Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
38 v 42 Lightning >

38 v 42 Lightning

Notices

38 v 42 Lightning

Old 04-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 12 Posts

The one thing I'm learning about boat buying, is that it's nice to have an "idea" of what you want... but don't overlook a lot of similar or comparable deals. You limit yourself to motor/drive/colors/model/years and you end up limiting your market so far that you wind up paying too much in some circumstances. I was looking for a 42, and ended up with a 38.

Too be honest, I've had the 38 a little over a month, been out in it 4 times. It's growing on me day by day. I had a 1999 38 Scarab last year, and let me tell you it's definitely apples to oranges here. The first time out in the Fountain I was unhappy. Cockpit not nearly the size, downstairs not nearly as big. But things started to grow on me and I realized that the Scarab I had is probably more fairly compared to the size of a 42 Fountain.

Either way, the 38 is an excellent all around boat. I do a lot of smaller lake boating, where the 38 is quite excessive, but also boat in a river that can get nasty quickly (same river Beak Boater boats in).

One way or another the 38 is really beginning to grow on me. Bottom line is, if you don't really NEED the 42, don't talk yourself out of 38s. I know all of us often like to have the biggest, as well as the fastest (I'm guilty as well), but keep your options open.

As a side note, I had heard that the downstairs on Fountains was a lot smaller than on my Scarab, but honestly where it matters to me the most (the head/vberth) I can't even tell a difference.

Nice thing about a lot of the guys here is that they've owned a number of different boats, and can point out the nuisances and quirks about a certain boat that you normally may not notice until a couple months into ownership.

Either way, good luck
Old 04-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its nice if you have an idea of what kind of water conditions you will be boating in, how many people usually go out, will you be overnighting on it, do I have to get a bigger tow vehicle, if coming from a boat with a single, how much gas will it use and what octane does it need. These are all questions that play into the type of boat you need. Their is nothing worse than buying the boat of your dreams, and finding out its not very practical for the type of boating you do.
Old 04-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JMPH
I am really undecided on a new boat, I ultimatly want 38 with 600's 06 or newer, but the cockpit room is a killer. I am going from a 2000 35 which will has more room than a newer boat.I realize because of the full stagger. Scott at shogren has been very heplfull. So I realy think I have to go to 42, which I realy don't want to. Trailering, lift ,dock all set up for my 35 , 38 will be okay , 42 have to change everything. We boat mostly on a river so 38 is perfect. Want ot go over 100 so I feel better in a 38 than a 35.So when the right one comes along even maybe a 35 , 38 or 42.Guess I want my cake and eat it to.
hey, just curious which 35 fountain is yours? i boat out of crystal beach.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:55 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Mine is all white , usualy anchored just past bay beach
Old 04-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by custom29scarab
Eddie
I know of a 38 with staggered 525's that maybe for sale in GA. If you are interested send me a PM. A friend told me about it this week. It is not listed anywhere but heard from a friend that it was for sale. Let me know.

Thanks and I also talked to Rob on Friday he's got a buddy with a nice 38 for sale in FL too. I'm pretty sure I want to do a 42 with the water conditions we boat in at Lake of the Ozarks. I drive all over the lake on a Saturday afternoon and don't want to worry about the rollers. Or my wife telling me to slow down

[QUOTE-slow ride]Keep looking Eddie, the right boat will turn up. Will let you know if any pop up under the radar[/QUOTE]

Ben - Marks' 35 is sold so I have him to deal with too Glad to know I have you in my corner
Old 04-25-2010, 05:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie
I saw that and it's a nice boat, I'm not wanting blower motors to be honest.

Does anyone have details on the 2004 525 boat Legend has?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o33307-en.html
will that boat run in the 90,s and does it have a fridge Im also looking for something new ,my boat has air ,fridge and large cockpit and is not that bad in the bumps 97 mph full of fuel THEY JUST DROPED THE PRICE 20000.00 its a sharp looking boat
Old 04-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 249 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by eddie
I saw that and it's a nice boat, I'm not wanting blower motors to be honest.

Does anyone have details on the 2004 525 boat Legend has?

http://www.offshoreonly.com/classifi...o33307-en.html
Beautiful boat!!!
Old 04-26-2010, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

eddie check your pm's.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:07 PM
Registered

Dude, Trust me when I say for saturdays at the lake on the 4th weekend you want a 42, not a 35 or a 38, a 42.

Get a 38 and you will be wanting out of it in a year or 2. You will find the right boat, just be patient. 42 is a physically larger boat all the way around and the extra weight will make a difference when the washing machine is on the agitation cycle.

If you decide to sell it down the line the 42 will move easier. That's my opinion, YMMV! PS, got any water yet, that's going to be one very long ramp out to the dock!
Old 04-26-2010, 10:16 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Once you drive the 42 you will KNOW the difference!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.