Fuel Fill woes >

Fuel Fill woes

Notices

Fuel Fill woes

Old 10-05-2009, 04:54 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel Fill woes

I have an issue with my 1991 32 Fever that is very fustrating. Im hoping some one here has had and fixed or could point me in the right direction to fix. Every time I fill the fuel tank fuel blows out the fill and the vent like a pressurized can. Even if I go as slow as possible,stop and let it sit a minute then fill,even after it explodes if I put just a little more it explodes all over the boat and trailer. I made sure the vent was clear,no kinks in the filler tube. But I cant see where they go under the floor.Is there access to where they hook to the tank? Is there some kind of trick to filling?

Thanks Nordic95
Old 10-05-2009, 10:41 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really does sound as a clogged vent line. Any way to pull it off and check to see if it is restricted in some way. Chase it out with a piece of wire? If you pull your side speakers you would have pretty good access, along with the side storage. Short of that any other ideas, anyone?
Old 10-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

My 1997 35' Lightning has liked to splash back since day one. I fill it slow, and stop when I think it is close to full. Someone with really good hearing can detect when to stop filling.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

get your air compressor, blow air back into the tank, leave fill cap off, hope it helps.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 1,310 Likes on 731 Posts

Mine does the same thing. In one of the boat mags I seen a device that you put into the vent that was basically a whistle.

Lets you know when you get close, but I forgot the mag and can't find it anywhere.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:22 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Sounds to me like it is doing it thru the whole fill cycle. Not just when coming close to full? Correct me. Have zero fill issues with mine from empty to full? Luck by the way it sounds.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:05 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My 32 does the same thing. As mentioned before, a good ear is your best defense. I cut a hole in the top side of a 20oz plastic pop bottle and hold it over the vent when it sounds like it's getting full. Any wet gas fumes or overflow when full are caught in the bottle, then I just pour it back in. Never another issue then. Always pizzed me off to wax the boat, only to have the gas take it off, not counting the work it takes to get a white rub rail clean!

You can see where the fill and vent hose goes to the tank with use of a mirror held thru the front passenger side storage compartment. They are both at the topside and front of the tank. Not sure I'd risk undoing the hoses though if you could, for fear of never getting them back on. Those buggers are cut to length for an exact fit, then shortened 1" I think the vent tube must extend below the fuel level, creating an air block once the fuel level gets to a point. Mines worst when on the trailer and the tank is more level.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:28 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,185 Likes on 515 Posts

It probably has to do with how your boat sits on the trailer, assuming you are talking about on-trailer fueling. Remember, the vents and tank and everything are set up for no air pocket, vents, and pick-ups when the boat is at rest in the water. Chances are your boat is nose down from this position when it's sitting on the trailer, creating an air pocket. which is pushing fuel out the vent when the pocket gets compressed.

1) Fuel (even) slower when you are nearing what you think is a full tank.
2) See below.

Pick up one of these and the spray/splash problem will be contained.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...8&merchID=1009

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-05-2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Registered

I absoultely HAVE to hold the pump handle in the upside down direction in order to avoid getting doused with gas. It's not that it "sometimes sloshes back" or maybe will do it, it does it 100% of the time unless I pump with the handle upside down.

I can fill up (on the trailer) without spilling a single drop now that I figured it out.

Might be worth a try.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It only splashes when full to the top and on the trailer and in the water.Its weird cause its not just a splash it is literally a pressurized spray back out of the vent and the filler hole. Sometimes can shoot a foot or two away from boat and all down side of boat and trailer.Then the gas station guy looks at me like im an a-hole and he could have done better. I also have one of those whistle things sitting on my bench but I need to mount it as close to tank as possible. Maybe a winter project to install it and see if it works.I was hoping for a quick fix..

Thanks Anthony

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.