Notices

coolant

Old 11-14-2009, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default coolant

I was going to change the coolant in my 496ho and my buddy who is a mech. thought i would be better off running toyota coolant vs. dex-cool . he says he sees a lot of corrosion with gm cars running the dex cool . any thought ?
Old 11-16-2009, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was curious abot this too.Not only Toyota coolant but also Honda/Acura coolant since they would have to be really corosion proof with all alluminim blocks and cylinder heads. But I have heard that the 496 is pretty touchy for some reason when it comes to coolant? Maybe someone could answer this better but I would just keep it Merc coolant.
Old 11-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Registered

he also stated the honda/acura coolant was better than dex-cool . the toyota coolant is the same color as dex cool , the honda is a green/blue color ..
Old 11-22-2009, 02:40 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by smokediver
he also stated the honda/acura coolant was better than dex-cool . the toyota coolant is the same color as dex cool , the honda is a green/blue color ..
Yep strait blue color. But seriously I wouldnt swap fluids over like that without some major knowhow/research on the different glycol percentages and such.Just my .02
Old 11-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Registered

Default rong

I am a master auto teck The GM cars hade a problem 10 years ago ITwas the frist time it was tried IT was a chemical mackup problem LOOK up antifreeze on all data all 100000 k antifreeze has thesame chemical makeup Theyjustadd diffrent coler PS sarry about my speling
Old 11-23-2009, 09:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by acaruso
I am a master auto teck The GM cars hade a problem 10 years ago ITwas the frist time it was tried IT was a chemical mackup problem LOOK up antifreeze on all data all 100000 k antifreeze has thesame chemical makeup Theyjustadd diffrent coler PS sarry about my speling
here is a little .. not sure of your post , lol however , they are all not the same !http://www.sancarlosradiator.com/dex-cool.htm
Old 11-23-2009, 10:02 AM
Registered

I haven't found any other coolant lawsuit ... except ....
http://www.dexcoolsettlement.com/
Old 11-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Registered

keep pushing the pencal it was 10 years ago
Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 PM
Registered

My gm dealership techs tell me to change dex cool in my duamax very often because it sucks. I am a master toyota tech (and I can spell ) and I know the toyota stuff is waaaaaay better than dex. I dont know about putting it gm based boats though???I would think it would work though.
Old 11-29-2009, 12:18 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by acaruso
Just a heads up if you look to "all data" for advice you better get a new career (because they suck at the flat labor rates and everything else) but that in its-self is a whole other story.To the OP if you try other makes coolant please let us (or me) know I think it would be resourceful to you and alot of others how it reacts to marine applications.I think i might try honda coolant after really looking at the specs of all the different makes of coolant.....