tall? This miniture layout will be amplified.

Not dissing on Fountains one bit. If there is one piece of advice I could give a potential first time boat buyer; do not shop with tunnel vision and there is a much less likely chance of you being unhappy down the road.

Use this forum, ask questions, and be open minded. Good luck!
I agree. I had wanted a Fountain for years but when I looked at the dealership, I couldn't believe how small the insides were. I wound up getting a 47 Sport Cruiser which, in my opinion, is the best of both worlds. Lightning hull and much taller deck (and cabin).
It is, however, a lot of boat to trail
Old 05-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

.................... ........................

Lets get back to the program here guys. This man started out looking for some input on a Fountain he could buy somewhere around 50 - 60 thousand. Not a 500 - 600 thou 48 Sport Cruiser.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know east coast flightcraft has 2 nice 35 s in that price range 2000 w/500 efis and a 02 w/496s
Old 05-27-2009, 07:19 AM
Registered

Size:
I looked at a 27, a 29 and a 32 this past weekend. It appears the 27 has the smallest cockpit, and the 29 has a larger cockpit if not the same cockpit size as the 32.

Insurance:
Quoted me just under a grand/year. Not as bad as I thought.

Next step:
I need to check out a 35 to see the difference in cockpit space from the 29, but I doubt I will be able to find a decent 35 in my price range. Maybe someone has cockpit dimensions laid out somewhere already?

In the meanwhile if anyone has a nice reliable 29 or a 35 available from 50-60K - post links here!

I am still looking for additional input and thank everyone so far for their honest opinions and assistance!
Old 05-27-2009, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BowenCT
Surprised no one chose to touch on this. 27 Fountain, not a chance. 29 Fountain, not a chance. 35 Fountain, boarderline. In fact, I don't know of any closed bow, go-fast style boats that are going to accomodate 5-6 people very well. Just the nature of the beast. Fountains however, probably have the tiniest cockpits (and cabins) out of any go-fast manufacturer. They are a dynamite boat; run fast on modest power, handle well, built well, look great, solid resale......but very small.

Have you actually ever been in a Fountain? The reason I ask is because I lusted over Fountains for years. Last year I decided to start looking for a go-fast (had inboard ski boats for years, wanted to hit the other end of the spectrum) and wanted a Fountain. I had never been in one other than at a boat show. I thought I had found 'the one', drove 5hrs. one way to look at it. Within 2 mins. I realized it wasn't the boat for me. Cockpit WAY to small. The seller asked, "don't you want to take it for a ride?", no thanks. I was sick, I really wanted a Fountain. Are you a big guy....or tall? This miniture layout will be amplified.

Not dissing on Fountains one bit. If there is one piece of advice I could give a potential first time boat buyer; do not shop with tunnel vision and there is a much less likely chance of you being unhappy down the road.

Use this forum, ask questions, and be open minded. Good luck!
Funny how everyone has different opinions. To me the cockpits in the single engine 29 Fountains and the side by side 35s are plenty big enough to carry six people total. Up until 2007 the cockpit in the 35s was actually pretty big. Bigger than my 29 Baja and I bring 5 people with me all the time and never feel cramped.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jmeng
Funny how everyone has different opinions. To me the cockpits in the single engine 29 Fountains and the side by side 35s are plenty big enough to carry six people total. Up until 2007 the cockpit in the 35s was actually pretty big. Bigger than my 29 Baja and I bring 5 people with me all the time and never feel cramped.
Your people are smaller!

Way I see it is if my 5 friends want to come, they can be cramped, I won't be.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rlj676

Way I see it is if my 5 friends want to come, they can be cramped, I won't be.

I've said that many times and some look at me like I'm from Mars. Truth is perf boats are like sports cars, you buy them for you and your driving pleasure, not to take the neighborhood on a siteseeing trip.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
I've said that many times and some look at me like I'm from Mars. Truth is perf boats are like sports cars, you buy them for you and your driving pleasure, not to take the neighborhood on a siteseeing trip.
Hmmmm, that must explain why I just bought an 08 vette for my daily driver.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:27 PM
Registered

Cool

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Very good point!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.