Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
1998 fountain 32 twin 502 , should I >

1998 fountain 32 twin 502 , should I

Notices

1998 fountain 32 twin 502 , should I

Old 06-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

No strainer on my 32, not an easy install with the motors in. I am like most people here, just change the impellers every spring. If I move to FL I will add them, with some sand strainers.

As for leaving it in the water and sinking? Don't understand that unless you tie it up transom out to big water. Every time we use ours it is in for the weekend in the water, the pumps are auto and run every couple of hours. No big deal.

Fun boat, to bad no head.
Old 06-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There isn't a marina on Lake Tahoe that will let you leave a 32 on a buoy overnight, that is one of the most common sinkers on the lake. We salvaged two 32's and one 35 last year alone that where on private buoys on the lake. I never see them go down here in the Bay Area but then again nobody leaves them on the water, their all on hoists or trailers.

The problem is that they sit low at the transom. When the water gets big at night the boat will buck on the buoy and dip the transom past the vents. The pumps will keep up for a while but not all night as the water distibutes in the hull and never makes it to the pumps. Ones the stern gets low and the water line gets close to the vents it's anly a matter of time. I've seen a number of them with the float switches tied into the master switch. When that gets turned off so do your pumps.

As far as the strainers not being standard.... I've seen a couple of Fountains in my day and I've never seen one without strainers, but ok. With the debris and growth in the Delta waters here it would be a problem to run without strainers.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:22 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

My 32 doesn't get a single drop of water in the bilge all summer. None. I did have to reseal the rub rail at the rear when I first bought it that was leaking. Appears this is a common area to leak on the 32's do to the way they sit and lack of adequate sealing.

My bilge pump would cycle every 1/2 hr or so before I resealed the rubrail, and any water inside is not acceptable for me and was the 1st issue fixed. It's an easy fix and will ease your mind from being 1 of the 1000's of sinking 32's. Mines been left in the water for 3 days, floated on LC during the start of the poker runs (for reference of how rough the water is) and I am not the least worried. Just as dry as the 100' houseboats.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 07-01-2009 at 10:16 AM. Reason: info
Old 06-30-2009, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!

I think that's a great price on a great boat (pics please).

Here's a link to help with your impeller project (I'm getting ready to do mine this week too.)

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-impellor.html
Old 07-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Registered

thanks for the help link

I am going outside to pull the pumps out this morning , and check them , i have bought two new ones . I am going to put these in , and if the older ones are still useable , keep them as spares.
WIsh me luck !!
I hope to post back in a couple of hours!!!

Can anyone give me a how to on posting pix?
Old 07-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Below the reply box, click 'manage attachments' then hit one of the 5 'browse' boxes, then find the pic on your computer you want to post and click it. Then 'upload' and finally submit.

Not sure if you need to be a paying member to do this though.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:45 PM
Registered

26 gallons per hour means you were generating about 260 HP: gas engines generally make 10 HP per gallon per hour. So that number is pretty normal for just cruising around.

In the ocean, where I need to use a lot of tabs for that Cadillac ride, I get about 1 mpg regardless of the speed, so when I'm flat out, I'm burning 70 gallons per hour, and cruising at 20, burning 20 gph.

In smooth water such as lakes, I get about 1.4 to 1.5 mpg because I lift the tabs up.

My boat has a lower top end because of the extra windage of the T-top and cabin, and because it weighs about a ton more than your boat. But HP is HP, and HP burns gas.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Registered

Got both pumps changed out late friday night , and it was a PITA , but nonetheless got it done . I probaly should have tried backflushing them while i had em out ,but didnt think about it at the time. Also just before i got the boat it was supposedly done already.
GOt up early saturday morning took the family out and couple of friends on about a 30 min trek to a local small island for a day of the "4th" festivities. Had a great time other than having to talk and answer questions nonstop about the boat. I couldnt believe the amount of people coming up to it.
Boat seems to pull strong and i am very happy with it .
I am getting high water pressure on the port engine , but also higher water and oil temperature on that one as well.
Im thinking i have an obstruction somewhere.... help?
Old 07-06-2009, 10:51 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by convincor253
I just sold my 1998 32' Fever w/502/415 engines. Great boat! I owned it for four years and loved it. It was one sweet hot rod. If you can buy that boat for $42K you should jump on it quick. That is way below the low market price. You will not be sorry.
I just bought convincor253 32', we love it! We did Hawkeye Boat sales poker run 2 weeks ago & loto last weekend. The boat ran great. Buying it from someone that took great care of her made it easy. Thanks Danny!!