I need help with an exhaust question

Notices

I need help with an exhaust question

Old 06-18-2009, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help with an exhaust question

Hi,
I purchased my first boat last year as a project and it is about to be done. It is a 89 10meter lightning. The boat has TRS drives and the exhaust tips come out of the transom above the rub rail. The boat has 454's that I have had rebuilt, nothing crazy, just a strong running motor.....hopefully. There is a little larger cam in them with a 4-7 swap to help with reversion because I was originally going to run the stock GM intakes and Steel exhaust manifolds with a 6 inch riser.

I am going to leave the stock intakes just because of $$ but I picked up a set up GILLs for both motors.

My question is what do I have to do to make the gills work on my motors and make the exhaust come out above the rub rail??? Do they make adapter pipes for these or something?

I appreciate any help or insight that you guys can provide to me as I am 25yrs old, this is my first boat, and the first time that I have ever worked on any types of motors in this detail.

I CAN NOT WAIT UNTIL IT IS DONE! lol

Regards,
Justin

Last edited by TheDG; 06-18-2009 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a few pics of mine, I bought the boat like this thou. I went from the stock aluminum logs, Gil, to the CMIs. Had to send dimensions to CMI to have them angled correctly and have the correct rise for the outlet above the taco rail. I have had no problems with reversion or water entering the boat. Let me know if these help and Ill be around the boat this week if you need any other help. Let me know if you have any other questions before tomorrow at noon Central Time. ( this is also a 10 Meter )
Attached Thumbnails I need help with an exhaust question-port-engine.jpg   I need help with an exhaust question-770586-r1-17-18a.jpg  
Old 06-18-2009, 01:25 PM
Registered

Just remembered when i removed the Gils, there were spacer blocks to raise the exhaust to the elbow. Just a machined block of aluminum to match the Gil exhaust ports, I dont have a picture of those unfortunetly.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:36 PM
Registered

Default spacer blocks

Thanks buddy, This makes sense. I am thinking that if I can find someone that has spacer blocks that connect the tubes to the Gill manifolds, I could make something similar to them that would act as a 6,7,or even a 8inch riser and keep the water and exhaust separated. If I can get the riser high enough and be shaped like these blocks to keep the water separate from the exhaust I could then just use the normal tubes and run rubber tubes the short distance to the back of the boat.

I am definately going to have to manufacture some sort of riser though to keep the tubes high enough.

Make sense?
Old 06-18-2009, 02:02 PM
Registered

That sounds like a winner, the blocks would certainly be the cheapest and easiest way to go. I remember having a good gasket material between the block and riser ( mr. gasket or so ) I bought the bulk sheet, so I could cut the gasket to any size I needed. You can take a look at some other pictures of my boat on boatcrazy. com, if you want. for sale 35500, Shannon G
Old 06-22-2009, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have the engines in the boat already and have a problem or are you anticipating a problem that you may not even have? the engines sit pretty high in that boat and might not be as far off as you are thinking. have seen many older fountains with GIL and they exit just fine.
Old 06-22-2009, 10:22 PM
Registered

I do not have the motors in the boat yet. I would be freaking out and loving life if the gills worked with out any modifications but........my luck, they wont.

I was told that the tail pipes are bent to much to work. I will find out when I put them in the boat but I figured that someone else may have already run into the same problem in the past and may have some suggestions for me.

I would like to find someone that would make me some nice exhaust pipes, for a good price. They would just have to have a flange that would bolt on the gill, a 6 inch riser to a 90 degree elbow and straight pipe all the way back. The same thing on the inside to keep the water jacket and the exhaust separate until close to the end of the system. I would prob just get them powder coated white..............any one feel like making pipes??? lol