shorties on a 2001 35' lightening with 500EFI's >

shorties on a 2001 35' lightening with 500EFI's

Notices

shorties on a 2001 35' lightening with 500EFI's

Old 01-30-2010, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Ragged,
To get that last few mph you are looking for you will need to deal with the lower unit. I was having blow-out issues above 90 with stock lower unit.
Added EMI nosecones to stock lowers, went to Merc Labbed 32 Maximus and gained 4 to 5 mph over stock lowers and 32 Bravo 1's.
I have -2 Imcos I was going to add this year and expected to pick up a couple more mph. My X was 18.25. Yours is 19 ?

So come get these lowers, add a 1" spacer, spin some labbed 32 Maxes and that should maximize your potential without getting into motors.

Call now and receive a viewing of the new boat thrown in.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Questions are a PIA, but ........... what was your original X dimension before the -2" gear cases?

And .......... maybe 15" or 15.5" diameter on the props vs the 16", the 16" just seems big for a Bravo set up?

The reason I ask is I want to do something different for props for next season and I'm just trying to figure out where to start. Appreciate the info, Thanks!
I think your rite

I would suggest you call hering they are always the fastest on a fountain from my experience a new 35 comes with hering props for a reason

I started at a littler over 18x and went up to a littler over 20 you can get on plane without the spacer with the 15.5 hering 6 blades and some cavitaion 4500 rpms but the boat was 4 mph faster handled great

I love my new boat its everything and more than what I thought it would be, but I sure do miss the handling of my 35 and would love to still own it. Congrades to the man who has it now

Last edited by gnorthga; 01-30-2010 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Spell
Old 01-30-2010, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelly O
Ragged,
I was having blow-out issues above 90 with stock lower unit.

My X was 18.25. Yours is 19 ?

Call now and receive a viewing of the new boat thrown in.

My "X" is 19", I've been to 94 with the Precisions 5 blades on it and no blow out at all. It runs right at 90 with the Bravos and it is happy there as well. Maybe the fact that the gear case is up higher makes a difference, not sure but maybe, it is less down there pushing water around.

I have talked to Brian Forehand @ Fountain about running the -2" Sportmasters and he said they had done a couple that way at the end of the '06 model year (last of the side by sides) and they were definetly faster, but had to have the 6 blade Herrings.

Maybe when you get back from your trip we can get together for a look see, would love to see it.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gnorthga
I think your rite

I would suggest you call hering they are always the fastest on a fountain from my experience a new 35 comes with hering props for a reason

I started at a littler over 18x and went up to a littler over 20 you can get on plane without the spacer with the 15.5 hering 6 blades and some cavitaion 4500 rpms but the boat was 4 mph faster handled great

I love my new boat its everything and more than what I thought it would be, but I sure do miss the handling of my 35 and would love to still own it. Congrades to the man who has it now

Thanks for the info!

Your 42 is sweet, but then I'm partial to that black look.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:34 AM
Registered

My "X" is 19", I've been to 94 with the Precisions 5 blades on it and no blow out at all. It runs right at 90 with the Bravos and it is happy there as well. Maybe the fact that the gear case is up higher makes a difference, not sure but maybe, it is less down there pushing water around.

I have talked to Brian Forehand @ Fountain about running the -2" Sportmasters and he said they had done a couple that way at the end of the '06 model year (last of the side by sides) and they were definetly faster, but had to have the 6 blade Herrings.

Maybe when you get back from your trip we can get together for a look see, would love to see it.
Forehand told me and EB the same thing but I have one with 5 blade maximus that says there is atleast on combonation that he has not tried (atleast with imco -2).
If i had to order a set of propellers today and had to answere the question where do you expect an improvement, the only plsce that i could answere is top end and to be honest for what it would cost to order a new set of props (herings) I am unwilling to take that gamble. However come spring we will be doing some more prop testing as i have found some locals that have stuff that may work like
5 blade herrings 32 pitch
maximus 32 non labbed
p5x 33 non labbed
p5x 32 non labbed
and for kicks and gigles i will be trying the quad 4x 31 that were the fastests before the shortie lower units.
Allen
PS ragged before i put those spacer on the shortie drives I would try it as you never know and the potential if it works is big.

Last edited by 29scarab10; 01-31-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:38 AM
Registered

Dam! Allen he gets 100 out of that boat that will be great!
Good lock Ragged keep us posted
by the way Ragged you's guys ever go to the Shogren open house/poker run over in Waukegan ?
Old 02-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 29scarab10
PS ragged before i put those spacer on the shortie drives I would try it as you never know and the potential if it works is big.

I'm just more or less convinced that with my 19' X the -2 shorties will be a royal PIA to get on plane, unless I did the Herrings. By the time you spend the time and money for the couple you might get you might as well just trade it. I have a very old and close friend, we have both been thru the deal of chasing the MPH, he's owns a marina and has spent way more than than I over the years on this deal. We have both come to the conclusion that if you really want a faster boat it is cheaper, not to mention, far simpler to just buy one. At this point I just want to max the performance with a real good set of props.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gnorthga
Good lock Ragged keep us posted
by the way Ragged you's guys ever go to the Shogren open house/poker run over in Waukegan ?

Appreciate the info and I'll keep plugging away, I'm a persistant old fart.

Never been to Shogren's, maybe one of these days Scott will make me a deal I just can't refuse and I'll have to make the trip. They have definetly made a statement in the marine biz with their new facility, the pics are impressive. Just hope they stay tight with Reggie, it's facilities like theirs that will pull Fountain out the other end of this deal.
Old 02-02-2010, 07:13 PM
Registered

I'm just more or less convinced that with my 19' X the -2 shorties will be a royal PIA to get on plane, unless I did the Herrings. By the time you spend the time and money for the couple you might get you might as well just trade it. I have a very old and close friend, we have both been thru the deal of chasing the MPH, he's owns a marina and has spent way more than than I over the years on this deal. We have both come to the conclusion that if you really want a faster boat it is cheaper, not to mention, far simpler to just buy one. At this point I just want to max the performance with a real good set of props.
Bother you are preaching to the choir

I have been down that road and learned a lot form it as well

Allen in Nashville has supercharged motors and can compensate were props are not needed
he will have a fast reliable boat this summer from the set up they have put together with the Nashville guy's

Cant wait to run 100 plus with those guy's on the Tennessee river

We are planning a great poker run in may we would love to have you's guy's
Old 02-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Registered

Hey ragged, Have I missed something you have a 35 525s 19 inch x and hard to get on plan? Does it blow out shake or any of that to get going? Sorry if Ive jumped in and missed something.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.