35 Lightning with twin 500 EFI's >

35 Lightning with twin 500 EFI's

Notices

35 Lightning with twin 500 EFI's

Old 12-22-2009, 10:52 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had an '01 35 with the 500 efi package and a Myco trailer with elec over hyd brakes very much like the boat you are looking at. It was a great boat and the only thing that made me want to get rid of it was 3-itis... wanted to go bigger and get faster! You will love the left hand throttle if you are right handed. It took me about 15 min to say.. "why doesn't everybody do this?" The 500 efi's are bullet proof and you won't have any problems there if they have been maintained. Mine have had blowers now for two seasons and it honestly gets ran pretty strong both by me and by it's current owner and it has ran for one season stock and two with SC's and no problems... other than a few broken drives from all the power! All the haters make fun of Reggie and Fountain but they are the fastest, safest, best handling boats on the water!
Old 12-26-2009, 07:32 PM
Registered

I can tell you first hand I had a 26 scarab and went to a 35 lightning
that was a big step up you will love moving up it is like daylite and dark
35 has a vaccum flush toilet
one of the best moves up u can make
I agree with Allen
Old 12-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Registered

I had a 271 Formula and just purchased a 35 Lightning with 500's not too long ago and have only had it out a few of times. I do a lot of boating on Pickwick Lake and the few times I took it out, the difference is unbelievable. It's fast, it rides like a cadillac, and the bow just never ends (compared to my 27') I could only imagine what a 42 or 47 would be like. The left hand throttles dont bother me, it's just getting both drives, and tabs just right and getting the RPM's to match up.. It is definitely alot more to it, but since your just moving up from another, you will have no trouble. I have an 08 F250 Diesel and that 35 is all it wants!!, the trailer is steel and not alum. But it will pull it.. If I was going to a 42, I would definitley not pull it with a 250.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TubzzFormula 271
I had a 271 Formula and just purchased a 35 Lightning with 500's ..... It's fast, it rides like a cadillac.

Kinda' like going from a Kia to a Ferrari!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
No more like from a Go kart on steroids to a porsch
Old 12-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Originally Posted by TubzzFormula 271
I had a 271 Formula and just purchased a 35 Lightning with 500's not too long ago and have only had it out a few of times. I do a lot of boating on Pickwick Lake and the few times I took it out, the difference is unbelievable. It's fast, it rides like a cadillac, and the bow just never ends (compared to my 27') I could only imagine what a 42 or 47 would be like. The left hand throttles dont bother me, it's just getting both drives, and tabs just right and getting the RPM's to match up.. It is definitely alot more to it, but since your just moving up from another, you will have no trouble. I have an 08 F250 Diesel and that 35 is all it wants!!, the trailer is steel and not alum. But it will pull it.. If I was going to a 42, I would definitley not pull it with a 250.
When we went to a 42 my insurance Co. Would not cover the new 700sci
world wide marine found me a new carrier
they sent me a letter and said if we had a accident & were towing with a
auto that was not rated for the 15000 to 16000 lbs they would not cover
so to be sure we went with f450
Old 01-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Registered

Left side throttles/shifters are very nice, no problem to get used to, and it allows you to let someone else drive while you do the throttles. I would NEVER let someone drive my boat with right hand throttles!

I think staggered engines are a big improvement for doing anything in the engine compartment.

Twins are definitely twice the cost. TWICE the cost. I wish I had kept my smaller boat when I bought my Fountain, I would have used it a lot this past year.

The trailer is important. I strongly suggest electric-over-hydraulic brakes with stainless discs and calipers. Then your truck should be no problem. Surge brakes are to be avoided at anything near this weight.

The length of the tow isn't much of an issue, you'll get used to it right away.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:49 PM

Very nice ,you'll be happy you did