Throwing blades >

Throwing blades

Notices

Throwing blades

Old 11-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throwing blades

I have a '07 lightning with 600's ITS and sportmaster shorties X dimension is 22 1/2". I have throne now 6 blades (3 hering, 2 Throttle Up, and 1 Hydro). I know they made other boats with this setup are you able to keep the blades together? I ran a straight edge off the bottom of the boat back to the drive and it comes to the bottom of the can on the props. So this is telling me that this setup has the blades surfacing. I'm thinking of installing Imco's SCX drives with the #6 shaft so I can run a surfacing prop. Has anybody tried this or has input on this setup? Thanks in advance for any help
Old 11-09-2009, 09:36 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had a 38/600 with XR's never lost any blades. Ran 5 blade Maximus props. The Bravo style Herings are fast, but know to have problems throwing blades, because they are so thin. When they lab props they thin them. Thin is fast, but also less reliable. Yes your props are surfacing, or at least running in very aireated water. Talk to Brett a BBlades. We now have a 38/700 boat with 6's. Now problems know. I worried more about braking drives in the XR boat than hurting props. Lost a drive at 40 hrs. Never had any issue with props though.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
We had a 38/600 with XR's never lost any blades. Ran 5 blade Maximus props. The Bravo style Herings are fast, but know to have problems throwing blades, because they are so thin. When they lab props they thin them. Thin is fast, but also less reliable. Yes your props are surfacing, or at least running in very aireated water. Talk to Brett a BBlades. We now have a 38/700 boat with 6's. Now problems know. I worried more about braking drives in the XR boat than hurting props. Lost a drive at 40 hrs. Never had any issue with props though.

What size Maximus did you run? Was there a big lost of speed over the Herings?
The drives are a issue to. Lost 3 already the boat has 180 hours running but over 100 of them are below 1500 rpms.

Last edited by mudslide; 11-09-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 68 Likes on 32 Posts

Your drive problems could be a direct result of your blade issues.....the vibration when you throw a blade can damage a drive even if it you get out of it immediately....sometimes the results of the damage does not show up until later
Old 11-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bullhead
Your drive problems could be a direct result of your blade issues.....the vibration when you throw a blade can damage a drive even if it you get out of it immediately....sometimes the results of the damage does not show up until later
The drive issues were all in the uppers first the cone clutch and the gears were showing wear, next the shifting fork had a little piece of metal look like it was spot welded came loose and jacked the cover up. At this time the gear set was showing wear again. Replaced with a new upper and cleaned out the bottom. Lost another prop within 5 hrs after that I don't think the drives are getting hurt. The boat runs smooth after each time it happens.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

How do you get 100 hrs at less than 1500 rpm? You must do a lot of idling. I can only assume that you didnt have any of these problems under 1500 rpm did you? So you have had all these drive and prop issues in 80 hrs??? We ran 32 pitch Maximus. They were not labbed. The boat was no rocket it ran 93, their were 525 boats running the same or faster. It was a nice reliable boat. Never ran Herings on it but some 38's were set up with them and were supposed to be 5 mph faster.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
How do you get 100 hrs at less than 1500 rpm? You must do a lot of idling. I can only assume that you didnt have any of these problems under 1500 rpm did you? So you have had all these drive and prop issues in 80 hrs??? We ran 32 pitch Maximus. They were not labbed. The boat was no rocket it ran 93, their were 525 boats running the same or faster. It was a nice reliable boat. Never ran Herings on it but some 38's were set up with them and were supposed to be 5 mph faster.
We have done are share of poker runs were you do a lot of idling. Also when you break I had 3 to 4 hrs of getting back. They never break next to the dock. I might have to try a set of Maximus for now the other ones don't work. With 32 Herings 6 blade I did hit 103.3 4 people no fuel.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:57 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Talk to Brett at BBlades, he is an advertiser on the board, he can tune them and maybe recomend something that he can do that wont make them too thin. He probably will want you to run them first stock to get a base line before he does anything. Have your 600's been boosted up from Dustin, or are they stock? We run 37 pitch 6 blade Herings on our 38, never had an issue with them tossing blades. The Six drive props from Hering are alot more reliable. Good luck
Old 11-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Registered

Are you seeing any sign of boiling or burning on the blades after you run?
Old 11-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Registered

The motors are still stock would like to have Dustin turn them up. But will need a stronger drive then the stock xr. Looking at Imco SCX

I don't see any sign of burning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.