Notices

Batteries

Old 05-27-2010, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi BZ,

The top post locations on group 27s should be within an inch or two, depending on the manufacturer. pookie, as Wally and our video indicated, all our batteries are manufactured in Mexico.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Old 05-27-2010, 08:10 PM
BZ
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OptimaJim
Hi BZ,

The top post locations on group 27s should be within an inch or two, depending on the manufacturer. pookie, as Wally and our video indicated, all our batteries are manufactured in Mexico.

Jim McIlvaine
thanx
Old 05-31-2010, 07:48 PM
Registered

Received 4,290 Likes on 1,238 Posts

I have two Blue tops, I charge them with one charger and the switch set to "ALL" is this correct? Or should I charge them seperately?

This weekend after they were both charged engines would not crank over when set to ALL. Only when set to "1" number two even thou fully charged would also not start the motor.. I`m guessing the battery is dead. It only seems to hold enough power to crank over for a short period of time.

If I take it to Autozone will they be able to tell me if it`s no good?

Jim, anyway to determine the age by the numbers on teh battery?
I bought the boat last year and the owner said he replaced a battery.. I`m not sure which one thou..
Old 06-01-2010, 08:09 AM
Registered

Hi ICDEPPL, without actually taking a look at the way your boat is wired, it’s difficult for me to say with certainty which setting is correct for charging. I was helping a friend work on an Elco electric launch last weekend, which has eight 8-D batteries and four chargers. When he first took possession of the boat, all the batteries needed to be replaced. When he called Elco and asked for assistance with the wiring and charging configuration, he found out the wiring was totally different than the way the boat was originally configured at the factory. Apparently, when the batteries were replaced by the previous owner, the marina doing the work changed the configuration, which ultimately shortened the lifespan of those batteries.

You do have the option of charging each battery separately. If you can fully-charge a battery (13.0-13.2 volts for BlueTops except 34Ms) and it maintains a charge close to that level for 12-24 hours afterwards, without being connected to any draws, it’s probably in good shape. If the battery can hold a charge when disconnected from your boat, but loses voltage when connected, you probably have a current draw on your boat that is draining the battery. Autozone can perform a similar “charge and check” for you.

You can determine the age of our batteries through the first four digits of the serial number. The first digit is the year and the next three digits are the Julian day of production, so all batteries being produced today will start with “0152” because today is the 152nd day of 2010.

Jim McIlvaine
Old 06-01-2010, 04:23 PM
Registered

Thank you for your answer.. I charged the battery to 13.xx but as soon as I take it off the charger (nothing connected took the battery out the boat) the voltage starts to drop.. within a minute its down to 12.4v So Thats toast.
One more question, where can I find the serial number?

thanx
Dan
Old 06-02-2010, 09:08 AM
Registered

Hi Dan,

The serial number can be found on a white, 1"x3" "non-spillable" decal on the side of your battery. There is also a side burn code stamped into the side of the case. The first number will indicate the year and the next three numbers will indicate the Julian day, just like the serial number. I hope that helps.

Jim McIlvaine
Old 07-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Registered

oddssey allllll the way . optima is old school . a pc925 starts my 525 no problem . I have two & also have a jammin system . Best thing is they weigh only 26 lbs each . I also had these in my eliminator & they worked perfect . they are so small like 7x7x6
Old 07-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Registered

I have had very good luck with the WestMarine AGM batteries.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Registered

Well, I think it's time for new batts. I'm charging them now to confirm they'll hold a charge or are dying a slow death. Going on 5+ years I think the WalMart batts are done. W/a single 509, I run two 800CCA cranking and two deep cycle for stereo. The two cranking are wired together and the two deep cycle are together and the entire set is split w/a perko. If found group 27 batteries:
Costco $85 (1yr free replacement)
Autozone $100+ (but didn't even have grp27)
WalMart $88 (3yr free replacement)
I've searched the threads and still think the WalMarts are the best option based on price and warranty.....thoughts/opinions?
Old 08-17-2011, 08:32 AM
Registered

I had two Optimas, 6 months old, in my Excursion, one shorted out took out my alternator. Got rid of them both..
never again.

Interstate has been problem free so far..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.