Notices

Batteries

Old 08-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries

I had dual purpose blue top optima marine batteries, but after just over a year they crapped out and wont take a charge. I have purchased optimas over the years but now I find out they have no real warranty. Turns out the dual purpose marine batteries are not really suited to be repeatedly used and recharged like a true deep cycle. I'm going back to the series 27 Marine Deep Cycle (Interstate Battery--same company that owns Optima).
Does anyone know if you can get 'Fountain' billet battery boxes for these larger batteries? Fountain, as usual, has not returned my calls.
Old 08-24-2009, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am sure you can. if not there are many other suppiers with a cnc machine to engrave the new trays for you.
just a note, you may have better luck with parts , phone calls and the like if your posts mayvbe didnt have so much negativity to them. just my opinion, and thats with all due respect i may add.
good luck in your search.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Blue tops in there 4th season, no problems. Always plugged into shore power when at home on trailer and Pro Marine charger continues to keep them topped off 24/7.

Replaced Deep Cycles every yr before switching over.

I have heard others are not getting good results.

Pro Marine charger was new 4 yrs ago and I was told if hooked up right, this charger would maintain these batteries well.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:30 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pookie
I had dual purpose blue top optima marine batteries, but after just over a year they crapped out and wont take a charge. I have purchased optimas over the years but now I find out they have no real warranty. Turns out the dual purpose marine batteries are not really suited to be repeatedly used and recharged like a true deep cycle. I'm going back to the series 27 Marine Deep Cycle (Interstate Battery--same company that owns Optima).
Does anyone know if you can get 'Fountain' billet battery boxes for these larger batteries? Fountain, as usual, has not returned my calls.
I've been using a dual purpose battery last couple of yrs. for my house and starting battery. When it goes bad altogether, it's going. They are a compromise, and do so poorly.

US1's machine shop.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 07:25 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people have good luck with Optima's, IMO, they are overpriced for what they are. Ill take a set of Interstate deep cycle, and replace them yearly, have used some as much as 3years before any sign of weakness. I dont have a big audio system drawing them down just the Fountain system, so for that application they may provide an advantage. Consumer reports did a comparison on batterys, and didnt rate the Optima very high.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by monstaaa
i am sure you can. if not there are many other suppiers with a cnc machine to engrave the new trays for you.
just a note, you may have better luck with parts , phone calls and the like if your posts mayvbe didnt have so much negativity to them. just my opinion, and thats with all due respect i may add.
good luck in your search.
My phone calls have never had any negativity. I have simply left messages requesting information and never gotten any.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:01 PM
Warped & Twisted Member
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pookie
I had similar results with the Blue Tops in the boat, and about the same results with their Red Top in my seldom driven tuner car. Switched to deep cycles in both vehicles and have been fine for 2 and a half years in both.

Did you check Eddie Marine for the boxes ?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Registered

Have had very good luck with these...cheap also, can find at any West Marine.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...tial/0/0?N=377

Click on the video....some good info.

Last edited by Back4More; 08-26-2009 at 08:11 PM.