Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
38' Sport Cruiser ? >

38' Sport Cruiser ?

Notices

38' Sport Cruiser ?

Old 06-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The 38 SC is a nice combo of comfort and performance1991-2003.Its a Fountain with dimensions like a Sonic. Many SCs have generators and AC. My 97 has back to back bolster seats plus a rear bench for extra seating which is not found before 97 . The cabin is bumped out/no gunnels to create more interior room.The new EC model is not as performance oriented with wider beam and tall railings but nicer interior accomodations and a much bigger price tag.
Old 06-29-2009, 11:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by t500hps
the boat is an hour away from me and the owner lives 2 hours away from where the boat is.......my family has a house on the water near his and we occasionally end up in the same area at the same time. I was on the boat last summer and it was as you describe, good shape but could use a little updating. Whatever Dean tells you, you can count on it being accurate.
With that being said, I would look it over if I can coordinate schedules with the seller for nothing more than a thank you. I do have a P.R in 2 weeks so I'm not sure when I will be down there again. I seem to remember being able to stand up just in the entrance to the cabin then it getting lower moving forward (I'm 6 ft). Deep cockpit, it is an old lightning hull with a raised top deck.

I talked with Dean tonight and it sounds like he is still selling it but would not be able to show it for a couple weeks. If you were able to look at it for me that would be fantastic. I will be in contact with you if thats OK whenever he gets back to me.

Thanks
Old 06-30-2009, 12:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nichols92
Sounds as though you are very up on the SC's. Is it a good idea to stay away from the 91's? How much does the step help with performance? I do like speed but would give some up for the added cabin space.
I would not stay away from the 91 for several reasons: 1) The boat has already seen most of its depreciation, so you should be able to get it at a relatively low price. 2)At the speeds these usually run (60's-70's) the steps don't make a big difference. 3) With this age boat, maintenance throughout its life is going to be the biggest issue and it sounds like this one has been well maintained; however, this is VERY important because it will be painful puring money into an older boat if you have been mislead on its condition (especially mechanical).
Old 07-13-2009, 12:06 PM
Registered

As stated, the small steps started in 95. From what I read, having the non-step gives it a little safer ride, more predictable handling. Also, an average of around 2-3 MPH faster with the steps.

I have a 92, loaded out with everything they could come with (and more). Would be willing to entertain an offer, overall condition is GOOD, standard bruises and small scrapes associated with the age.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:08 PM
Registered

Plus, like someone already stated, these boats listed for around $187,000 back in the day. At a literal fraction of that today, they are a good way to get into a wave crusher that can still cruise in the 40's and provide some comfort when you get where you are going.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:55 PM
Registered

When did they start offering the walk-thru transom on the 38? Was it 2002?
Old 07-15-2009, 06:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 32storm
When did they start offering the walk-thru transom on the 38? Was it 2002?
Same year they stopped making the SC and started producing the EC.

If it has a walk through, it is a totally different boat than the "Sport" Cruisers.